88th Annual Academy Awards Discussion (2016 Oscars for 2015 films)

Jay

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen The Big Short.  Is its script its strong selling point?

Yeah, the film really rides on the clever writing. It's a good screenplay.

3 minutes ago, Uni said:

Annnnnd . . . here we go with the political crap.

Well that was the issue the film was based on. So it makes sense. I don't mind that.

9 minutes ago, KK. said:

The Spotlight clip was laughably bland. But it was a good screenplay to win.

Who's the music director this year?

Harold Wheeler.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/02/19/harold-wheeler-named-oscar-music-director/

He's alright. His voice just doesn't suit a Bond song very well.

This category has some phenomenal performances. Vikander and Winslet being particular favourites.

See? Now that's how you do it. You would think a gaggle of actors would be able to pull off a prompted speech better than they almost always do. But when you see J.K. Simmons do it, you realize how cringeworthy the rest of that crowd is. He's just a great guy.

That Sam Smith Bond song is just awfully by by any criteria

I've only seen this Alicia girl in Ex Machina, but she was pretty good there.  Was her performance better than Winslet's in Jobs?  I thought WInslet was the favorite?

I love the Bond song music, but not the vocals.  Should have been someone else. 

This isn't bad so far.  But not enough shots of interesting people - that is, directors, composers, redheads....

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Jay you saw her in The Man From UNCLE! I really liked her there. 

Oh... haha.  Nothing in that made any lasting impression on me.  Totally bad summer blockbuster

There are presenters who try to be funny . . . and then there's Steve Carrell and Tina Fey, showing them how it's done. So simple, but laugh-out-loud hilarious.

I had a feeling Mad Max might take some of these categories. How are skirts from the 50s supposed to keep up with a look like that?

Everyone keeps saying Michael B Jordan should have been nominated, but while he was good enough, there was NO way he could have competed with the other heavyweights in that category! Just bs.

Geez... all these nominees for Best Cinematography look great!  I couldn't complain about any of them winning!

And Revenant wins so Mad Max is 3 for 4.

Probably the most deserved win of the ceremony!! The most stunning film of the year!

And that's 3 Oscars in a row for Lubezki! That must be some kind of record.

That tickertape thing at the bottom of the screen is a brilliant idea. Keeps them from having to thank half the planet up at the mike.

Film editing award... seeing a Star Wars film up there was kinda odd.  Haven't been the kind of films to gain Oscar nominations in so long!

And Mad Max wins for editing so its 4 for 5.  Crazy.

Seriously though, the 5.1 mix of this broadcast is driving me crazy!  Please tell me someone else is watching live in 5.1?

ALL the dialogue comes out of the rear speakers, which are right near our heads in the living room.  It's so wrong!