Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies At 69

A24

Oh, no, that wasn't the case.  I knew what songs I wanted to type into youtube based on my prior knowledge of all his big hits.

I'm in the same boat as I really only know the songs on the radio.  Never owned an album but I did listen to "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" a couple of times.   I applaud him for switching up styles, seems like there's stuff out there for everyone.

I can only imagine Williams has a banded pack of handwritten notes that he keeps stuffing into a sock drawer thinking it goes onto the internets.  He's secretly joined in our conversations and even started threads like "My Direct Contact Information" and "My Least Plagiaristic Cues", among countless others.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:02 PM, Sharky said:

Two of my heroes, Boulez and Bowie, gone in a week. :(

I always considered Bring Me to the Disco King one of his most underrated songs. The Reality recording is stark yet the most poignant.

Damn. Still finding this hard to process.

RIP

"Bring Me The Disco king" is the best song on "Reality", by a country mile. The album sounds great in 5.1, btw.

52 minutes ago, Richard said:

"Bring Me The Disco king" is the best song on "Reality", by a country mile. The album sounds great in 5.1, btw.

Reality is a huge let-down coming off of Heathen, which BTW is a great introduction to later, pre-exile Bowie. For Jay, Koray and nightscape I recommend listening to his albums on Spotify.

Of his 90s singles, I'm Afraid of Americans (a collab with Trent Reznor) from Earthling is one of his most arresting.

Ryuichi Sakamoto reflects on his unique time with David Bowie:

http://www.factmag.com/2016/01/13/ryuichi-sakamoto-david-bowie/

Sakamoto: I never pursued an acting career, it’s not my intention, but it’s a fact that I acted in a film for the very first time with David Bowie, who was amazing. And it was my very first film music. So two very new things came to be at the same time. Working with David Bowie, I was with him for a month, every day, on a very small island in the South Pacific Ocean. For a month! [laughs]