E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL - Live to Projection Concerts

TownerFan

I have a question (maybe a silly one) (and I will try to write it correctly, in an understandable English...).

Last Friday, I've attended a live to projection concert of E.T. in Bordeaux (during the Ciné Notes festival). And I was very surprised, when Elliott and E.T. are for the first time in Elliott's room, to hear that this beautiful harp piece (that we hear in The Beginning Of A Friendship)

https://youtu.be/9AIsk_O9hf4

because it was played by the only harp player in the orchestra. I always believed that it was a duet, but the player did it alone, as a polyphonic playing.

Back home, I read the notes inside the LLL edition, and I saw that two harp players were credited. But it doesn't tell if it's effectively a solo, or if this Bordelaise harp player was doing this in "difficult mode".

Any idea? ;)

@oxo1977

There were 7 days of recording for that score for the film, according to the said CD-album notes, so it might be a possibility that the two harp players may have not been together in all the days of recording.  In other words, one harp player may have worked on one set of music-cues on select days and another harp player may have worked on a different set of music-cues on other select days.

On 14/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, oxo1977 said:

Back home, I read the notes inside the LLL edition, and I saw that two harp players were credited. But it doesn't tell if it's effectively a solo, or if this Bordelaise harp player was doing this in "difficult mode".

The original score of E.T. calls for a single harp throughout, so no modification was necessary for the LTP version. This contrasts with Star Wars, Raiders, Jurassic Park, etc. where two harp parts were reduced for a single player for their LTP editions.

7 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

The original score of E.T. calls for a single harp throughout, so no modification was necessary for the LTP version. This contrasts with Star Wars, Raiders, Jurassic Park, etc. where two harp parts were reduced for a single player for their LTP editions.

Yes, I just checked, the conductor's score has just the one harp written for.

On 17/03/2022 at 12:11 AM, LSH said:

Yes, I just checked, the conductor's score has just the one harp written for.

Thank you for your answers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the Austin Symphony 22-23 brochure in the mail and they will be performing E.T. LTP on June 17th, 2023!  I've never seen E.T. with orchestra so it'll be a treat!  They're also performing a music of JW concert on February 25th, 2023, perfect timing to celebrate the Maestro's 91st!

22.jpg

That reminds me that they are doing Harry Potter 1 and Empire Strikes Back in Symphony Hall in May and June and I haven't seen either yet, so should probably go!

Ya think. Plus they are the top Two John Williams score of all time as rated by JWFAN. 

• 10 months later...

Reminder this will be in Austin, TX on June 17th...

https://my.austinsymphony.org/extraterrestrial

On a side note, my wife and I attended the Music of JW concert Saturday night and it was great!  They had an emcee come out on stage between pieces and gave tidbits of information on each work.  I enjoyed it more than my wife because it wasn't a true "greatest hits" concert filled with all the instantly-recognizable works.

Program:

Tribute to the Film Composer (arr. JW)

The Mission Theme

The Patriot

Memoirs of a Geisha: Sayuri's Theme

The Witches of Eastwick: Devi's Dance

E.T. :  Adventures on Earth

Intermission

Close Encounters:  Excerpts

Harry Potter: Diagon Alley

SW AOTC: Across the Stars

Jurassic Park: Theme

Imperial March (encore)

• 8 months later...

Is it really true that the first Live to Projection Concert was the world premiere of E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial': The 20th Anniversary at the Shrine in 2002?

According to John Williams it was Kathleen Kennedy's idea, see documentary called Live at the Shrine! John Williams and the World Premiere of 'E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial': The 20th Anniversary:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373098/

2 hours ago, E-Wan said:

Is it really true that the first Live to Projection Concert was the world premiere of E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial': The 20th Anniversary at the Shrine in 2002?

According to John Williams it was Kathleen Kennedy's idea, see documentary called Live at the Shrine! John Williams and the World Premiere of 'E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial': The 20th Anniversary:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373098/

It depends.  One can argue silent films like 1924's Thief of Baghdad with an orchestral score composed by Mortimer Wilson to accompany the screenings beats it.  But that was more like a ballet where the conductor was conducting the orchestral score to the film's scenes like they would where opera or ballet is accompanying the stage action.  If you mean of modern scores intended purely for the scoring stage and not concert hall, then I think you're right it would be E.T. at the Shrine in 2002.  That was a big deal then because it was kind of thought very difficult to pull off where now routinely done not only with major orchestras but by youth orchestras.  Also, it was a bit frowned upon by major orchestras where now it's considered a very effective community engagement/profiteering option.  You might enjoy this about orchestral scores that accompanied silent films: Restoring Original Orchestrations for Silent Film (nga.gov)

On 13/11/2023 at 1:49 AM, karelm said:

It depends.  One can argue silent films like 1924's Thief of Baghdad with an orchestral score composed by Mortimer Wilson to accompany the screenings beats it.  But that was more like a ballet where the conductor was conducting the orchestral score to the film's scenes like they would where opera or ballet is accompanying the stage action.  If you mean of modern scores intended purely for the scoring stage and not concert hall, then I think you're right it would be E.T. at the Shrine in 2002.  That was a big deal then because it was kind of thought very difficult to pull off where now routinely done not only with major orchestras but by youth orchestras.  Also, it was a bit frowned upon by major orchestras where now it's considered a very effective community engagement/profiteering option.  You might enjoy this about orchestral scores that accompanied silent films: Restoring Original Orchestrations for Silent Film (nga.gov)

Thank you very much for your reply. It is great to know that our beloved John Williams was at the beginning of the phenomenon which is so popular the last few years.