John Williams' Film Night, Boston, May 12 & 13 2016

Andrej

Just found out info regarding May's Boston concerts: http://groupevents.bostonpops.org/uploads/files/home/16POPS-brochure.pdf

JOHN WILLIAMS’ FILM NIGHT John Williams & Keith Lockhart, conductors

Thursday May 12, 8pm Friday May 13, 8pm

Boston Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams shares the podium with Boston Pops Conductor Keith Lockhart for this signature concert. The brilliant composer and conductor behind films including Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and the Harry Potter series, brings you a night of some of the most memorable movie music film clips of all time. This is a concert not to be missed!

As stated elsewhere here, tickets should go on sale on February 22nd 2016

16POPS-brochure.pdf

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Hmmm...co conducting seems to be a thing for JW these days....

Better this way than what happened last year... :)

That's a fair way to promote the concert. I guess Williams will contribute at the height of his shape that day...at least he will be present.

I actually made the round trip from Vienna to Boston just to see Kaufman conducting (although decent after all), so I'm hoping for different story this year... should I find inner strength to go again :)

Excellent. I also still have the gift certificate from last year so here's hoping everything goes as planned this time around.

Just to be sure, in 2016 we will have 3 Williams' concert?

Those ones announced with the brochure (May 12 and May 13, tickets on sale Feb. 22)

And  that one on their website (Aug 13, tickets on sale Jan 24) https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/77823

Or I miss something?

EDIT : I just saw the other topic about the Tanglewood one! So, we have the May concerts in Boston Symphony Hall and we have the August concert in Tanglewood (outside)? Sorry I'm not familiar with those locations, I'm from Canada and I plan to go to both of the concerts!

My very first JW concert (and indeed my first time abroad) was Tanglewood in 2005. If I remember correctly, it was about a 5 hour coach ride from Boston. I actually enjoyed it - listening to Williams' music while staring out the coach window.

Since then, I saw him in New York in 2012 and twice in Boston (2013 and 2014).

Being abroad at the moment I likely won't be home in time for the Boston concerts (although I may be tempted to trek down for the Raiders concert early June), but I'll definitely go to the Tanglewood film night.

I find it a little unfortunate that BU will have a private concert with Williams Saturday night that won't be open to the general public. Given they are local they could easily have went on a Wednesday or Thursday night, compared to people from outside the Boston area who can only travel on weekends.

For Sebcote's info, Tanglewood is in Lenox, MA in the western part of the state (Albany, NY is the closest large city). You would need a car to get down (4.5 hours), or I can look into offering a carpool option if other JWFanners from the Montreal area need a lift.

1 hour ago, Foxfan said:

I find it a little unfortunate that BU will have a private concert with Williams Saturday night that won't be open to the general public. Given they are local they could easily have went on a Wednesday or Thursday night, compared to people from outside the Boston area who can only travel on weekends.

Oh wow I just noticed that. It says sold out, is that just because it's a private concert or is it actually sold out? And who exactly gets to go to a private concert for BU anyway?

On 1/20/2016 at 11:51 PM, Foxfan said:

Is the Boston University concert actually conducted by JW?  Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that indicated in the brochure.

On 1/22/2016 at 0:42 PM, dfenton85 said:

Does he still enters/exits using the stage door and signs a few autographs? Not exactly a proper "greet" though.

That's what he doesn't do anymore.  Sometimes he still comes out that door but doesn't sign anything; Sometimes they sneak him out some other door we don't know about

I don't know if we're going to do Boston Film Night htis year or not.  It's bad timing; Saturday the 14th is Marcy's 30th birthday and we were planning a vacation around that time.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno if we're going to do Tanglewood this year or not.  We have so much travel throughout the whole year.  Might decide when it gets closer to August.

On 20/1/2016 at 1:51 AM, Foxfan said:

Being abroad at the moment I likely won't be home in time for the Boston concerts (although I may be tempted to trek down for the Raiders concert early June), but I'll definitely go to the Tanglewood film night.

For Sebcote's info, Tanglewood is in Lenox, MA in the western part of the state (Albany, NY is the closest large city). You would need a car to get down (4.5 hours), or I can look into offering a carpool option if other JWFanners from the Montreal area need a lift.

I would love to, but my gf and I are taking a roadtrip together to see this concert. We'll plan to stay in boston for the weekend too!

Just to be sure, the tickets goes on sale feb 22nd? 10 am? Where will I need to go to buy them? www.bso.org?

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, sebacote said:

Just to be sure, the tickets goes on sale feb 22nd? 10 am? Where will I need to go to buy them? www.bso.org?

Yes, it's usually at 10am EST. Ticket information will soon be available at the BSO website.

I will be going on Thursday 12. Confirmed! I just hope Williams doesn't cancel, as I don't really know if I will be able to make this trip again any time soon.

Okay, so if Mr. Williams isn't conducting, what does he do? Does he walk out and introduce the show and then leave? Does he maybe conduct at least one score? I'm so upset he cancelled last year as traveling to Boston is gonna be tricky for me this time. I've never seen him in concert and I understand he's in his 80s, but I just want him to be present. 

10 minutes ago, SeanPrzano said:

Okay, so if Mr. Williams isn't conducting, what does he do?

As far as we know, Williams is sharing the podium with Keith Lockhart. So it's safe to assume that he will conduct at least a few pieces.