John Williams Receives 50th Oscar Nomination for 'The Force Awakens'

Ricard

Well, I don't give a _____ for ______ 

• The Hateful Eight - Ennio Morricone *** 
  • Sicario - Johann Johannsson * (it is beyond me why this was nominated.... why not  COD music????.... it was better...... )
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams *****
  • Carol - Carter Burwell **
  • Bridge of Spies - Thomas Newman *** 

I listened to all this month.... and all I can say Williams' is the most developed and masterful of them all.... not just this year.... but a long time.... 

I know the 4-danger motif Morricone thing will win, but who cares about the Industry awards anyway. To me, winning would be like an embarrassment... because it is bought prise... Piss on! 

Williams will win, I have faith he will. I'm going to ttry converting to every religion to try and see which one works. Whichever one I'm in when Williams wins, I'll let you all know. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Big said:

If Williams were to win, there would be an enormous outcry from the Trent Reznor-is-the-greatest-film-composer-of-all-time crowd of r/movies.

I dunno.  I have generally gotten good reception there when praising TFA. I mean, plenty of people argue with me, but my comments are upvoted.  Now, criticizing Hans Zimmer and co...  I took a beating for, as politely as I could, calling the new BvS music shit.

14 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Now, criticizing Hans Zimmer and co...  I took a beating for, as politely as I could, calling the new BvS music shit.

Yep, the Zimmer downvote brigade of Reddit is unforgiving.  

I think that early TFA criticism is dying out as people are rallying around Rey's Theme, March of the Resistance, and Jedi Steps. But I still think he'd get some backlash if he won an Oscar for it and the haters would have an excuse to start calling it "OOOOOVVVVVEEEEERRRRAAATTTTTEEEEDDD" on top of a disappointment. Morricone has always been more of an underdog so I'd rather he get his first competing Oscar for his wonderfully odd score and everybody can just be happy. Don't need Quentin Tarantino pitching a big ol fit either if Morricone were to lose so Williams could pick up his 6th for another Star Wars.....

Meh, I mean of course it'd be lovely to see him up there and all but the Internet can spoil nice things. We know TFA's score bears scrutiny, it can withstand being a little underappreciated ;) I'm just excited for the summer with everybody generally loving on Johnny around the AFI lifetime tribute thing and writing retrospective articles and Twitter posting their favorite scores and shit like that. I want good vibes, not another reason to whine about Force Awakens and that he already has too many awards or whatever. 

9 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Don't need Quentin Tarantino pitching a big ol fit either if Morricone were to lose so Williams could pick up his 6th for another Star Wars.....

After the "ghetto" comment he made about film composers, I no longer take his opinion into account.

I think in general amongst cinephiles, many of whom I know, there is a general disdain for these kind of big scores. The favorite of the hippies is either Hateful Eight or Carol. Hateful Eight because they think Morricone is a legend (many would think he's bigger legend than Williams which to me just doesn't hold water). There is an almost this comically entrenched feeling that less is better or new is better. You notice that in film-making preference too. Many of these same people scoff at the old school classicism in the film making of Eastwood or Spielberg.

Anyhow, I must say the Carol score is extremely effective in film. The film has less dialog than usual and both the opening and finale and entirely worldless and the music takes centre stage and does a good job. I'd watch out for that as a spoiler if Williams and Morricone cancel each other out.

But yeah, Morricone has it, these awards are very momentum based. Morricone already won the Golden Globe and BFCA. He'll next win Bafta and it will just become one of those things.

On January 15, 2016 at 3:24 PM, nightscape94 said:

And in a recent weird example, Argo won best picture without even being nominated for director.  That makes no sense.

Hitchcock's 1941 film Rebecca won Best Picture without winning for director, editing, writing or acting.

I also found it odd that Biutiful was good enough to garner Javier Bardem a best actor nomination, but not enough to actually win best foreign language film. 

On 15/1/2016 at 11:10 AM, TownerFan said:

It's strong pretty much everywhere, especially in US as well. Every film website and their mother is cheering for Morricone. The score has been dutifully celebrated by film critics and movie audiences. After the Golden Globe it's likely gonna win the BAFTA and other secondary awards as well (Broadcast Film Critics, etc.) and the buzz for the Oscar is gonna get stronger from here to Oscar Night.

Heh

i wouldn't complain if he suffered the Memoirs of a Geisha situation there and Williams won the oscar out of nowhere :P:devil:

11 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I dunno.  I have generally gotten good reception there when praising TFA. I mean, plenty of people argue with me, but my comments are upvoted.  Now, criticizing Hans Zimmer and co...  I took a beating for, as politely as I could, calling the new BvS music shit.

the Truth always garners criticism.

• 3 weeks later...

A nice little Hollywood Reporter article with Carter Burwell, Johann Johannsson, and Thomas Newman praising Williams and Morricone

"When I was beginning, the bane of my existence was that people were going to put John Williams' [music] in [as] temp scores and want me to do something like that," says Carter Burwell, 61, a first-time nominee for his delicate work on Carol. "The breadth of his compositional palette and his orchestration is just way beyond me and I'm always amazed by it."

"I'm a huge fan of them both and both had an influence on the Sicario score," says two-time nominee Johannsson — citing in particular Williams' use of the low end of the orchestra, especially the strings, on Jaws.

For 13-time nominee Newman, Williams — whom he replaced on Steven Spielberg's Bridge of Spies when the maestro fell ill — practically is family. Newman's father, Alfred, ran Fox's music department for two decades and gave a young Williams some of his first gigs. In turn, Williams provided Newman with one of his first breaks: orchestrating a cue in 1983's Return of the Jedi. "There was no saying I could ever step in and do what John does," Newman says of taking over for his mentor. "Because it'd be really hard to be John Williams."

9 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Williams wrote the better score by far but Morricone was far more overdue an Oscar.  

What kind of mentality is that? If he wrote better score he should have won no matter what... And he surely did.

So Morricone won because he's the token old guy who hadn't ever won before, so people figure he needs to before he dies? That's not cheap at all. 

I can't wait for the next black person to win a pity Oscar, too. 

2 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Perhaps silly for me to say without having heard any of the score, but I feel Williams has a serious shot for an Oscar with The BFG. 

Because... What? Jewish director? It is silly to write without hearing the score indeed...

The BFG will likely not make a big enough critical splash to warrant serious consideration for an Oscar win. So the eager JW fanboys need to take a deep breath and wait till a more intriguing project comes his way.

5 minutes ago, KK. said:

The BFG will likely not make a big enough critical splash to warrant serious consideration for an Oscar win. So the eager JW fanboys need to take a deep breath and wait till a more intriguing project comes his way.

Why don't you dance on our heads while you're at it KK.

3 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

Williams wrote the better score

Nope.

2 hours ago, That_Bloke said:

I've heard the scores to both Hateful 8 and SW TFA. Williams had the better score.

Nope.

2 hours ago, That_Bloke said:

This was a sympathy vote.

Nope.