88th Annual Academy Awards Discussion (2016 Oscars for 2015 films)

Jay

Every one talks about snub this and snub that, but the King of Snubs, the Supreme Leader of the this-is-why-the-academy-are-pointless brigade is Roger Deakins and his 13 nominations without a win.

Tina Fey's Clooney joke at the Globes is one of my favourite jokes that says "look how ridiculous these awards ceremonies are." Along with Billy Crystal at the Oscars when he said "So tonight, enjoy yourselves because nothing can take the sting out of the world's economic problems like watching millionaires present each other with golden statues.”

30bb87f3ba3cc32c39898b750dac18ff.jpg

19 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I think The Writing's on the Wall is a very good song. It's just that the musical production is underwhelming and the vocal is horrible. 

So for a song that is not half bad.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I agree with Lee. The descision to sing it "castrato" largely ruins it. But it's pretty good apart from that. 

When even the singer agrees with that it might have kernel of truth to it.

2 minutes ago, hornist said:

It shouldn't have won. The performance is big part of the song.

Star Wars wouldn't have won if it were performed by Prague Philharmonic drunk!!!!

I really don't care for the best song Oscar unless JW has something at stake on that arena. A yodeling sore throated buffoon singing Chopsticks could win for best song for all I care.

4 hours ago, Score said:

Morricone's son translated almost exactly word-by-word. 

This is the text in Italian:

"Ringrazio l'Accademia per questo prestigioso riconoscimento. Il mio pensiero va agli altri nominati, in particolare allo stimato John Williams. Non c'è una musica importante senza un grande film che la ispiri. Ringrazio Quentin Tarantino per avermi scelto, Harvey Weinstein, e tutto il team che ha reso possibile questo straordinario film. Dedico questa musica e questa vittoria all'Oscar a mia moglie Maria. Grazie."

This is how I would translate it:

"I thank the Academy for this prestigious acknowledgement. My thoughts are with the other nominees, particularly with the esteemed John Williams. There is no important (film) music without a great movie that inspires it. I thank Quentin Tarantino for having chosen me, Harvey Weinstein, and the whole team which made this extraordinary movie possible. I dedicate this music and this victory at the Oscars to my wife Maria. Thank you."

Morricone's son translated the bit about John Williams as "My tribute goes to the other nominees, in particular to the esteemed John Williams", which means the same thing.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Every one talks about snub this and snub that, but the King of Snubs, the Supreme Leader of the this-is-why-the-academy-are-pointless brigade is Roger Deakins and his 13 nominations without a win.

I love Deakins to death, but Lubezki deserved it this year. Deakins should have won in 2007 and 2012.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

I love Deakins to death, but Lubezki deserved it this year. Deakins should have won in 2007 and 2012.

I dunno.  For 2007 films, I can't argue with There Will Be Blood winning for Best Cinematography over No Country For Old Men at all.  Man, what a year for film, just by those two masterpieces alone!

For 2012 films, of course Life of Pi beat Skyfall for cinematography!  Life of Pi was absolutely gorgeous to look at the entire time!

I was without pc for 2 days and now I saw the winners.

Wow, a best picture winner without ANY other winning in any other category?

that is rare...

edit: Never mind. I just noticed it got screenplay too..

I was in the Hollywood Hills once and saw several large estates belonging to...you guessed it...Leo DiCaprio. Now he can gift them to our many refugees here. They would appreciate...

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I figured Stallone might win it because he was returning to a much beloved character that many already have an affection for.

I had never heard of Rylance before Bridge Of Spies but he absolutely blew me away, by seemingly doing virtually nothing.

I bet Nolan wasn't surprised!  Yet again he has his finger on the pulse of Hollywood.  Can't wait to see Rylance in Dunkirk

12 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I bet Nolan wasn't surprised!  Yet again he has his finger on the pulse of Hollywood.  Can't wait to see Rylance in Dunkirk

Dunkirk? Good God.

-ah Google. Nolan plus a war epic equals...well, Hans Zimmer I suppose.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno.  For 2007 films, I can't argue with There Will Be Blood winning for Best Cinematography over No Country For Old Men at all.  Man, what a year for film, just by those two masterpieces alone!

For 2012 films, of course Life of Pi beat Skyfall for cinematography!  Life of Pi was absolutely gorgeous to look at the entire time!

Yeah, thing about Deakins is that when you actually look at it the work he's lost to has generally been deserving. 

Legends of the Fall (Shawshank Redemption)

English Patient (Fargo)

Titanic (Kundun)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (O Brother Where Art Thou?)

Fellowship of the Ring (Man Who Wasn't There)

There Will Be Blood (No Country/Jesse James)

Slumdog Millionaire (The Reader)

Inception (True Grit)

Life of Pi (Skyfall)

Gravity (Prisoners)

Birdman (Unbroken)

The Revenant (Sicario)

True Grit losing to Inception was probably the biggest steal out of these for me, but it's not like it's a horrible group of alternatives against what he had up those years. Same sort of goes for Tom Newman, you look at the career highlights and he's lost to Zimmer's Lion King, Corigliano's Red Violin, Goldenthal's Frida, but then you do also have Babel over Good German which is a truly embarrassing outcome.

10 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

But then you do also have Babel over Good German which is a truly embarrassing outcome.

Babel winning over anything was an embarrassing outcome.