88th Annual Academy Awards Discussion (2016 Oscars for 2015 films)

Jay

5 hours ago, KK. said:

The whole "racism" thing was started by a group of very noisy celebrities, who were later dismissed by some more level-headed ones. Too bad by that time social media was already too taken with the headline.

And I've seen about all the major nominees except Straight Outta Compton I guess.

The racism thing is brought up every year when only white people are nominated. Then they are all quiet during the years where there is diversity. 

I just can't stand the political pontification and this year will be bad I'm sure.  It seriously makes me uncomfortable, far more than anything else that goes on at these things.  I'm about as apolitical a person as you'll find anywhere.  I don't want it involved with this stuff.  I leave the "activist artist" way of thinking bullshit to others. 

11 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I just can't stand the political pontification and this year will be bad I'm sure.  It seriously makes me uncomfortable, far more than anything else that goes on at these things.  I'm about as apolitical a person as you'll find anywhere.  I don't want it involved with this stuff.  I leave the "activist artist" way of thinking bullshit to others. 

Yeah, it's just a hugely popular event so they use the platform to voice their stuff, which I don't mind at all outside of the ceremony. But with 60 seconds just say thank you and move on. $50 says Leo talks about climate change.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

People who deserve to be nominated based on the merits of their year's cinematic work are the only ones who should be nominated.  

This never happens. I remember when Song of the Sea only received a nomination and no win and it was one of the best films of that year. Bullshit everywhere.

And there's always a ton of a variety of bias preventing things from being made, from being noticed, from being nominated and from winning. In the case of the Oscars, it's usually extremely easy to even compile a list of what they like to promote, and the characteristics of the Oscar's specific bias.

I really want to see Williams win an oscar live.  Unfortunately I didn't give a shit about film music back in 1993...was also only 9 years old.

I thought I'd see it in 2012 with War Horse and was extremely disappointed with him losing that one.

I really think he deserves to win with TFA.  I want to see this happen tonight!

Well I'll be off to bed pretty much exactly when the ceremony starts. There's not much fun just reading about the ceremony, so I'll find out all about it at 9am, and quietly sigh when I read Morricone among the winners' names. (as much as I'd love to see JW win, with a critical darling like Morricone waltzing in, it isn't going to happen)

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Well I'll be off to bed pretty much exactly when the ceremony starts. There's not much fun just reading about the ceremony, so I'll find out all about it at 9am, and quietly sigh when I read Morricone among the winners' names. (as much as I'd love to see JW win, with a critical darling like Morricone waltzing in, it isn't going to happen)

This!

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Ditto. I don't see why these people think their voices matter more than anyone else's (guess it's the egos). We're here to honor and celebrate your achievements in film, not your opinions, so give it a rest already.

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

And that's probably more down to Netflix prejudice than a race thing...

In-fucking-deed!

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The Big Short for Best Picture? Ugh...

Very good film!

So is this where we're doing the live commentary?

24 minutes ago, Uni said:

Ditto. I don't see why these people think their voices matter more than anyone else's (guess it's the egos). We're here to honor and celebrate your achievements in film, not your opinions, so give it a rest already.

Sorry but I completely disagree. Who better than a famous face that the sheep population look towards to, to use that exposure to bring attention to worldwide issues. I just don't like it being shoehorned into an acceptance speech. Some do it well, most don't. 

Apparently so. Looks like it's about to get rolling, too. (I never watch the red carpet crap.)

The only prediction I'm making at this point is that they'll use Horner's music for the In Memoriam segment.

Pretty good opening montage. This has always been one of my favorite elements of the Oscars.

He shaved. Huh.

Great opening line. I think it's good they're getting this out of the way right off the bat.

This is good. By hitting it hard, and up front, he's letting everyone laugh it off. Made a great point about the whole Actor/Actress thing.

It's not too bad. I'm waiting to see where its going. Clearly this was always going to be the centre of the monologue.

Anybody else watching in 5.1?

A ton of audio is coming out of the rear channels (like the dialogue when people talk in the clips) - it's very distracting!

Wow . . . interesting how they're playing it by order this year. Nice change of pace.

Jeez--could they have chosen more drab and nondescript examples from what are supposed to be the best screenplays of the year?

5 minutes ago, KK. said:

I like that he's targeting the industry as a whole and less the Oscars themselves.

But it did drag.

Got awkward for him, too. This has to be the toughest hosting job on earth. Even the best performers freeze up a bit every year.

The Spotlight clip was laughably bland. But it was a good screenplay to win.

Who's the music director this year?

The Big Short is probably the nominated movie I most regret missing to this point.

Annnnnd . . . here we go with the political crap.