E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - Live to Projection Concerts

TownerFan

Attended last night. Was really a magnificent performance. Crowd wasn't too terrible either. This was my first time seeing the LA Phil, and couldn't have been more pleased. Really happy I was able to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Film Music Society review of the concert (by Jon Burlingame):

Williams wrote a new first-act concert ending and an entr'acte for the post-intermission return to the film; the popular concert version of his "flying theme" was heard as a new piece for the end credits.

http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_events/features/2015/090815.html

From the Film Music Society review of the concert (by Jon Burlingame):

Williams wrote a new first-act concert ending and an entr'acte for the post-intermission return to the film; the popular concert version of his "flying theme" was heard as a new piece for the end credits.

http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_events/features/2015/090815.html

I thought that ending sounded new. It was quite dramatic and over-the-top bombastic from what I recall.

From what I recall, it was basically a short presentation of the flying theme, to get back into the mood of the last scene before the the intermission (the flying scene, of course), before quieting down (after about a minute) to a somber tone for the continuation with the scene where the mother puts out the candles.

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't play the great piano-only beginning of the credits cue, but the flying theme is always nice of course ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The new piece is a very nice "mood setter." I like how it captures the atmosphere of the scene in the movie played immediately after. It sounds right at home with the original soundtrack, but you can hear just a touch of modern Williams sensibilities.

The rise of such live performance with the movie really is going to benefit the longevity of Williams work in terms of live performances. I hope you treats future movie events with such care (concert ending to the first half and entr'acte). Can you imagine hearing ESB from start to finish live?

• 1 month later...

No New England :(

No Old England :(

England! :)

Corrected for factuals!

E.T. will be performed live to picture at the Royal Albert Hall in London on 28th December 2016, with a choice between performances at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Details here:

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2016/et-live-in-concert/

:w00t:

• 1 month later...
On 15.11.2015 at 3:55 PM, Omen II said:

Corrected for factuals!

E.T. will be performed live to picture at the Royal Albert Hall in London on 28th December 2016, with a choice between performances at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Details here:

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2016/et-live-in-concert/

:w00t:

And, of course, it took me almost two months to notice this.

It might be a good opportunity to watch the film in full for the first time :)

Karol

I wish they would publish the full scores. Since these events are being done, then it's evident they already have a well edited full score for all the cues. I would be like buying an opera or ballet score, but with outstanding John Williams music for studying and performing!

But I don't think they'll do it anytime soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Quite excellent.

Sadly Finland doesn't seem to have any film music concerts in store for this year apart from the Morricone concert and Fenton's Planet Earth. We definitely need more Williams on the programme.

On 8/1/2016 at 1:39 AM, Scarpia said:

I wish they would publish the full scores. Since these events are being done, then it's evident they already have a well edited full score for all the cues. I would be like buying an opera or ballet score, but with outstanding John Williams music for studying and performing!

But I don't think they'll do it anytime soon...

If I think that Hal Leonard is publishing concert suites which last a few minutes, in full scores where the word "full" is to be intended in the sense "full of errors", and they charge like if they were selling complete operas, while the complete and proof-read digitized scores exist, but they are not made available to the public... 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Excellent!

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Quite excellent.

It's also important to note that this is part of their regular subscription concert season.  This is not a summer concert or an outdoor event, this is geared toward the classical music crowd.  Obviously it's open to anyone who purchases a ticket once they're open to the public, but this year and next year mark a landmark in playing Williams music at the Philadelphia Orchestra, who had never once played one of his works on subscription until recently.

It'll be cool to see it performed in their hall!

On 20/01/2016 at 5:12 PM, nightscape94 said:

It's also important to note that this is part of their regular subscription concert season.  This is not a summer concert or an outdoor event.

Great to know this! The music deserves this kind of consideration.

On 9/21/2015 at 9:35 AM, Ricard said:

E.T. Live in Concert will return in November and next Spring:

http://filmconcertslive.com/movies/e-t-extra-terrestrial/

This site now lists dates beyond June.

I'm glad its coming to Philly, Chicago, London, and Kansas City, but where's Boston?

Coincidentally I'll be in California the same week in March they are playing in San Francisco... hmmm.

On 20.01.2016 at 3:39 PM, Incanus said:

Sadly Finland doesn't seem to have any film music concerts in store for this year apart from the Morricone concert and Fenton's Planet Earth. We definitely need more Williams on the programme.

In any case, those two are not bad events. :)

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm driving to Jacksonville for this.  Does anyone here have any experience with the Symphony Orchestra there?  Are they any good? :)  I'm not expecting Boston with Williams here, but will they do the film / score justice?