JURASSIC PARK - Live to Projection Concerts

Jay

11 hours ago, king mark said:

In the film the music is interrupted by the various expressions of amazement of the actors..oooh,ahh, I can't believe it (with volume dips in the music)... They should have played the music only and just make the actor stare and not say anything

this stands to this day as my most ruined JW moment

I think the cue is one of the very few instances where Williams didn't write the cue "around" the dialogue, but let the music score the feeling of the scene in a sort of Morricone-like approach, something he did very rarely. By consequence, you can sense a bit more the mixing console faders going up and down when dialogue comes in, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

The world premiere will be at the Royal Albert Hall in London on 4th November this year, with two performances the following day.  Ludwig Wicki conducts the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra.  Tickets go on sale in, ooh, about three minutes' time.  I wonder if they'll have that on the tour?

Clever girl...

:flameblob:

Still no word on the dates for Raymond Gubbay presents: The Poseidon Adventure Live In Concert, in period costume and with a fantastic firework finale, so I suppose Jurassic Park will have to do while the interminable wait continues.

3 hours ago, scallenger said:

You're going to go to that one, RedBard?

I certainly hope so. My chances of seeing him are decreasing with every passing year. I've got meet him and chat it up with him (from one composer to another) at least once in my life.

It's a great little cue, but I'd bet money it will just play on the film's audio track like the other source music, even though Williams did write it 

I really want them to play it too. It would be welcomed so much and so much fun for the audience, so not doing it and just having the Orchestra stand there would be disappointing. I also hope they don't pull a huge no no and not have a choir! I only saw an Orchestra listed so they better not just have an Orchestra. That would be ridiculous.

Of course I'm so looking forward to hearing the major moments that the average audience member will crave, but I think I might just cry hearing 'My Friend The Brachiosaurus,' 'A Tree For My Bed,' and 'Remembering Petticoat Lane' echoing through the Hall.

There isn't much choir throughout the score though. I could see them doing it without a live choir.

When I saw STID live in Philadelphia, the choir for the Klingon cue came from the same speakers broadcasting the film audio.

There was a choir when I saw both Trek Live to Projections. And they were at the Albert Hall too, so I hope they continue the trend no matter how big or small the choirs involvement in the score is. Same with Independence Day. That better have a choir too. I say do it properly or not at all. Nothing is more disappointing than a half arsed attempt.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there only choir in the first 4 reels?

1ma Opening Titles
1m2 The Encased Mosquito
3m2 The Dinosaurs
4m1 Hatching Baby Raptor

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there only choir in the first 4 reels?

1ma Opening Titles
1m2 The Encased Mosquito
3m2 The Dinosaurs
4m1 Hatching Baby Raptor

Into the Kitchen also features low chorus.

Oh right!

So if they do pay for a choir, they'd have to stand there the entire movie then.

(In Home Alone: Live to Projection, the choir only takes the stage for the second half, because they put the intermission before Kevin goes into the church)

• 6 months later...

Wow weird, hopefully its a temporary issue with their site.

All I can recall is that there wasn't a lot of dates listed, but they were all in Europe, except for 3 performances in San Antonio Texas, in February 2017.

Here it is on their site

http://sasymphony.org/concerts-tickets/special-concerts/

I always hope for DC-area concerts, which is a 3 hour drive for me.  I very sadly had to miss the National Symphony accompanying Raiders at Wolf Trap this past July.  I still haven't seen one live to projection concert!

• 1 month later...

Still hoping after the London concerts are a smashing success, a bunch of 2017 and beyond dates get added!

NOVEMBER 2016

3NOVJURASSIC PARKcity: London, UK 7:30 pm Royal Albert HallOrchestra: Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra World Premiere

4NOVJURASSIC PARKcity: London, UK 7:30 pm Royal Albert HallOrchestra: Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra

5NOVJURASSIC PARKcity: London, UK 2:30 pm Royal Albert HallOrchestra: Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra

5NOVJURASSIC PARKcity: London, UK 7:30 pm Royal Albert HallOrchestra: Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra

13NOVJURASSIC PARKcity: Nashville, TN 7:00 pm Schermerhorn Symphony CenterOrchestra: Nashville Symphony North American Premiere

29NOVJURASSIC PARKcity: Munich, Germany 8:00 pm München: Philharmonie im GasteigOrchestra: The Sound of Hollywood Symphony Orchestra

30NOVJURASSIC PARKcity: Munich, Germany 8:00 pm München: Philharmonie im GasteigOrchestra: The Sound of Hollywood Symphony Orchestra

DECEMBER 2016

1DECJURASSIC PARKcity: Nürnberg, Germany 7:30 pm MeistersingerhalleOrchestra: The Sound of Hollywood Symphony Orchestra

5DECJURASSIC PARKcity: Stuttgart, Germany 8:00 pm Liederhalle, Beethoven-SaalOrchestra: The Sound of Hollywood Symphony Orchestra

FEBRUARY 2017

17FEBJURASSIC PARKcity: San Antonio, TX 8:00 pm Majestic TheatreOrchestra: San Antonio Symphony

18FEBJURASSIC PARKcity: San Antonio, TX 2:00 pm Majestic TheatreOrchestra: San Antonio Symphony

18FEBJURASSIC PARKcity: San Antonio, TX 7:00 pm Majestic TheatreOrchestra: San Antonio Symphony

No, its just good that it's finally getting more dates announced!  I want it to come to New England!

I don't get the mentality of returning to the same city every time you come to the USA, when our country has so much more to offer!

Most of the southern states are full of rednecks and rattle snakes. Texas has no points of interest. New York is far too big, LA is completely fake and there's no point going there is you can't drive a car. So that leaves San Francisco or New England, and John Williams doesnt perform in Frisco much

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

New York is far too big

?????

New York City is amazing!  I've visited 4 times and would happily go back any time, everytime I find new cool new areas to explore

Fantastic subway system, too

Williams is one of these composers who can get the max out of a smaller ensemble. Where it does indeed not really matter all that much. Herrmann was another.

On the other hand, there are plenty of scores that employ a huge orchestra where it ends up sounding quite small (BTTF for example)

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Williams is one of these composers who can get the max out of a smaller ensemble. Where it does indeed not really matter all that much. Herrmann was another.

On the other hand, there are plenty of scores that employ a huge orchestra where it ends up sounding quite small (BTTF for example)

Or Horner's Troy. Which actually uses 35 extra players on top of what Yared used.

Yeah, that is what I mean. If you're a skilled composer you can achieve an epic sound with smaller ensemble. 

Plus an 80-piece orchestra is hardly small. In fact in concert world that would be massive.

Karol