E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - Live to Projection Concerts

TownerFan

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote a more formal review of this concert for school music class extra credit. Obviously I had to "dumb it down" a lot, since I wasn't writing to a film score fan audience. For example, I only included a few references to specific cues, and didn't bother keeping any consistency with where I was getting the names (I might use one from the OST, then one from the expanded CD, etc.)

Hopefully my teacher isn't too mad that I referred to a film score as a "masterwork," and stated that it was only one of Williams' many. 

E.T the Extra Terrestrial in Concert

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Music by John Williams

Richard Kaufman conductor

Steven Spielberg’s classic 1982 film E.T the Extra Terrestrial about a small alien -- E.T. -- that is abandoned on Earth and searches for a way home was a recent installment of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra’s “live to projection” film concert series, in which the score is performed live in sync with the picture, which is projected on a large screen behind the orchestra. The dialogue and sound effects play through speakers as they normally would.

There was a large crowd at this performance, the second of three. These film concerts are surely a boon to the orchestras all over the world that do them, allowing them to tap into a demographic that does not usually attend orchestral concerts.

John Williams’ score to this film is one of his many masterworks, and the CSO played the material, some of which was incredibly difficult, nearly perfectly. Also of note is the incredible task the conductor faces. In front of Kaufman was a screen showing the film with “streamers” -- colored lines that show starts and ends of cues, important sync points, and major tempo changes -- added. It was his job to keep the orchestra in perfect sync with the film at all times, for film scoring often depends on extremely precise timing for maximum effect.

The main title cue was played through speakers, as it’s filled with eerie sound effects created electronically that would have been difficult to perform live, so the first music the audience heard was the second cue, “Far From Home.” However, the first major highlight came in the next cue, “Abandoned and Pursued.” A frenetic string section with brass outbursts interspersed featured some virtuoso playing from the CSO. Then, massive fanfares with timpani booms and cymbal crashes were heard, with a clear sense of desperation to them as E.T. sees his fellow aliens fly away, abandoning him.

Such bombast would not be heard again for quite a while. A large portion of the film was scored in subdued fashion, as E.T. and a boy he meets named Elliot slowly become friends. Harp and celesta had major parts. The friendship theme, certainly the most famous from the film, was introduced in this part.

The most famous scene and cue from the film came in “Halloween.” A grand rendition of the friendship theme played over the famous shot of E.T. and Elliot flying past the moon.

While the original film did not feature an intermission, one was added to the concert performance right after “Halloween.” To lead into it, Williams had written a short new bombastic ending to “Halloween.” Unfortunately, the audience clapped over most of it, since the word “Intermission” appeared on the screen.

When the second half began, a short new entr’acte Williams had written was played. Then, the film continued. One interesting moment was a cue that played as the U.S. government arrived to capture E.T. It used only timpani and gran cassa.

By far the best moment of the film musically was the final 15 minutes, which started with complex action and ended with operatic emotion. Williams’ showed off his incredible action writing talent during the truck and bicycle chase. All the quiet passages in the score had been building up to this. The massive orchestra was put to full use, and they played with aplomb. The percussion and brass sections (which were unfortunately partially obscured by the screen) finally had their extended moment to shine. The woodwinds and strings did not exactly have it easy either, with the winds playing wild runs and the strings playing frenetic parts.

After the chase sequence, the music turned operatic for the final minutes of the film as E.T. left Elliot and got on a spaceship to return to his home planet. After that scene when the end credits started, the clapping crowd once again got in the way of the music. The orchestra played an arrangement of the flying theme over the end credits. It was a bizarre programming choice by Williams and the concert producers, given that it ended exactly the same as the previous E.T-leaves-on-the-spaceship music that had been heard about five minutes prior. That said, it was not necessarily a bad choice, due to the strength of that timpani-pounding finale.

Overall, it was inarguably a way better experience than simply watching the film on DVD or listening to the score on CD.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to to see this at the Royal Albert Hall this evening and was yet again blown away by how amazing it was to see and hear a John Williams score performed live to picture.  There are so many details in the orchestration that you notice for the first time.  And that last fifteen minutes or so, just wow!  It was great to see David Newman conducting the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra so perfectly in sync with the picture in front of another full house.

Here are a few photos from the rehearsals by Morwenna Del Mar, one of the cellists in the RPCO today.  I wish I could watch a different movie with a John Williams score performed live to picture at the Royal Albert Hall every week!

On 12/31/2016 at 8:39 AM, Omen II said:

Whoever shot this fantastic video and uploaded it on YouTube deserves a knighthood in the New Year's Honours List.  He has even captured the new music that segues from the flying theme into the intermission at the end of the first half!

:crymore:

Wow! That is indeed quite a video. 

I could watch videos of the live-to-projection last reel of ET All. Damn. Day.

Although it's a little disappointing that these latest LTP concerts sub in the concert arrangement of Flying Theme for the beautiful, perfect piano part that opens the credits in the film.

That seems to be a deliberate creative decision on Williams' part, anticipating the clapping and obnoxious cheering from the audience. You wouldn't be able to hear the piano anyway.

4 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

That seems to be a deliberate creative decision on Williams' part, anticipating the clapping and obnoxious cheering from the audience. You wouldn't be able to hear the piano anyway.

Yeah that makes sense for a live concert like this.  Watching the film that piano part is such an amazing capstone to the incredible emotional crescendo of that last scene.  It's probably my favorite transition to credits in film history.

• 3 weeks later...

Tanglewood info:

ET_Moon_image345.jpg

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in Concert

Tanglewood

Koussevitzky Music Shed - Lenox, MA - View Map

Relive the magic on the silver screen of Steven Spielberg's great family adventure, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, a best picture nominee and one of the most popular films of all time. Thrill to John Williams' Academy Award-winning score performed live by the Boston Pops.

Tickets go on sale January 29 10am

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/85535/

Latest dates:

FEBRUARY 2017

3FEBE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Kansas City, MO 8:00 pm Kauffman CenterOrchestra: Kansas City Symphonybuytixbutt.png

4FEBE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Kansas City, MO 8:00 pm Kauffman CenterOrchestra: Kansas City Symphonybuytixbutt.png

5FEBE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Kansas City, MO 2:00 pm Kauffman CenterOrchestra: Kansas City Symphonybuytixbutt.png

9FEBE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Houston, TX 7:30 pm Jones HallOrchestra: Houston Symphonybuytixbutt.png

MARCH 2017

2MARE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Portland, OR 7:30 pm Arlene Schnitzer Concert HallOrchestra: Oregon Symphonybuytixbutt.png

APRIL 2017

27APRE.T.city: Denver, Colorado 7:30 pm Boettcher Concert HallOrchestra: Colorado Symphonybuytixbutt.png

MAY 2017

10MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Vancouver, BC 7:30 pm Orpheum TheatreOrchestra: Vancouver Symphonybuytixbutt.png

11MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Vancouver, BC 7:30 pm Orpheum TheatreOrchestra: Vancouver Symphonybuytixbutt.png

12MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: New York, NY 7:00 pm David Geffen HallOrchestra: New York Philharmonicbuytixbutt.png

13MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: New York, NY 1:00 pm David Geffen HallOrchestra: New York Philharmonicbuytixbutt.png

13MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: New York, NY 7:00 pm David Geffen HallOrchestra: New York Philharmonicbuytixbutt.png

18MAYE.T.city: Baltimore, MD 8:00 pm StrathmoreOrchestra: Baltimore Symphonybuytixbutt.png

19MAYE.T.city: Baltimore, MD 8:00 pm Meyerhoff Symphony HallOrchestra: Baltimore Symphonybuytixbutt.png

20MAYE.T.city: Baltimore, MD 3:00 pm Meyerhoff Symphony HallOrchestra: Baltimore Symphonybuytixbutt.png

20MAYE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Baton Rouge, LA 7:30 pm Baton Rouge River Center TheatreOrchestra: Baton Rouge Symphony Orchestrabuytixbutt.png

20MAYE.T.city: Baltimore, MD 8:00 pm Meyerhoff Symphony HallOrchestra: Baltimore Symphonybuytixbutt.png

SHOW MORE EVENTS

JUNE 2017

30JUNE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Nashville, TN 7:00 pm Schermerhorn Symphony CenterOrchestra: Nashville Symphonybuytixbutt.png

AUGUST 2017

25AUGE.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIALcity: Lenox, MA 8:00 pm Tanglewood - Koussevitzky Music ShedOrchestra: Boston Pops

• 2 weeks later...

There will be two live to projection performances of E.T. in Vienna on December 10:

14:00 - https://konzerthaus.at/konzert/eventid/54518

19:30 - https://konzerthaus.at/konzert/eventid/54519

I guess chances of this being unamplified are slim, but the important thing is that this takes place at the Konzerthaus, a proper concert hall. Usually, these things happen at the Stadthalle here, which is a huge venue with crappy acoustics even for big rock concerts, and they're selling popcorn, ice cream and beer during the performance regardless of the type of concert. The Konzerthaus should guarantee good acoutics, and the Synchron Stage Orchestra should know how to handle this (they're the official orchestra of Vienna's new media music recording studio and have performed on scores like The Crown, Inferno and, most recently, The LEGO Batman Movie).

This should actually be good!

Ah, forgot about this thread. Thanks for moving my post.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

No Musikverein? Pffft! 

Reminds me of the one film music concert I saw at the Musikverein. Two people were talking afterwards: "This was nice, but they shouldn't play it here." - "But it's great music." - "Yes, but it doesn't belong here."

Musikverein acoustics wouldn't handle this well though, I think. The Konzerthaus is a great house, and its drier acoustics are right for stuff like this. Plus they've been doing their regular "Film + Musik Live" cycle for years, only mostly with pseudo-intellectual newly written scores for "serious" films.

Never been there, but I imagine it doesn't have the extra reverby acoustics of the Golden Hall at the Musikverein. Not all conductors and orchestras know how to handle it properly.

On 12/31/2016 at 6:39 AM, Omen II said:

Whoever shot this fantastic video and uploaded it on YouTube deserves a knighthood in the New Year's Honours List.  He has even captured the new music that segues from the flying theme into the intermission at the end of the first half!

:crymore:

This is a perfect example of why the music is a million times greater than the movie. 

• 2 months later...

The Orchestra of St. Paul's will be performing this at London's Royal Festival Hall in January 2018!

http://www.orchestraofstpauls.org/events/et-in-concert

They might not yet be a well known ensemble, but the OSP is a brilliant chamber orchestra with mostly young musicians.  I have seen them a few times, most recently for a concert of film and TV music at St. Martin-in-the-Fields in October.  They have already done a few live to projection concerts, including Psycho and Casablanca.  I suspect that they will engage additional players for this to make a full size orchestra.

• 5 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Williams' name should have been featured more prominently in that booklet :angry:

There was another page of much more extensive credits in the program book.  Also, the audience did cheerfully applaud when John Williams' credit appeared during the main title.

• 4 months later...

Tickets are lower than the normal OSM price, btw (I'm a yearly subscriber to the symphony).  There is a scifi movie-related concert too this year with pieces from Metropolis/Voyage to the center of the earth/The Face of Another (Tanin no kao)/E. T./Star Wars

• 2 weeks later...

@Omen II are you familiar with Covent Garden Sinfonia? They're doing a performance of E.T. at Royal Festival Hall in London on the 25th of January. Since I missed the Christmas performance at RAH a couple of years ago this is something I'd consider.

Karol

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

@Omen II are you familiar with Covent Garden Sinfonia? They're doing a performance of E.T. at Royal Festival Hall in London on the 25th of January. Since I missed the Christmas performance at RAH a couple of years ago this is something I'd consider.

Karol

Yes I am, Karol.  They are a brilliant young orchestra, previously known until a very recent name change as The Orchestra of St. Paul's, which is the church where they practise and perform sometimes (the so-called Actors' church in Covent Garden, not the more famous cathedral).  I saw them a couple of times last year, firstly in a live to picture performance of Bernard Herrmann's Psycho at the Roundhouse in Camden and later in a programme of film and TV music at St. Martin-in-the-Fields just off Trafalgar Square.  Both concerts were superb.

Most of their players are young - probably most in their twenties / early thirties - but don't let that put you off, as they are also extremely talented.  They are usually led by Francesca Barritt, who is a regular in the John Wilson Orchestra (as is her father, funnily enough) and conducted by Ben Palmer.

I imagine they will have to call in some extra players for E.T. as they are a chamber orchestra.  I believe they did this for Casablanca a couple of years ago too, also at the Royal Festival Hall.  I would not to hesitate to get a ticket for this if you can go.

• 4 weeks later...

Might not be the right thread but yesterday I went to see/hear E.T. live to Concert with the American Youth Orchestra. They did a phenomenal job playing this difficult music and fitting the timing.  The strings and winds were excellent but brass was under powered.  Still overall a wonderful experience and an extremely enthusiastic audience breaking over the music in thunderous applause during the two flying sequences.  Interestingly, the end of part 1 right after the first flight cut to an "Intermission" card where the music swelled up with new E.T. material to sound like a big climax rather than a fade out.  There is than an entre'acte before part 2 begins and it fades to Mary (the mom) waiting for the kids to return from Halloween while she puts out the candles. So there might be some new material added to these movies live to picture but they are really well done and great fun if you guys are able to check it out. 

IMG_3525.JPG