"fyc" might mean "sol" as far as the Oscars are concerned.

skyy38

TFA score was not up for best score , as far as the "Globes" were concerned.

Neither was Bridge Of Spies.

And damn me to hell if I can even remember what won for so-called "best song."

Congratulations to Ennio Morricone for "Hateful Eight!"

John Williams has at least four more years to "do stuff" according to you!

fyc,, in case some of you still didn't know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx7A4sxJi7c

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Sorry to break it to you but TFA wasn't released in time to be eligible for any awards, hence the lack of nominations in any category.

Last time I checked, any movie that was released in a year *before* the awards shows of the *next*  year, were eligible.

Case in point.

The Silence Of The Lambs was released in February of 1991, which made it more than eligible to win the Oscars that it did the following year. (1992 Academy Awards )

But really, why do I have to explain this to you, since The Revenent won three globes tonight?

Does that mean that *it* wasn't "released in time...." also?

Face it. The only recognition that TFA is gonna get, is the baftas.

And, as with anything else "Globes-Wise", if you didn't get mentioned "there", your "Oscar Chances" are slim to *none*.

8 minutes ago, skyy38 said:

Last time I checked, any movie that was released in a year *before* the awards shows of the *next*  year, were eligible.

Case in point.

The Silence Of The Lambs was released in February of 1991, which made it more than eligible to win the Oscars that it did the following year. (1992 Academy Awards )

But really, why do I have to explain this to you, since The Revenent won three globes tonight?

Does that mean that *it* wasn't "released in time...." also?

Face it. The only recognition that TFA is gonna get, is the baftas.

And, as with anything else "Globes-Wise", if you didn't get mentioned "there", your "Oscar Chances" are slim to *none*.

The Revenant screened for critics and awards consideration back in November. The Force Awakens didn't have any advanced screenings for awards consideration until mere days before the wide release as Disney wanted to keep the movie under wraps.

The Golden Globes announced their nominees 6 days before anyone even saw The Force Awakens so how on earth was it meant to get nominated for anything, least of all Best Score?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

They certainly rely on his music for all their interludes!

This. I remember the War Horse - Tintin oscars, when the overall concept for the ceremony was movie music. I would say 80% of the music William Ross' orchestra played was by John Williams. They still managed to not give him the oscar, though.

4 hours ago, skyy38 said:

You should give knowing what you're talking about a try sometime.  It's pretty cool.

7 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

This. I remember the War Horse - Tintin oscars, when the overall concept for the ceremony was movie music. I would say 80% of the music William Ross' orchestra played was by John Williams. They still managed to not give him the oscar, though.

Well, that would just be too sensible!

Besides, Gustavo Santaolalla had another 25 minute guitar solo score that deserved it more. :P

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Especially when you think about all the amazing film composers who've never won.

Brokeback Mountain beat the sublime Memoirs of a Geisha, and then Babel beat the sublime Pan's Labyrinth.  Oscar makes awful decisions every year in multiple categories, but those are of the most egregious I can remember.  Santaolalla must have had video footage of numerous Academy members committing crimes.

As for this year, I think Williams is going to win for The Force Awakens.  Morricone might take it from him, but I suspect a lot of Academy members are less than enchanted by The Hateful Eight.  Giacchino stands a good chance, but I think a lot of people will feel like giving it to Williams.  Good on 'em if so!

1 hour ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Brokeback Mountain beat the sublime Memoirs of a Geisha, and then Babel beat the sublime Pan's Labyrinth.  Oscar makes awful decisions every year in multiple categories, but those are of the most egregious I can remember.  Santaolalla must have had video footage of numerous Academy members committing crimes.

He has an exotic-sounding Spanish surname. The academy seems to like that.

8 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

As for this year, I think Williams is going to win for The Force Awakens

No way. The Academy doesn't care for sequel scores. I expect them to give Williams another token nomination maybe, but there's no way TFA is going to win Best Score.

The Academy doesn't like sequel scores, but they LOVE giving awards that seem like career-achievement awards.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Looks like you need to select an avatar, Bryant

Done!

I think TFA is about 50/50 on if it will receive a nomination or not.  I think it will probably snag one.

But there's simply no way it's going to win.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

No way. The Academy doesn't care for sequel scores. I expect them to give Williams another token nomination maybe, but there's no way TFA is going to win Best Score.

I totally agree, aside from the fact that TFA was just totally un-inspired.

Morricone is 4 years older than Williams......yet....no one mentions that he is on deaths ledge with a strong tailwind......

9 minutes ago, skyy38 said:

Golden Globes or Oscars, the fact remains.

If you don't get a "kiss" from the Globes, then, the " tmtmtmOscartmtmtm" is beyond your reach.

Equally, winning the Golden Globe, as Williams did for Memoirs of a Geisha, has no bearing on how the Academy decides to vote. The Best Original Score category has long seemed a "consolation prize" category for the films they snub elsewhere.

Also, enough with the constant morbid posts about Williams' age. People on a fan forum don't need to read that shit.

Sorry Skyy but you are empiracally wrong. If you continue your line of discussion you come across as a troll and not an active participant in a discussion forum.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Sorry Skyy but you are empiracally wrong. If you continue your line of discussion you come across as a troll and not an active participant in a discussion forum.

Who needs facts when you have an opinion.

6 hours ago, skyy38 said:

Morricone is 4 years older than Williams......yet....no one mentions that he is on deaths ledge with a strong tailwind......

That's probably because he's not. Have you seen him recently? The man is still brimming with life. Definitely a worthy figure to draw inspiration from.

Just listening to Morricone's soundtrack for the h8ful eight.

A well deserved Golden Globe. What a damn good and haunting score! It somehow reminds me of Danny Elfmans scores for a Simple Plan, Doloris Claiborne and also Fargo.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

The Best Original Score category has long seemed a "consolation prize" category for the films they snub elsewhere.

Which is how I see Thomas Newsman winning one for Bridge of Spies. As a consolation prize. It'll frustrate everyone here that the first Spielberg film to win Best Score since Schindler's List is also the first one without a Williams score since The Color Purple. There'll be people bitching about it for years.

3 hours ago, pete said:

What does the "sol" in the thread's title mean?? 

Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-La-Si-Do

It clearly indicates the Oscar status of The Force Awakens score: as it is halfway passed the full scale, it means it will get nominated, but is not going to win.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Which is how I see Thomas Newsman winning one for Bridge of Spies. As a consolation prize. It'll frustrate everyone here that the first Spielberg film to win Best Score since Schindler's List is also the first one without a Williams score since The Color Purple. There'll be people bitching about it for years.

Outrageous!