88th Annual Academy Awards Discussion (2016 Oscars for 2015 films)

Jay

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno.  For 2007 films, I can't argue with There Will Be Blood winning for Best Cinematography over No Country For Old Men at all.  Man, what a year for film, just by those two masterpieces alone!

For 2012 films, of course Life of Pi beat Skyfall for cinematography!  Life of Pi was absolutely gorgeous to look at the entire time!

Jesse James is a cinematic masterpiece. Wipes the floor with There Will Be Blood.

Ennio Morricone mentioned John Williams as well in his interview for La Repubblica (and translated by a FSM member):

What do you think of the other nominees?

I didn’t hear a single note. I swear, I never make comparisons. Working in the field of movie music, if I listen to other composers’ music and I like it very much, that’s dangerous, but if I don’t like it I get very angry.So I avoid it. But, I have to say that John Williams is great, as I knew already. He was sitting next to me and we hugged each other. He has a whole collection of Oscars, he’s really very good. 

Karol

Maurizio already translated that 6 hours ago for us here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26150-who-will-win-the-best-original-score-award-tonight/&do=findComment&comment=1228326

You even replied in the thread!

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Jesse James is a cinematic masterpiece. Wipes the floor with There Will Be Blood.

I don't know that I would say it wipes the floor with it, but yeah, people should group it with Blood and No Country more than they do, it's on that level. Meticulous, authentic period detail, thematically I would say it's one of the best ever about idol worship and the nature of celebrity. Pitt was inspired casting for that one, love his performance, and Casey Affleck and Sam Rockwell are even better. All the gang members are great, really, and yes it's some of Deakins' best and most observant camerawork. I've seen it 2 or 3 times, I think, I'm 100% sure I'll watch it again. Definitely a movie you can keep finding new things in.

Agreed 100%. Though I'm no so sure how "inspired" Pitt's casting was considering he produced the film. Regardless his performance is fantastic.

The score is one of my absolute favorites. 

Well yeah, I just mean the idea of Pitt in that role and how his persona adds to it, rather than distracting. It takes that nagging issue of watching a famous person playing 19th century dress-up and plays into it really well because of how the film looks at fame and celeb culture. He's never winking at the camera, but it just oddly helps the film that in the back of your mind you know it's Brad Pitt.

I haven't seen Jesse James and Captain Hook was a little too distracting in There Will Be Blood for my tastes. I didn't much enjoy the film a couple of years ago. Maybe I should watch Jesse James. 

Then again, I caught the opening of There Will Be Blood again on tv the other night, and if it hadn't been so late in the evening I'd probably have stuck it out. I seemed to have a different appreciation for its uncompromising style. 

Captain Hook in There Will Be Blood?  What?  What makes you correlate Daniel Day-Lewis with Captain Hook?

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Captain Hook in There Will Be Blood?  What?  What makes you correlate Daniel Day-Lewis with Captain Hook?

He's a bit of a pantomime character isn't he. An academy award winning one. 

8 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's more important to distance oneself from KK.  He saw that Fifty Shades of Grey movie....

What a fucking disgrace. 

DAMN YOU STEEF. THAT WAS AN IMPOSTER!

4 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's more important to distance oneself from KK.  He saw that Fifty Shades of Grey movie....

First Mikko, then you! Oh how they all stab you in the back!

Is there no one left here left on JWFAN to trust?!

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Agreed 100%. Though I'm no so sure how "inspired" Pitt's casting was considering he produced the film. Regardless his performance is fantastic.

Will have to check it out.

On 2/29/2016 at 2:58 PM, Jay said:

I knew someone would get left out of the In Memorium; turns out it was Abe Vigoda

Oh, that sucks. Big time. They've got a whole year to put that thing together (and keep a running list); how do you screw up something like that?

Guess they're really looking to cut time down by leaving out deserving nominees, tributes to passed friends, all that. Of course, if they'd eliminated Rock's ridiculous Girl Scout cookie antics, they could've put all that back in and had time to spare.

One of Inky's posts was repeated in another thread. I was wondering if there was a glitch.

13 minutes ago, Woj said:

There is no glitch here.  

Interesting. Guess we're all just being redundantly redundant today.

13 minutes ago, Woj said:

But I would like to buy your iTunes gift cards. 

Wouldn't you rather trade for them. . . ?