Tom

Is it OK for a piece of film music to be growery? Or is it incumbent upon the composer to strive for a more immediate impact, especially if he's writing for mainstream fare?

7 minutes ago, Hlao-roo said:

Is it OK for a piece of film music to be growery? Or is it incumbent upon the composer to strive for a more immediate impact, especially if he's writing for mainstream fare?

I suppose that depends on what the overall intentions of the director and composer and other filmmakers are rather than having an absolute yes or no answer.  Which is fine, since  music that makes an immediate impact and music that takes great time to understand are both desirable and enriching things.  Like in any art form, there's room for stuff that provides both of those experiences.

5 hours ago, Hlao-roo said:

What is it that makes this score so growery? And are there any JW scores that people find shrinkery?

I would certainly say there are some Williams scores that are more ungrowery, if not outright shrinkery.

5 hours ago, Hlao-roo said:

To be honest I'm finding some of the prequel tracks quite dull now, specifically the big action set-piece moments. It doesn't have that dynamic and shifting turn that I've come to love in TFA and all falls rather flat for me now.

2 hours ago, Hlao-roo said:

This relates to a thought I had after my second viewing, which was whether or not Rey's Theme is distinctive enough as a hook, especially the first 6 notes standalone. For one thing, you only really get three big, loud statements of the full theme in the film (and one of them -- The Abduction -- is nearly buried under loads of explosions), plus some quieter statements, but otherwise a lot of its recognition rides on those first 6 notes. How much do they say by themselves, especially in "Ways of the Force"? When he starts spinning variations, of course WE know what we're listening for, but how many viewers will realize that this is Rey's theme for example?

It's a little unusual for this series. Normally, a Star Wars theme is pretty much always the same whenever it appears. There's nothing to figure out, it's instantly identifiable. But Rey's theme is treated with more flexibility than I can remember with the other core material in this franchise. That's appealing to me as an active listener, but I feel like this score required more investigation on my part than usual for Star Wars. What does that say? Is it clever or just confusing?

These subtle variations that are harder to pick up on...is it a good thing that we have to really strain to hear Han/Leia's theme in Torn Apart, or as a piece of film music should we have known it was there the instant Leia reacted? Or is it even important that we hear it?

7 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

These subtle variations that are harder to pick up on...is it a good thing that we have to really strain to hear Han/Leia's theme in Torn Apart, or as a piece of film music should we have known it was there the instant Leia reacted? Or is it even important that we hear it?

Examples like that are usually designed to work on a sub-conscious level. Through analysis we can appreciate this but its meant to subtly inform the emotion of the moment as its being watched.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

It's a little unusual for this series. Normally, a Star Wars theme is pretty much always the same whenever it appears. There's nothing to figure out, it's instantly identifiable. But Rey's theme is treated with more flexibility than I can remember with the other core material in this franchise. That's appealing to me as an active listener, but I feel like this score required more investigation on my part than usual for Star Wars. What does that say? Is it clever or just confusing?

The nature of Rey's theme, how there's a rhythmic identifier as well as a proper multi-sectioned theme which is adaptable to extreme differences in mood and settings, is my favorite part of the entire score.  That theme is what makes the score sound fresh and alive.

I agree Rey's theme is the strongest part of the score, and possibly the only robust and lasting element of it. The action music is well-written and works in film, but continues to fail to hold me when listened alone. The old themes punctuating Falcon and Scherzo are too incongruous with Williams' modern style and even he can't blend them. They are satisfying signposts, but too spare to really 'make' each track.

I think there is a certain awkwardness to the rebel fanfare statements in those tracks, but I took it as intentional.  That is, it sounds a little off-key almost, though I wouldn't know how to describe it with no musical training, and I interpreted that as Williams inserting a little comedy about how the characters see the Falcon as a piece of junk.  I thought it was a great touch.

20 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

It's a stronger score than AOTC, but that's about it. It's thematically more cohesive than Sith, but it never quite reaches the epicness of that score.

So, epic is better?

Star Wars was considered epic at the time but Williams gave us a different epic (and apparently now modern epic) with TPM.  I'm glad Williams given us a new, different yet familiar Star Wars sound for TFA without relying on loud and in your face music.

3 hours ago, Alexander said:

The Rebel Fanfare (consisting of parallel major triads mostly a minor third apart) is essentially derived from the "Cowboy Half-Cadence" (bVII - V - I), formally known as the Subtonic Half-Cadence (S-HC), in Luke's theme,

Yeah, you bring up one of my favourite points about Luke's theme, it seems the OT has never been deconstructed here the way TFA has with regards to connections between themes and motifs and how they may be derived from each other, etc.

Maybe it hardly registers consciously but by sharing such identifiable and intervallic characteristics, having the A section of the Rebel Fanfare derived from the cadence you mentioned in Luke's theme is so key in helping to glue those two ideas together .....even though at the beginning of the movie Luke's heroic dreams feel so out of reach for him..

He fantasizes about them but more than likely believes that there is no hope of ever leaving the farm. Destiny has other plans.

The melody which plays over that cadence is one of variations of the fate/destiny motif (dies irae), like the almost apocalyptic rendition during Burning Homestead, so most of Luke's journey is written into his musical DNA, by superimposing the fate motif over the rebel fanfare we have part of Luke's theme, it's incredible and it's almost impossible for those ideas not to have a feeling of inevitability while working together throughout the whole score's musical journey ....and Luke's!

There are Force Theme connections too but that's another story.

569af0528389a_SWex1.jpg.286ab64579ac61dd

https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/99f7741cb59c958bd826037aee8a1b78a32e182d

On 14/1/2016 at 7:55 PM, nightscape94 said:

Opposite from most people's reaction, I loved it immediately.  The tempo is fine, doesn't need to be, and doesn't sound better at, a faster tempo.  Love that he uses the main/Luke theme as an action set piece, which he had never done in this way before.

Here is a version with a faster tempo ;)

31 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

No, I know it was posted before, but I reposted it because it seemed pro-arte, Nemesis, nightscape and co didn't see that one.

I knew about it already, I was thanking him for a sped up version of the orchestral version for better comparison.  Don't lump me in with those poor Cremeritis sufferers!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2016 at 4:30 AM, DominicCobb said:

It'd be interesting to hear this track with only the Luke's theme bits sped up.

Ok, here's one. :)

I agree—the problem isn't that the overall tempo is slow, just that it drags over the course of the track, and it's been bothering me enough over the past month that I decided to finally try an edit. I left the tempo as is at the beginning and just kept bumping it up during the track to try to keep it steady. By the end, the file about 4% faster, and the tempo is still a bit slower than the opening. But I'm happy enough with it that I'm moving it back into my TFA playlist. :)