Questions re: Williams' For Your Consideration (FYC) CDs

thx99

• What is the earliest FYC/Oscar promo CD released for a John Williams score?  I believe it's Angela's Ashes (1999) but I'm looking for some sort of confirmation.  I'm referring only to CDs, not promotional LPs or cassettes that might have been released earlier on.

• Were there FYC CDs released for any of the following films (from 1999 or later):
    • Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
    • The Patriot (2000)
    • Minority Report (2002)
    • Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)
    • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Thanks in advance!

I think Angela's Ashes was the first.

And for all those other scores if they had FYCs they would be identical to the OSTs anyway

• 5 weeks later...

Well, just discovered that Stepmom had an FYC release in 1998, so that officially makes it the earliest Williams' FYC CD release discovered thus far.

And yes, Jay, I know there is no additional music compared to the commercial release - in fact, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" has been left off - but my interest in these FYC releases is primarily as a collector.  Note the spelling error in track 13. ;)

s-l1600.jpg

• 1 year later...

I had somehow forgotten that AI was Warner Bros.  I noticed recently that Ready Player One is distributed by Warner and was wondering the last time Spielberg had worked with them.

Looks like The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, AI, and now RPO are the only ones distributed by WB.

21 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I had somehow forgotten that AI was Warner Bros.  I noticed recently that Ready Player One is distributed by Warner and was wondering the last time Spielberg had worked with them.

I made a list you might enjoy!

Spielberg has spread the love over many various studios over the years eh

Though the closest he's come to working with Fox is the US distribution of Minority Report, and international distribution of Lincoln

And he never worked with MGM/UA at all!

21 hours ago, thx99 said:

FYI, just realized that the Stepmom FYC is an HDCD, while the commercial release was not apparently.

Same thing happened with JNH's Snow Falling on Cedars.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Spielberg has spread the love over many various studios over the years eh

Though the closest he's come to working with Fox is the US distribution of Minority Report, and international distribution of Lincoln

And he never worked with MGM/UA at all!

Unless you count Poltergeist. ;)

On 14/08/2017 at 5:57 PM, crumbs said:

Rather incredible isn't it? Don't even know what unreleased music it contains. :mellow:

Pretty sure it contains some, looking at track titles.

The BFG FYC should absolutely contain unreleased music.  It's a damn shame it hasn't leaked.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yVGt7auWXg-J1nKqERZ6Bg07SIaDIkT70-sxkx1t_3w/pubhtml

We don't even know the freaking lengths of the tracks!

The Angela's ashes FYC is missing from my discography, same cover and content than the original version with narration?

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

The Angela's ashes FYC is missing from my discography, same cover and content than the original version with narration?

The FYC does NOT include narration, and two non-Williams tracks from the commercial release are not on the FYC (Track 7 "The Dipsy Doodle" and Track 10 "Pennies From Heaven").

And the covers do differ (US commercial release is on the left, FYC is on the right):

Spoiler

comparison.png

32 minutes ago, thx99 said:

The FYC does NOT include narration, and two non-Williams tracks from the commercial release are not on the FYC (Track 7 "The Dipsy Doodle" and Track 10 "Pennies From Heaven").

And the covers do differ (US commercial release is on the left, FYC is on the right):

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks I will add it soon to my discography. 

The FYC release of Angela's Ashes is identical to the normal Decca CD except with the non-Williams pop songs removed.  Only the US Sony Classical version has narration

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The FYC release of Angela's Ashes is identical to the normal Decca CD except with the non-Williams pop songs removed.  Only the US Sony Classical version has narration

Yes and yes, though the Decca cover is a hybrid of the FYC (the tone) and the US Sony Classical version (the text), but with a different background...

51BQSDF7F0L.jpg

Plus, there's a second Decca version with an entirely different cover:

R-5849486-1404403612-2515.jpeg.jpg

• 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, E-Wan said:

Please does anybody know where to find the complete list of all For Your Consideration (FYC) promo CDs of John Williams' scores?

Visit @Bespin's Williams Discography HERE and search the page for the word "consideration".

• 3 years later...