John Williams' Film Night, Boston, May 12 & 13 2016

Andrej

Hey gang, I bought tickets to the 5/13 show, and just found out I will not be able to attend.  If anyone is interested in purchasing tickets and was shut out, let me know.  I'm going to post them on StubHub today.  The seats are Section 4, Row Q, Seats 2 & 3, and the price per ticket was $95 with fees on top.  The tickets may be $101 each if I factor in the fees.

If anyone is interested, I will post the link once they're available.  Or if there is a better way to transact without going through StubHub, let me know.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I am not able to attend the concert too. If anyone is interested please contact me. 

I am interested, JTGL. Or if anyone else knows of someone that is unable to attend either Boston show and has two tickets, I've been trying to find some for a while. Please message me! Thank you.

So for people who are going, Is anyone doing a meetup dinner before hand? Me and some friends are making the trip for our first time so if anything's going on we'd be interested in attending if we're able to.

Thanks to a variety of reasons, I will now be attending the Thurdsay night concert in Boston!  Hooray!

Since I haven't been paying much attention: Who from here is going Thursday night as well?

I could potentially meet up for dinner depending on traffic and if I can leave work on time.

I now have two tickets to Friday night's show that I am selling. They are three rows from the stage in the orchestra row C. If you're interested please message me. 

On 5/9/2016 at 4:59 PM, Jay said:

Thanks to a variety of reasons, I will now be attending the Thurdsay night concert in Boston!  Hooray!

Since I haven't been paying much attention: Who from here is going Thursday night as well?

I could potentially meet up for dinner depending on traffic and if I can leave work on time.

BUMP

I have to head on home as soon as the show is over

I currently can't predict how early I can get into the city, but I'll probably eat at that noodle bar near Symphony Hall when I get there

Program:

Keith Lockhart Conducting:

Prelude to Ben-Hur

Love Theme from Out of Africa

Main Title, Fountain Theme, and Chez Maxim Waltz from Gigi

Suite from Forrest Gump

Selections from The Godfather

Opening Sequence from Star Trek Into Darkness

John Wiliams Conducting:

Star Wars Main Title

Rey's Theme

March of the Resistance

Princess Leia's Theme

The Asteroid Field

Luke and Leia

Scherzo for X-Wings

The Jedi Steps and Finale

So it turns out the program so far doesn't reflect what's actually being played.  It's currently intermission as I type this.

The first three selections were the same as the program, but then it went right into Star Trek into Darkness. Then Keith Lockhart said he wanted to play some John Williams pieces, so the first half of the show ended with Harry's Wondrous World (set to a video of footage from the first four films) and then The Raiders March (set to a video of footage from the first three films).

I can't wait for the second half; so excited to hear FOUR Force Awakens pieces!

According to their website, this concert is being aired on Saturday May 21st.

Saturday, May 21

Film Night!

Laureate Conductor John Williams and Pops Conductor Keith Lockhart team up to lead a program of cinematic magic, with music from unforgettable films across the decades!

http://www.wgbh.org/995/bso.cfm

Yes, it was basically like what he said in Philly but even more essentially a confirmation that he's doing it.

It's clear though that he isn't involved yet, like he clearly hadn't read a script or anything.  Who knows of he's even met Rian Johnson!

Did anyone try to meet Williams before/after?  Any luck, even with just an autograph?  I'm going tomorrow with my mom (as usual! :D), but I'm also bringing someone with us who doesn't even know he's getting on a bus to Boston, let alone that he's seeing the man who composed his ringtone lol.  So there's a big and fun day ahead, and it'd be amazing if my friend can get an autograph! :D 

This is my 8th time seeing Williams live, so I'm extremely excited to share the experience with someone who has never seen him before, adores him completely, and has no idea it's going to happen!

2 hours ago, rpvee said:

Did anyone try to meet Williams before/after?  Any luck, even with just an autograph?  I'm going tomorrow with my mom (as usual! :D), but I'm also bringing someone with us who doesn't even know he's getting on a bus to Boston, let alone that he's seeing the man who composed his ringtone lol.  So there's a big and fun day ahead, and it'd be amazing if my friend can get an autograph! :D 

This is my 8th time seeing Williams live, so I'm extremely excited to share the experience with someone who has never seen him before, adores him completely, and has no idea it's going to happen!

That's awesome you're going to see him tomorrow man! Assuming it's your picture, you've Met the maestro before? I had made a post last week about wondering how to meet him as I'm seeing him for the first time on August 13th in Tanglewood (a long, long drive). Obviously, I really hope to meet him. Be sure to let us know how you met him if you do, and good luck!

It was a selection of scenes while he conducted the Jedi Steps and Finale.

He clearly had a crush on Rey! Confirmed by the maestro himself. He will not allow anyone else to write music for her (his own words).

10 hours ago, rpvee said:

I didn't try before or after, no.

Williams used to come out and sign autographs between the side exit of the building and the car waiting for him, but after a bunch of losers that didn't even attend the shows started crowding the place with stuff to sign to sell on ebay, he stopped doing it.

Then we learned you could get him to sign stuff BEFORE the show at the same side door; However, I have no idea if that is still the case, nor how early one would have to be to do that.  However, you can see pictures and read a story of a successful pre-show signing right here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22593-john-williams-at-symphony-hall-june-7-12-2013-boston-ma/&page=15

1 hour ago, Andrej said:

Just got back home from Boston. I’m so glad I went this year after last years‘round trip with no JW appearance. This was the single most intense concert experience I’ve ever had. Great performance, loved the new pieces from TFA. I made the trip from Bratislava, Slovakia to Boston and back in less than 56 hours, but it was worth every minute of travel.

Man, that is quite the distance. And I think an 8 hour drive is a long time... :P Seriously though, that is really cool. After all, it's John Williams.

6 hours ago, Dane Bryant Frazier said:

Man, that is quite the distance. And I think an 8 hour drive is a long time... :P Seriously though, that is really cool. After all, it's John Williams.

The Americans have it lucky. I traveled to Boston from Sydney, Australia for the concert in 2014. While still a heck of a way to travel (though as Dane says, worth every minute), it's perhaps not quite as physically demanding as a trip from Bratislava.

I think I can give up an hope of a JW conducting tour of Australia. I'll just have to find opportunity to come to Boston again, before he leaves us forever.

I loved the show, the trip from Canada and the hassle to get tickets worth the wait!

The guy who handed me the tickets at entrance didn't asked for any IDs, I could have been anyone else and just said my name and he gave me the tickets, otherwise everything was perfect!

As a musician myself (I play euphonium), I watched Williams conduct almost all the time and you know it's a great maestro. That was so great!

IMG_0621.png

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

Great write-up Jason. Can't wait to read the rest!

Hopefully the concert ends up being streamed online in the near future; I'd love to hear those TFA pieces. Were any radio stations broadcasting?

53 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Great write-up Jason. Can't wait to read the rest!

Hopefully the concert ends up being streamed online in the near future; I'd love to hear those TFA pieces. Were any radio stations broadcasting?

From the front page:

The concert is being aired Saturday, May 21 on WBGH

I made the trip up from Canada as well and I must say this was absolutely fantastic! My first time seeing Williams live and I don't think it could've been better. Was first row front and centre for the first show and a bit off to the left of the stage for the 2nd. The orchestra sounded fantastic and Williams was looking like he was having a great time. All in all an amazing show and I can't wait to go back next year. Honestly I haven' t heard a crowd as excited and appreciative as that of the 2nd night. It was electric in the hall.

As for autograph's, I did wait around after the first show and he did come out after a while. Probably 40 minutes or so after the concert ended he came out the side door and signed a few autograph's before leaving. It was great to see him do it but unless you were in the front row waiting you wouldn't have gotten anything signed as he did leave fairly quickly after. Still great on Williams for still taking to time to sign some things after all of these years.

I went to the Thursday night show and it was great.

That being said, it's always hard to come up with disappointments from these shows, I mean they are magical evenings that I wish everyone could take the chance to experience.   And I didn't even mind that John Williams only conducted half of the night.  I understand with his age and everything. 

But I was just disappointed in the fact that it turned into a Star Wars night, not a Film Night.  I was honestly shocked that JW's whole set (excluding one piece) was ALL Star Wars.

Don't get me wrong, it was amazing to hear The Asteroid Field and Jedi Steps, and Rey's Theme (which was fucking incredible).  But it was just too much Star Wars.

The Yoda's Theme/Imperial March/ Flying Theme from E.T. ENCORE was nice.  But I've heard that same encore before.

Highlight of the night for me was Rey's Theme, The Asteroid Field, and the opening to Star Trek Into Darkness.  That was awesome.  I was hoping we would get the Forest Gump suite that was on the program, but I'm guessing the Friday Night show got that.

All in all, it was still amazing as usual.

Fantastic! :D It's really funny how he thought he was writing a love theme for Luke and Leia with Princess Leia theme.

Jay, just to confirm - was the ending of The Jedi Steps & Finale the film version (soft ending) or concert version (loud chord with timpani, like the ending of Star Wars Main Title)?