The Force Awakens Music Covers

Oboejdub

In that vein, here's a piano cover of The Jedi Steps and Finale at what appears to be a high school talent show.

Seems based on the published piano arrangement, but the kid makes at least one interesting performance choice, emphasizing the Imperial March chord progression with triplets.

And it's really fun to hear the high school crowd love it.

On 02/04/2016 at 4:53 PM, Ricard said:

Aww, they skipped Finn's theme. :(

But still, a pretty good job! (and that percussion section in MotR was dope)

30 minutes ago, aviazn said:

In that vein, here's a piano cover of The Jedi Steps and Finale at what appears to be a high school talent show.

Seems based on the published piano arrangement, but the kid makes at least one interesting performance choice, emphasizing the Imperial March chord progression with triplets.

And it's really fun to hear the high school crowd love it.

Very nice, although he shouldn't feel the need to play The Jedi Steps so loudly (it's marked piano in the original sheet music).

Maybe a skilled, professional performance would convince me otherwise, but I just don't think Jedi Steps translates well to piano, needs that gorgeous string section.

11 hours ago, loert said:

Well, this is awkward........

My latest John Williams themed arrangement for two pianos: The Jedi Steps and Finale from The Force Awakens (end credits)

Indeed, it was pretty difficult to pull off some of the orchestral textures in this one. And it doesn't help that my piano sample has some sort of ugly compression applied to it, which signifcantly reduces the dynamic range. :( But I still had a lot of fun making this, and I hope you get some enjoyment out of listening to it! :D 

Wow, fantastic work! I love how your second part gives extra movement to the first broad statement of Rey's Theme, which is a part where I thought every piano cover I've heard has a tendency to plod. Finn's theme sounds FANTASTIC with that driving right hand figure, and the layering with Poe's theme is glorious. And the full Rebel Fanfare—yes!! Woot!

Very, very impressive transcription @loert, thanks so much for sharing. I've been working on my own solo piano version for fun and you've definitely inspired me to continue on it (much simpler than your version of course).

I also adore your arrangement of The Falcon for two pianos. Fantastic stuff. Very inspiring.

11 hours ago, loert said:

Well, this is awkward........

My latest John Williams themed arrangement for two pianos: The Jedi Steps and Finale from The Force Awakens (end credits)

Indeed, it was pretty difficult to pull off some of the orchestral textures in this one. And it doesn't help that my piano sample has some sort of ugly compression applied to it, which signifcantly reduces the dynamic range. :( But I still had a lot of fun making this, and I hope you get some enjoyment out of listening to it! :D 

I love it! I think you pulled it off very well!

• 3 months later...

Little snippet of "Jedi Steps and Finale" from the La Verdi Orchestra. I like hearing Finn's motif closer to the Follow Me/Falcon tempo. The OST version is okay but it's just great with that extra kick, especially when the full Poe's theme statement comes in.

I get the feeling John extended that after the scoring sessions were finished. It must be his preferred version because he conducted the extended version himself at Tanglewood last month. Every time I listen to the OST it does feel incomplete or microedited at that part, having heard his glorious little extension there which punches home Poe's themes.

Would be interesting to hear the earlier version of the end credits suite, where he was apparently unsatisfied with his blending of Finn and Poe's themes. I think the film/OST version was recorded in the last batch of sessions, so he likely tinkered with it over several months.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Symphony Hall:)

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Symphony Hall:)

Oops, my bad! That'll teach me to post at 3am in the morning! ;)

I wonder if he'll perform Jedi Steps at Tanglewood next month?

On 7/20/2016 at 1:35 AM, crumbs said:

Would be interesting to hear the earlier version of the end credits suite, where he was apparently unsatisfied with his blending of Finn and Poe's themes.

Oooh, did he mention that in an interview? Which one was that? Must have missed it.

• 1 year later...