Jay

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest dates:

Show Dates

SEPTEMBER 2018

DECEMBER 2018

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Interesting that the Czech National Symphony is touring Jurassic Park around Britain.

They’re oddly doing Indiana Jones right in the middle of their tour too in Birmingham

• 1 month later...

Haven't seen this in concert yet, purely because the film is relatively sparsely spotted for a Spielberg action film; only about 1h:15m of music.

I'm sure the MSO did a fantastic job though, but I'm holding out for more Potter!

25 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Yeah that was a nice touch. 

Where about were you sat? I was interested as to whether anyone else was there who is on the JW Forum

5 hours ago, tmarps said:

Where about were you sat? I was interested as to whether anyone else was there who is on the JW Forum

I was in the middle of the circle area at the top. I always sit roughly in that area for most concerts in most places.

They played part of 'Visitor in San Diego' at the intermission of the Jurassic Park concert, when the great percussion and frantic violins come in around 1:50. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:04 AM, Omen II said:

• One of the best audience reactions greeted the Jeff Goldblum shirtless recline scene.  In fairness the internet has made it chortle worthy

I've been to the Jurassic Park L2P concerts in Indianapolis, IN and San Francisco, CA and all the audiences from both programs were laughing hysterically at that shot.  I'm not seeing what's so funny.  I can understand certain shots and lines may not be funny at the time of release, but are now.  Example: the boy looking at the gadgets in the car and says that it has a CD-ROM:  That got a laugh by the audience--and I can see why.

• 3 months later...

Something I noticed in the end credits from the Jurassic Park-L2P concerts.  When Williams replaced his film version of the end credits with his public concert version, it was shorter the film version.  

In this YouTube except of the RAH performance of a JP-L2P concert, this concert version of the end credits ends at the 8:04 mark, but notice the credit-roll continuing.

In later concerts, the film's end credits was altered--it had to be sped-up to match the duration of the replacement music cue.  Here, at the 5:24 mark of this except from a later JP-L2P concert, the music ends right at the end of the “Amblin” logo clip.

• 4 weeks later...

overall the music in E.T. is better..Adventures on Eatrh

The action  music in JP is a bit lacking

Next I'm going to Star Wars ANH

That video highlights two things for me:

- The Journey to the Island tracking works so much better than the original bit. I've never liked JW's original intention.

- Why oh why did SS have to cut out that section of the credits over the bird shot? Couldn't he just have extended a couple of shots in that section by a few seconds?

I think Lucas did most of the post, as by then Spielberg was in Poland shooting Schindler, approving shots sent on sattelites and listening to the scoring sessions on tape.

The Journey tracking is horrible!

One thing this concert does is really do justice to the moment when the brachiosausus are first seen on Journey to the Island

No volume dips in the music like the film mix to accommodate the useless reactions of the cast. That was the single best part of the concert to finally hear Theme from Jurassic Park in full glory

On 4/3/2019 at 7:26 PM, King Mark said:

One thing this concert does is really do justice to the moment when the brachiosausus are first seen on Journey to the Island

No volume dips in the music like the film mix to accommodate the useless reactions of the cast. That was the single best part of the concert to finally hear Theme from Jurassic Park in full glory

You cant hear the stunning DTS bass thud when the brachiosaurus front paws hit the ground?

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:50 PM, ricsim88 said:

Apparently those guys wanted $60k for us to do Home alone...and that was before paying the orchestra and other production costs...not cheap

Hi, @ricsim88,

Were you able to investigate what each item costs in this package that adds up to $60K?  Why they charge so much?

10 hours ago, SyncMan said:

Hi, @ricsim88,

Were you able to investigate what each item costs in this package that adds up to $60K?  Why they charge so much?

I'm not sure. But it must be a combination of rights, equipment, technicians, etc...big productions. We're playing HP1 in November with my orchestra, I'm curious to experience this type of project from "under" the screen.

• 2 months later...

I really hope this comes to New England eventually so I can see it.

AUGUST 2019

SEPTEMBER 2019

OCTOBER 2019

APRIL 2020

MAY 2020

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a blurb I posted this morning, at Film Score Monthly, about the Hollywood Bowl concert of Jurassic Park. Wrote this before discovering this thread; now edited my copy/paste, to focus on my main query:

I had the pleasure of experiencing "Jurassic Park" with, I estimate, maybe 15,000 people at The Hollywood Bowl where the phenomenal crusader of film music David Newman conducted the LA Philharmonic playing John Williams' score live to picture Friday evening. It was terrific fun.

I know, more recently, there have been many older live-to-picture shows – "The Wizard of Oz" (1939), "Casablanca" (1942), "Vertigo" (1958), "Psycho" (1960), "West Side Story" (1961), "Silent Running" (1973), "Jaws" (1975), "Close Encounters" (1977) and soon we will getting "Superman: The Movie" (1978).... So, how do they do that?

Wikipedia says projection material is prepared with 'music suppressed,' but that sounds like hand-waving to me. In my experience, movies are not made that way. No one had any reason to make a music-free mix of their film, back in the day. What would be the point? And surely all the audio stems would have been long lost, resulting in most cases in mono magnetic or optical audio tracks, which would surely be impossible to pull apart.

Bravo to all involved in producing these events, all over the world: https://filmconcertslive.com

And what a phenomenal job David Newman does. He is a marvel.

TL;DR edit:

How do older films create music-free audio as playback for live orchestral performance?

48567129447_e6ef4c5dde_k.jpg

Thanks, Jay. I edited my post above to focus more clearly on my question. I was mainly curious how live-to-picture concerts prepped older movies for playback.

Since posting here, a friend with technical insight illuminated me (see FSM link above); and it is not so easy. There is a lot of artful sound level control, and audio filtration voodoo where separations did not exist. It's way over my head, but there is considerable skill involved, not to mention legal theatrical rights clearances.

I was honored to catch "Jurassic Park" in this presentation, and it was invigorating to experience this terrific movie, and wonderful score, performed with great verve for such a huge and appreciative crowd.

On 4/1/2019 at 4:30 AM, Richard Penna said:

That video highlights two things for me:

- The Journey to the Island tracking works so much better than the original bit. I've never liked JW's original intention.

- Why oh why did SS have to cut out that section of the credits over the bird shot? Couldn't he just have extended a couple of shots in that section by a few seconds?

I completely agree. The tracking there is perfect. Same goes for Petticoat Lane when they get to the chopper. If that was originally not intended to have music, it was a bad call but rectified in post.

The edit during the finale is odd but I chalk it up to JP being one of the last unpolished overproduced films that Spielberg has made. It has lots of shaky cameras, unintended anomalies, gaffes and the like. More like a classic Spielberg film before everything became overly staged and calculated to the point of feeling soulless. He must have looked at that helicopter scene and thought, well fuck it, we gotta wrap this up quicker and oh well about the sun revealing a big scratch in the camera lens. It's good enough!

Wow that was a very thorough and interesting post from Mike!  What a nice thing to read first thing in the morning!

Brilliant insight from Mike, as always. This caught my attention:

3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

but there is actually synth all through the score, including throughout the cue when the brachiosaurus is first revealed.

Williams really is the master at blending all these elements into a cohesive whole. I can't hear any synth elements in that cue at all.

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2016 at 1:45 PM, Omen II said:

I was a lucky sod this afternoon.

I had the tremendous good fortune to be able to catch a little of the rehearsal for the world premiere of Jurassic Park at the Royal Albert Hall.  I saw the orchestra rehearsing the scene with the car in the tree and the subsequent T-Rex / jeep chase, as well as the Remembering Petticoat Lane scene with Dickie Attenborough and Laura Dern from later in the movie.  The orchestra sounded fantastic, so I am sure this will be brilliant (I am going to tomorrow evening's performance).  The red carpet was being laid out, so there will no doubt be some special guests of some description attending the premiere this evening.

Although I was not allowed to take any photos while the orchestra was actually playing, during a break I was able to take this photo showing the set-up of the orchestra.  As you can see there is a huge percussion section and a synthesiser which was practising some of the shakuhachi bits.  You can see the synthesiser player just behind the pianist; he is obviously doubling on celeste.

:worship:   :john:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq152/novemcinctus/DSC02050_zpskov5c6oy.jpg

@Omen II, that rehearsal you attended for JP, did the orchestra play along with the film's dialogue and sound effects track?

Also, how did you get into that rehearsal?

3 hours ago, SyncMan said:

@Omen II, that rehearsal you attended for JP, did the orchestra play along with the film's dialogue and sound effects track?

Also, how did you get into that rehearsal?

Yes, the dialogue and sound effect track was audible during the rehearsal.  To get in, I made an educated guess as to what time the orchestra would be rehearsing, booked a cheap tour of the Royal Albert Hall to coincide and got lucky.  Simples.

55 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Yes, the dialogue and sound effect track was audible during the rehearsal.  To get in, I made an educated guess as to what time the orchestra would be rehearsing, booked a cheap tour of the Royal Albert Hall to coincide and got lucky.  Simples.

And no one stopped you for getting into the hall? A very covert approach.  I like it.

image.gif

image.gif

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 13/01/2022 at 1:02 PM, Jay said:

Coming to The Kennedy Center, Washington DC, Fri. Jun. 24, 2022 8p.m.

https://www.kennedy-center.org/nso/home/2021-2022/jurassic-park-in-concert/

According to this Facebook post, JW will be there for a Q&A prior to this show.

JW Temp.png

Also, from the said Kennedy Center-Jurassic Park web-page:

JW Temp.png