88th Annual Academy Awards Discussion (2016 Oscars for 2015 films)

Jay

Spotlight wins best picture.  Well, I thought it was a very fine film  for certain!  I haven't seen all the nominees or anything, but its my pick for best film of the year right now (other than Mad Max)

It's a very good film. Just surprised. Not sure it'd be my Best Picture choice too.

EDIT: nvm. It won original screenplay.

1 minute ago, KK. said:

Woaahhh.....I didn't expect that.

It literally got no other award, and I thought this was a surefire for Revenant.

No, it also won original screenplay

Haha, Michael Keaton eating girl scout cookies

Well I know what we're renting this week on demand...

I honestly thought the Revenant deserved best picture.  Movie was incredible.

And as much as the bear scene gets joked about...it truly was one of the most jaw dropping sequences I've seen.

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

In the words of the great film critic Scott Tobias, "Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu is a pretentious fraud."

Oh, did you not like that film?

Christ.

9 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Oh, did you not like that film?

Christ.

Think of the filmmaker whose movies you despise below all others, movies you honestly hate. Now imagine everyone showering them with adulation. It's maddening!

Just now, Koray Savas said:

So another Academy Awards ceremony passes at JWFan, and all I can think about is how full of shit everyone here is! Goodnight friends!

The truth is beautiful.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Think of the filmmaker whose movies you despise below all others, movies you honestly hate. Now imagine everyone showering them with adulation. It's maddening!

I honestly don't honestly hate any movie or filmmaker.  If a movie does nothing for me, I just don't care.  Doesn't madden me and I don't post in triplicate about how much I loathed it... but that's just me!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

The truth is beautiful.

Tell us all about this truth then.  Who here is full of shit?  I love when a new member wants to put someone in their place....

Maybe the closest I've gotten to that stage this year is with The Danish Girl. But I don't really loathe that either. And I think most people see through that for the bs it is.

Regardless of the fairness in these awards, they do bring tremendous attention and spotlight to the winners, making their work much more visible to the general public. For that reason, I'm happy Morricone won, regardless of me thinking TFA was the superior score and how Morricone had this in the bag from the day he was announced as the composer of Tarantino's next

I didn't insult you and I'm sorry if I offended you.  I'm very passionate about the culture I love and equally passionate when I think harmful culture is getting unjustly elevated. I can get carried away sometimes!

I remember a time in the distant past when this show was about movies. . . .

Not the worst one in years, not the best. But they're really all like that these days, aren't they? For an event that's designed to reward the best work in the film industry, the show itself has actually become a yearly exercise in mediocrity.

Oh, well. See y'all again next year.  :thumbup:

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I didn't insult you and I'm sorry if I offended you.  I'm very passionate about the culture I love and equally passionate when I think harmful culture is getting unjustly elevated. I can get carried away sometimes!

Is this directed at me?  Who said anything about insults or offense? 

Anyway, what the hell is "harmful culture" and how does it apply to The Revenant?  You'll have to forgive me for saying so, but after declaring Iñárritu to be a pretentious fraud, this seems a rather amusingly pretentious way to criticize his film....

4 minutes ago, Hlao-roo said:

So yet another dude with an obscure foreign name wins Best Original Score. What else is new?

I bet "Hlao-roo" would get a lot of attention for its exotic quality - have you ever considered scoring a major Hollywood film?  There'll have to be a scapegoat when Williams doesn't win for The BFG.

36 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I bet "Hlao-roo" would get a lot of attention for its exotic quality - have you ever considered scoring a major Hollywood film?  There'll have to be a scapegoat when Williams doesn't win for The BFG.

I blame the voters really.

Amy was a good film, but I was sad to see Joshua Oppenheimer lose another Oscar to another music documentary. The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence are two of the most captivating documentaries I've ever seen. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Someone who can translate Italian needs to re-translate exactly what he said about John Williams since his son (?) translating probably condensed things

Morricone's son translated almost exactly word-by-word. 

This is the text in Italian:

"Ringrazio l'Accademia per questo prestigioso riconoscimento. Il mio pensiero va agli altri nominati, in particolare allo stimato John Williams. Non c'è una musica importante senza un grande film che la ispiri. Ringrazio Quentin Tarantino per avermi scelto, Harvey Weinstein, e tutto il team che ha reso possibile questo straordinario film. Dedico questa musica e questa vittoria all'Oscar a mia moglie Maria. Grazie."

This is how I would translate it:

"I thank the Academy for this prestigious acknowledgement. My thoughts are with the other nominees, particularly with the esteemed John Williams. There is no important (film) music without a great movie that inspires it. I thank Quentin Tarantino for having chosen me, Harvey Weinstein, and the whole team which made this extraordinary movie possible. I dedicate this music and this victory at the Oscars to my wife Maria. Thank you."

Morricone's son translated the bit about John Williams as "My tribute goes to the other nominees, in particular to the esteemed John Williams", which means the same thing.

They should have given an Oscar to these Globe reporters, not to some lame movie timebeater made 15 years after the fact - it's strictly for rainy sunday afternoons. I would have rather given the award to REVENANT and that is saying something,. believe me.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Anyone surprised Sly Stallone didn't get an Oscar? I didn't see Creed.

He's very sweet and authentic in Creed. I guess it's not what one would call an undeniable performance, but there are no false moments. He would have been deserving, it's a little disappointing. I'm pretty surprised Rylance ended up with it, I thought he was great but it has to be one of the most understated performances to ever win an Oscar.

Funny how when DDL won for Lincoln there was some chatter over the fact that it took so long for a Spielberg performance to win an Oscar, and now right away here's another one. They're both similar in some ways.

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

He's very sweet and authentic in Creed. I guess it's not what one would call an undeniable performance, but there are no false moments. He would have been deserving, it's a little disappointing. I'm pretty surprised Rylance ended up with it, I thought he was great but it has to be one of the most understated performances to ever win an Oscar.

I figured Stallone might win it because he was returning to a much beloved character that many already have an affection for.

I had never heard of Rylance before Bridge Of Spies but he absolutely blew me away, by seemingly doing virtually nothing.

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I figured Stallone might win it because he was returning to a much beloved character that many already have an affection for.

I had never heard of Rylance before Bridge Of Spies but he absolutely blew me away, by seemingly doing virtually nothing.

He does the same in Wolf Hall!