Congratulations, Steven Spielberg!

Big John

I would like to take a moment to say congratulations to Steven Spielberg. Yesterday, he received his Bachelor of Arts degree from CSU Long Beach. He completed the program through Independent Study 34 years after he dropped out.

He said he completed his degree as a Thank You to his parents. I think what he's done is a wonderful statement on responsibility. Obviously, he doesn't need the degree. But the fact that he cared enough to do the work says volumes.

So congratulations, Mr. Spielberg. Your life inspires as much as your art.

Here's one of probably many links to the detailed news story:

http://www1.chinadaily.com.cn/news/lf/2002...6-01/72051.html

John

P.S. Stay in School :music:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked that as well. He's recieved five honorary doctorates, including one from Yale, but this still makes him very happy.

Yeah, it is a good thing. I saw footage of the ceremony and he looked quite pleased. Not only a thank you to his parents, but probably also something to use as an argument to make sure his kids go to college.

What movie do you think he used for his senior thesis?

Peace

b.

I've never understood this.

You go to school in an attempt to learn enough to make you successful in your career.

Being successful... well... being a world class success... and then going back and getting a piece of paper that says that you took a couple of college classes is just so silly.

Some poeple take college degree like they make you "more important", rather than what they should be... an attempt to improve your skills that improves chances of being a success in your career.

-Chris

So, how do you figure he was graded by his "Professors"?

You think his professors would say, "Hmmmm, this is not the way you make movies, Steven. Obviously you have a lot to learn?"

I've never understood this.

You go to school in an attempt to learn enough to make you successful in your career.

Being successful... well... being a world class success... and then going back and getting a piece of paper that says that you took a couple of college classes is just so silly.  

Some poeple take college degree like they make you "more important", rather than what they should be... an attempt to improve your skills that improves chances of being a success in your career.

-Chris

Doesn't the degree show that you've made an attempt to improve your skills therefore improving your chance of being a success in your career? That's what I thought, anyway.

~Harry

i'd have to say congratulations are in order from Maine.

This is a honourable notion and I'm very respectful of his decision.

Congrats to him.

I applaud him for finishing what he started.

Well, maybe the degree doesn't mean much now;

But I feel it's more important to keep learning and stay passionate about what you're doing in life. Learning keeps your brain young and alive.

Passion keep your heart beating. Having talent helps too.

Do you know this for a fact?

Yup, that's what it said in the Yahoo report anyway:

" Los Angeles Times says he did do two semesters' worth of off-campus work, cranking out a term paper for Natural Science 492 ("It was longer than most, well-written and no grammatical errors," professor Donald J. Riesh told the newspaper), and submitting Schindler's List to earn credit for Film/Electronic Arts 309, the advanced filmmaking class. "

Doesn't the degree show that you've made an attempt to improve your skills therefore improving your chance of being a success in your career? That's what I thought, anyway.

~Harry

Yes. But when you are on the top of the profession, why even bother to go back and get the little slip of paper? He's a master... better than probably most (if not all, unless some famous director of the past was one of his professors) of the teachers.

It doesn't make sense only if you see college's sole purpose as preparing you for a career... Personally, I'd probably do the same thing in his position.

He might have seen it as something he regreted not finishing, so it was something he had to do, not for anything else but for his own piece of mind.... Mind you, it's not like they are going to fail him now, are they?! :jump:

I also think it's a good statement to those many people who look up to him. He's an inspiration and role model to a lot of people, and let's face it: most of them probably will not be as successful as he is. I believe having the passion to do something correctly and follow through on academic pursuit thereof gives you a better chance than just winging it as a self-taught attemptee.

I think it's great that he finished college and got his degree.  

-Jason  8O   Persichetti Pageant

yes now maybe he can make something of himself.

I graduated from CSU Long Beach in 99....it was always well known that he went there, and there was a legend that i heard that he was belittled or insulted by his professors or the film department...the way i always heard the story was that they told him he "wouldn't amount to anything." And the grudge he bore kept him from ever donating anything to the school, or even associating with the school. Which explains why the film/media department has always been so poor. I wonder how all this publicity will change and improve the school, which is already one of the best in the CSU system. (i'm jealous that i graduated before all the excitement)

Believe it or not, Chrusher, there are a lot of very bright people out there who may have made names for themselves, that nonetheless bear a hidden insecurity for never having earned a degree. It's crazy, but Mark Twain and Groucho Marx, two of the wittiest men who ever lived, spent most of their lives trying to overcompensate for their lack of formal education. If the piece of paper doesn't mean so much, why do those without one often fall back on blue collar "college boy"-type insults when they are confronted with a graduate? My uncle, who was a farmer (picture Quint in "Jaws"), could often be heard to ask, derisively, "Is that what they taught you in college?" It always said more about him than about me.

Believe it or not, Chrusher, there are a lot of very bright people out there who may have made names for themselves, that nonetheless bear a hidden insecurity for never having earned a degree.  It's crazy, but Mark Twain and Groucho Marx, two of the wittiest men who ever lived, spent most of their lives trying to overcompensate for their lack of formal education.

I'd agree with that.

If the piece of paper doesn't mean so much, why do those without one often fall back on blue collar "college boy"-type insults when they are confronted with a graduate?  My uncle, who was a farmer (picture Quint in "Jaws"), could often be heard to ask, derisively, "Is that what they taught you in college?"  It always said more about him than about me.

I don't consider a college education (or NOT having one) a clue on whether one is intelligent or not, nor does it have a great bearing on whether one is successful or not.

If you ask me, professional types (such as Doctors) are probably the only ones that NEED a college education. I've found more knowledge and personal growth outside of a school.

And there are times that I'd agree with your farmer uncle. Some college grads are the most simple-minded people I've ever met, and worse yet is that they THINK that they are smarter than they really are because they have that degree.

-Chris, Who turned down an art scholarship because he'd had it with secular education systems once he graduated High School...