Memoirs of a Geisha to be released on vinyl on 21st of March 2016

Incanus

I just chanced upon this piece of news when browsing Music On Vinyl site. Memoirs of a Geisha is to be released on LP on the 21st of March 2016.

Memoirs Of A Geisha (2005) is the award winning drama film adaptation of the novel of the same name. The original score and songs were composed and conducted by John Williams. The album won the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score, BAFTA Award for Best Film Music and the Grammy Award for Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media. It was also nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Score.

• 180 gram audiophile vinyl
  • Gatefold sleeve / insert
  • Etched D side
  • PVC protective sleeve
  • Featuring Yo-Yo Ma & Itzhak Perlman
  • Available on vinyl for the first time!

Catalog # : MOVATM074

Format : 2 LP, 180 gram

Releasedate : 2016-03-21

Barcode : 8719262000544 Sleeve : Gatefold Original Release : 2005 

Side A                             

1. Sayuri's Theme
2. The Journey To The Hanamachi
3. Going To School
4. Brush On Silk
5. Chiyo's Prayer
6. Becoming A Geisha

Side B    

1. Finding Satsu
2. The Chairman's Waltz
3. The Rooftops Of The Hanamachi
4. The Garden Meeting
5. Dr. Crab's Prize
6. Destiny's Path
7. A New Name...A New Life

Side C

1. The Fire Scene And The Coming Of War
2. As The Water...
3. Confluence                                                                                     
4. A Dream Discarded
5. Sayuri's Theme And End Credits

Side D

ETCH

Yep.

It is very easy for an existing film score album to be remastered, put on different physical formats, etc.

It is a very complicated process to add more music to it licensed from the film studio.

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yep.

It is very easy for an existing film score album to be remastered, put on different physical formats, etc.

It is a very complicated process to add more music to it licensed from the film studio.

Ok.

But what if an OST re-release means renewing the rights of the holder company?

That would add more years for a deal to expire and let expanded releases...

It can affect our niche market schedules...

I don't know the reason of these vinyl releases. Are vinyls pressed from digital masters any better than Cds or hi-fi audio? Or it's just a nostalgia wave for an elegant format for a more civilised day?

Oh, it's really curious. I'd put money on real vinlys, but the idea of these faux ones remind me of those mass-produced silver plated candle holders in period styles, that are lacquered with modern chemicals.

Each to his own! I'm still glad this vinly renaissance is bringing back physical formats for music and new record stores, at least here in Chile.

It's a generation thing. It will not last to the next one.

It's like a monkey trying to imitate his parents.

Big retarded monkeys... thinking it was better "before"... and wanting to hold LPs in their hands now just because it was obsolete when they grew up.

And then there are collectors.  They woud buy a pile of shit if the Star Wars logo was on it.

Why not let those LP aficionados have their fun if there are people willing to cater to their tastes. No harm, no foul.

Personally I'll stick to my CDs.

I (like many here) prefer to own my music in a physical form.

And I just happen to prefer the vinyl, because it looks amazing with the big covers, the quality is good and (I know this may sound weird) it sort of forces me to listen to the album in chronological order, which is what I like better, but often forget when I listen to music digitally. I can't help jumping around a little bit.

It's not a nostalgic thing as I wasn't raised with it or anything.