John Williams' Film Night, Boston, May 12 & 13 2016

Andrej

BOSTON (AP) — The force is strong with the Boston Pops in 2016. The beloved orchestra announced its spring concert schedule on Friday, and it's a star-studded lineup. Oscar- and Grammy-winning composer John Williams, who wrote the score for "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," will help Pops conductor Keith Lockhart lead a performance of selections from the hit movie's soundtrack.

Williams, the Pops' conductor laureate, was the force behind the music for all seven "Star Wars" films. He'll take the baton on May 12-13 for the Pops' Film Night appearances, which will screen clips from those movies as well as other film classics Williams wrote music for: "Jaws," the "Indiana Jones" movies and the "Harry Potter" series.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a1c402c26cfe44f88ce5782d68df044f/star-wars-bowie-tributes-top-boston-pops-spring-lineup

Thursday, May 12

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/79079/

Friday, May 13

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/79080/

My question is about the music. I have read that the Pops concert will feature selections from "Force Awakens."

First, I was wondering if anyone has more confirmation on that.

Second, my thought is that music for a specific film being available on the concert circuit involves the arrangements being made and a publisher putting out the printed symphony orchestra parts.

So, if the Boston Pops gets "Force Awakens," is that likely to mean that other orchestras might soon perform a piece like "March of the Resistance?"

Thank you for your input!

1 hour ago, johnmiller said:

So, if the Boston Pops gets "Force Awakens," is that likely to mean that other orchestras might soon perform a piece like "March of the Resistance?"

Thank you for your input!

The Orchestral Suite for The Force Awakens will be available for orchestras and the public worldwide by Hal Leonard, in their John Williams Signature Editions. Both full score and score + parts will be available for purchase.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=4491706&lid=21&keywords=force%20awakens&subsiteid=1&

1 hour ago, Scarpia said:

The Orchestral Suite for The Force Awakens will be available for orchestras and the public worldwide by Hal Leonard, in their John Williams Signature Editions. Both full score and score + parts will be available for purchase.

Thank you very much for the answer! I loved the score, and would love to hear it live.

What's the point of 'sharing' the podium? Suddenly he no longer has the capacity to conduct a full concert? He can't conduct sitting down?

I made it to Boston 2014, and was very grateful for the experience. Only two years ago there was practically no sign of Johnny slowing down.

With all due respect to Keith Lockhart, I wouldn't interested in paying to see him conduct, when JW is roaming around.

Sharing the podium with Lockhart must be Williams' decision, he must have his own reasons, and I respect them as such. He could stop performing on Boston or any other place far from his home at any minute, so I'm really grateful he's still conducting his Film Night.

(Fingers crossed)

12 hours ago, zoltan_902 said:

What's the point of 'sharing' the podium? Suddenly he no longer has the capacity to conduct a full concert? He can't conduct sitting down?

I made it to Boston 2014, and was very grateful for the experience. Only two years ago there was practically no sign of Johnny slowing down.

With all due respect to Keith Lockhart, I wouldn't interested in paying to see him conduct, when JW is roaming around.

Is conducting while sitting even a thing? The man is in his 80s, can't really expect him to tour the country like a rock star.

16 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Is conducting while sitting even a thing? The man is in his 80s, can't really expect him to tour the country like a rock star.

Yeah, why not? It's not unheard of.

22 hours ago, Scarpia said:

Sharing the podium with Lockhart must be Williams' decision, he must have his own reasons, and I respect them as such. He could stop performing on Boston or any other place far from his home at any minute, so I'm really grateful he's still conducting his Film Night.

(Fingers crossed)

Agree 100%. Conducting a 2-hrs symphony concert is a very demanding physical activity that requires to be in top shape.

Same here, I've been trying since 10am, and it's been a stressful 35 minutes!  >_<  It's hard to imagine anyone could have successfully bought any tickets over the web so far given that the site won't even load. I'm tempted to say it's worse than Ticketmaster! But that would be going too far.

Yeah, I'm assuming they just haven't got everything up and ready yet to purchase, not an overall traffic problem, because when I did get on, they hadn't changed any of the buttons to "buy tickets now'  . But then again, i have no idea.

I'm going to the US for my honeymoon, just because this concert would be given. I need these tickets!!

59 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Yeah, I'm assuming they just haven't got everything up and ready yet to purchase, not an overall traffic problem, because when I did get on, they hadn't changed any of the buttons to "buy tickets now'  . But then again, i have no idea.

I think the same, the little bits I could see hadn't change from what was previously.

Got front and center for the Friday show.  First row was cheaper than second, I guess because you have to crane your beck a bit... but worth it!

My mom did it since I was busy at the moment (this concert has been a tradition for us for eight years now).  According to her, call 617-266-2378 and they'll transfer you into the box office line. Direct line is busy. 

2 minutes ago, rpvee said:

My mom did it since I was busy at the moment (this concert has been a tradition for us for eight years now).  According to her, call 617-266-2378 and they'll transfer you into the box office line. Direct line is busy. 

That line is busy too.

2 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Just tried, busy line too :(

ONE MOMENT PLEASE

UPDATING YOUR SELECTION

Just now, sebacote said:

ONE MOMENT PLEASE

UPDATING YOUR SELECTION

Andddddddddddd the page crashed! Let's start again :P