Is John Williams a Hans Zimmer Fan?

BLUMENKOHL

Is John Williams a Hans Zimmer fan?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Is he?

• Yes
    • Yes

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

It'd be great to know what Williams does when he isn't writing concert pieces or film scores. Does he regularly listen to the work of other modern day film composers? Does he rely more on classical pieces from the likes of Mozart or Beethoven?

He still studies. He'll pull out a random score of Hayden, Mozart, or such and plays it for fun...and golfs.

Just now, crumbs said:

I never knew JW played golf! How awesome.

Assuming you weren't joking... :P

It's his biggest non-musical hobby.  But the cumulative back injuries that have had a big impact on him lately have probably slowed it down.  Apparently he's very good too.

2 hours ago, Lhokne Mulb said:

You're a fine pop poster, but not much of a post composer.

You will never touch Incanus, Marcus, and TheGreyPilgrim.

A good lesson for crumbs, who thinks he can make mincemeat out of the maestro.  The wretch!

My suspicion whenever Williams says these things about contemporary film music is that he hasn't actually heard a single note from anyone, he's just being nice, or saying something as general encouragement.   I doubt he's familiar with anyone's music.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No one would ever compare Williams and Zimmer if they didn't both compose for film. Like no one compares Beethoven and Spandau Ballet. 

Sound Of My Soul is a great song nonetheless!

that is just snobbish nonsense.  Hans Zimmer has had just as big an impact on film scoring as John Williams. No his music doesn't sound anything like JW's . Why should it ? . But judging by the sound of the last 15 years of film scoring I'd say Hans is doing rather well. 

t

I'm a fan of Zimmer, but Williams creates music that can be studied for decades and still surprise you. Zimmer is pretty much more of a surface composer. His musical depth is like a swimming pool, whereas Williams is like the Mariana Trench.

Didn't Zimmer say that one of the reasons he got into film composition was because he wanted to write music like John Williams? You can certainly hear some of that influence in scores like Lion King and Prince of Egypt. But Zimmer also has his own voice that the audience seems to love and that has got him far in the industry.

And John Williams is a fan of everything.

23 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm a fan of Zimmer, but Williams creates music that can be studied for decades and still surprise you. Zimmer is pretty much more of a surface composer. His musical depth is like a swimming pool, whereas Williams is like the Mariana Trench.

Written like a true neophyte.

8 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Written like a true neophyte.

Forgive me, but I've never needed more than a couple of listens to grasp a full Zimmer score. That doesn't change how I'm still a fan of his stuff.

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

Why the distinction? I thought you were ardently against artificial constructs? 

In spite of what I think of Zimmer, in the now, "back in the day", he faked everyone out by doing the entire score to "Driving Miss Daisy" with nothing but off-the-shelf Roland gear.

That was 25 years ago, and today, it is the "norm" and not the "exception".

The term "Midi-Mock-Up" is dying a well deserved death, because those people who would try, and identify them as such, simply don't know what the f*ck they're talking about, even though they *think* that they do!

There is a certain poster on these boards,( as well as other boards ) who is so keen on being a fan of another "Midi-Mock-Up" artist, that he would have tried to give Hans Zimmer "advice" on how to "really do it!" 

25 years ago!

This same poster did not get that Zimmer worked his magic, with the tools available to him "at the time" while his "hero" was clearly working with programs that would leave Zimmer's tools "in the past." Yet , Zimmer was still ahead of his time!

The first noted piano sound, that was produced within a "synth keyboard" was on the market, as the Ensoniq Mirage in 1985!
Even here in Anchorage!

Five years before "Driving Miss Daisy!". More or less.

And I would really love to know if that "Midi-Mock-Up" fan  really knows of what he speaks, or if, he's just a narrow-minded
"fan-boy" to the exclusion of all else!

"Subjective" instead of "Objective"......

......and also if this d*ck knows anything about what it takes to write,record and produce music.

7 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I like Zimmer for two reasons, but he will never write stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHQrcyerVQQ

3 hours ago, skyy38 said:

In spite of what I think of Zimmer, in the now, "back in the day", he faked everyone out by doing the entire score to "Driving Miss Daisy" with nothing but off-the-shelf Roland gear.

That was 25 years ago, and today, it is the "norm" and not the "exception".

The term "Midi-Mock-Up" is dying a well deserved death, because those people who would try, and identify them as such, simply don't know what the f*ck they're talking about, even though they *think* that they do!

There is a certain poster on these boards,( as well as other boards ) who is so keen on being a fan of another "Midi-Mock-Up" artist, that he would have tried to give Hans Zimmer "advice" on how to "really do it!" 

25 years ago!

This same poster did not get that Zimmer worked his magic, with the tools available to him "at the time" while his "hero" was clearly working with programs that would leave Zimmer's tools "in the past." Yet , Zimmer was still ahead of his time!

The first noted piano sound, that was produced within a "synth keyboard" was on the market, as the Ensoniq Mirage in 1985!
Even here in Anchorage!

Five years before "Driving Miss Daisy!". More or less.

And I would really love to know if that "Midi-Mock-Up" fan  really knows of what he speaks, or if, he's just a narrow-minded
"fan-boy" to the exclusion of all else!

"Subjective" instead of "Objective"......

......and also if this d*ck knows anything about what it takes to write,record and produce music.

I like Zimmer for two reasons, but he will never write stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHQrcyerVQQ

No ...but I doubt he would want to. That's not his approach. He has a very firm grasp on most ( if not all ) of the techniques involved but I suspect he thinks that JW does it better so why try !. He is on record for saying " Close encounters is as good as anything Stravinsky wrote ! " JW pretty much cornered  the market with "the battle of yavin" style of writing I think for the big screen, and this was 10 Years before Hans started. Hans did something very different. And yes you could say simpler but as Ravel put it " Complex Not Complicated "

t

18 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

A good lesson for crumbs, who thinks he can make mincemeat out of the maestro.  The wretch!

I take great offense at your insinuation that I would learn anything!

As far as making mincemeat out of Maestro Zimmer, I've long since grown out of cannibalistic tendencies. I'll take a quality rump steak any day of the week.

15 minutes ago, tedfud said:

No ...but I doubt he would want to. That's not his approach. He has a very firm grasp on most ( if not all ) of the techniques involved but I suspect he thinks that JW does it better so why try !. He is on record for saying " Close encounters is as good as anything Stravinsky wrote ! " JW pretty much cornered  the market with "the battle of yavin" style of writing I think for the big screen, and this was 10 Years before Hans started. Hans did something very different. And yes you could say simpler but as Ravel put it " Complex Not Complicated "

Sorry ted, it may be meant as a compliment but it's essentially relativistic rubbish. Zimmer has not a firm grasp on counterpoint, i mean in a classical sense, nor could he be expected to know about the finer points of orchestral writing - range of orchestral instruments and such, he stated as much - so it just isn't true that he didn't touch big neo-romantic writing because of Williams, and of all things, Star Wars battle music.

It's just not his natural habitat. Period.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Sorry ted, it may be meant as a compliment but it's essentially relativistic rubbish. Zimmer has not a firm grasp on counterpoint, i mean in a classical sense, nor could he be expected to know about the finer points of orchestral writing - range of orchestral instruments and such, he stated as much - so it just isn't true that he didn't touch big neo-romantic writing because of Williams, and of all things, Star Wars battle music.

It's just not his natural habitat. Period.

By choice NOT inability ......if he wanted to write that kind of music. He would learn all that he needed. He doesn't want to. Yet people assume  this is because he can't.( i am not saying that is you ) But such assumptions are fatuous. Hans is extremely intelligent, an astonishingly hard worker and really ( after writing 160 plus films scores ) quite capable of turning his hand to any style that he wishes. He deliberately  set out to capture a market and approach that no one else had. 

but I suspect you agree. 

t

That one sentence, 'by choice not by inability' triggers the answer 'you are totally talking about me here!'...but seriously, i still find the whole notion could woulda shoulda in the extreme. What we know for a fact is that Hans Zimmer till the ripe age of 60 hasn't felt the need to upgrade his skills in that department (again, why should he?) and apart from silencing the Williams sycophants here, why does it matter if he could? 

It's totally meaningless if HZ could write a passacaglia like Goldsmith's battle cues in BLUE MAX if he only would get the ole theory handbook out of the dustbin because his accomplishments lay elsewhere  - say, writing a score like K2, something old school composers couldn't manage, hell, most classical trained composers have the hardest time coming up with a catchy tune (that undervalued capacity) so let Zimmer write his stuff - that hopefully never will try to outdo 70's Williams baroque.

20 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's totally meaningless if HZ could write a passacaglia like Goldsmith's battle cues in BLUE MAX if he only would get the ole theory handbook out of the dustbin because his accomplishments lay elsewhere  - say, writing a score like K2, something old school composers couldn't manage, hell, most classical trained composers have the hardest time coming up with a catchy tune (that undervalued capacity) so let Zimmer write his stuff - that hopefully never will try to outdo 70's Williams baroque.

yes it is...I agree. I just wish he was judged on what he does that what he doesn't.....And I think JW IS a fan BTW

t

Because I visit JWfan every day, and if there had been any interview which stated that Williams is dying to hear what Zimmer will do for Batman v Superman then I would have been aware of it.

Williams obviously knows who Zimmer is. He's obviously familiar with some of his music, since they work in the same industry. But I doubt it would go any further then "having an appreciation" for the music of his colleague.

Being a fan is something completely different.

Williams might honour the fact that Zimmer is extremely successful since decades in an industry that is notorious for gutting talent and then letting it rot in the ditch - so Zimmer is a logical heir to THAT aspect of Williams' career (and JW is on record saying that there is a lot of strength required), but on musical terms i don't think Williams loses much sleep over Zimmer scores (or Horner or Beltrami or Djawadi scores, for that matter).

11 minutes ago, publicist said:

Williams might honour the fact that Zimmer is extremely successful since decades in an industry that is notorious for gutting talent and then letting it rot in the ditch - so Zimmer is a logical heir to THAT aspect of Williams' career (and JW is on record saying that there is a lot of strength required), but on musical terms i don't think Williams loses much sleep over Zimmer scores (or Horner or Beltrami or Djawadi scores, for that matter).

seriously "loses much sleep "......why on earth would he ? Is that how appreciation is measured ?

t

The content of this thread was so predictable, it's kind of sad in a way.

Like many have already said, John Williams has probably heard some of Zimmer's bigger works, and likely respects his enormous success in the industry, as one would expect of a class-act gentlemen like himself. But I doubt he's really a "fan", in the sense that he often listens to his work.

And the comparisons between both composers made here are often silly. They're both hallmarks of the industry and exceptionally talented at what they do best.

I remember reading in an interview he doesn't listen to music often, because he's always at work, and listening to music takes away his focus in the work at hand.

But my guess is classical and maybe some jazz, as Stefan said.

I'm guessing his knowledge of contemporary scores comes more from watching the films they're in than listening to their albums.

He has also said in the past , if my memory is not failing me, that he's not much of a moviegoer, although I could be wrong.

I really think he just enjoys music and works for film because he had to make a living, but he's not much into movies.

John is a gentleman and would never say anything out of place.

Now the late great Jerry Goldsmith would call it out for the sh!# that it is.

1 hour ago, Scarpia said:

He has also said in the past , if my memory is not failing me, that he's not much of a moviegoer, although I could be wrong.

I really think he just enjoys music and works for film because he had to make a living, but he's not much into movies.

Possibly close to the truth but strange.  I can't imagine doing the job without having a real passion for film.  Maybe for his generation it was easier to do, it was a newer thing, it was just another gig, another way to do music and get paid for it.  You could kind of remain detached from the medium itself.  I can't see many people in today's world having that attitude about it though.

Yeah. I read the Rózsa bio where he, always the erudite scholar, states that he could have cared less about having to write music for Lana Turner reciting risible dialogue (and so forth) but that it was well paid and essentially he hoped that he was able to musically help a little. He never did go to the movies if he wasn't paid for it. He rather would study music, go to concerts, visit ancient cities - and that's the impression even James Horner gave, at least publicly.

Lest we forget this one Jerry Goldsmith quote from the aborted bio where he was invited to Cannes or some such big event and was asked by an interviewer obviously very much awed about the current movie line-up (including 'The Talented Mr. Ripley', so it must have been mid- to late 90's) to which Goldsmith rebuffed that they're just some effin' movies, and who the fuck really cares?

Ahh...our film composers. A strange breed, indeed.