Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies At 69

A24

Bowie was charismatic in Scorsese's The Last Temptation:

last_temptation_of_christ_2_zps0ymjrnaz.

He was electrifying in The Prestige:

prestige_sparks_full_zps7o0ffyab.jpg

He was hypnotizing in The Man Who Fell To Earth:

BDDefinitionManWhoFelltoEarth-1-1080_zps

Alex

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I was listening to some bits of his new album the other day (and liked it). Now, I guess, it makes more sense why it felt so...

Karol

Love how he goes into the closet in Lazarus. Very strange now that he's dead.

Saddest news in a long time. I saw him perform live in the 80s, loved his music and his film performances, especially The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Hunger and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Eternally thankful, David.

david-bowie-the-hunger.gif

This must have been the first soundtrack I ever owned (on cassette), before I even knew what a soundtrack is. I didn't know the film then, either; the cassette was a gift from my grandmother.

Two of my heroes, Boulez and Bowie, gone in a week. :(

I always considered Bring Me to the Disco King one of his most underrated songs. The Reality recording is stark yet the most poignant.

Damn. Still finding this hard to process.

RIP

R.I.P. to a true one-off ... a unique artist, his ability to convincingly dabble and experiment in many musical genres was remarkable and his influence on other artists (and indeed on culture in general) is incalculable.

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

What are everyone's favourite album? Young Americans for me.

Low or Station to Station.

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Bowie was charismatic in Scorsese's The Last Temptation:

last_temptation_of_christ_2_zps0ymjrnaz.

He was electrifying in The Prestige:

prestige_sparks_full_zps7o0ffyab.jpg

He was hypnotizing in The Man Who Fell To Earth:

BDDefinitionManWhoFelltoEarth-1-1080_zps

Alex

He was one of those people who just exploded on screen. The way he looked, walked, the voice.

He will mainly be remembered for his music, and rightly so. But his contributions to film are of great value too.

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Had no idea he had cancer.

Well that's the point, he didn't really tell anybody, it wasn't public knowledge until after he passed.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Apparently the last picture taken of him. On his birthday just a few days ago by his wife Iman.

10606309_10153380085067005_2077241634593241776_n.jpg

Wow, it's hard to believe just a few days after being so full of life he is gone.  Terrible illness.  Legendary man.

We watched the Blackstar and Lazarus videos last night.  Cool, surreal stuff.

Then we starting trying to find videos for his old hits on youtube.  Found the videos for Space Oddity (two different versions, for two different versions of the song), Let's Dance, Heroes, Dancing In The Street (what an embarassing video...), and a Soul Train performance of Young Americans.  Couldn't find a video for Changes, Fame or a few others.

I've never listened to any of his albums before, I should check some out sometime.

He's one of the artists I really love but never managed to purchase an album for. Just the other day I was thinking about amending that and picking up his discography, like I did for The Doors, not too long ago. Been listening to the Best Of Bowie compilation and a handful of other songs for years, though.

I absolutely adore these two covers of his music:

14 hours ago, Jay said:

I've never listened to any of his albums before, I should check some out sometime.

But ... you are familiar with his music, right? 

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But ... you are familiar with his music, right? 

Obviously.  Please read my posts more carefully before saying something like that as I must have mentioned 8-10 or more songs of his in it!

You can be familiar with the radio hits and singles without ever listening to an album. For example, Pink Floyd and The Who are more rewarding listening to as albums instead of the greatest hits. But I've tried to listen to Aerosmith albums but only have the patience for the radio hits. 

I'm guilty of that too. I have a lot of Bowie songs but don't own a single album, and only ever downloaded miscellaneous songs. I did order Blackstar last night, but it's no surprise that every Bowie album at Amazon is out of stock. 

8 minutes ago, Woj said:

You can be familiar with the radio hits and singles without ever listening to an album

This.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Obviously.  Please read my posts more carefully before saying something like that as I must have mentioned 8-10 or more songs of his in it!

Which you could have learned thanks to your exploration on youtube. :)