Which JW score has the best action music?

2 hours ago, loert423 said:

Everyone keeps yapping on about how Williams writes amazing themes and melodies, about how the awesome the Star Wars theme is, or Jurassic Park, E.T., Schindler's List, Harry Potter, blah blah blah...

But almost nobody talks about the action music, and I don't understand why. Is it because there's usually no discernable melody, so there's nothing to latch onto? Yet I find it so fun to listen to all the stabbing trumpets, aggresive tremolo strings, woodwind runs, timpani hits, and the sheer thrill of hearing elements like this in combination. What Williams' action music lacks in "song-like" content, it makes up for in thrill, energy, wit, and overall 'soundscape'. "The Falcon" is probably my most played track from the TFA score, because of this reason. Yet it's almost like these tracks go under the radar in public. :(

I once sent a friend "The Quidditch Match" because I wanted to see what he thought of it, and he said something like: "Meh, I don't feel anything when listening to it." I just couldn't understand it! I guess it comes down to difference in personal taste...

:(

I can't imagine not being interested in action music, but I do find that I gravitate toward action music that features both the obligatory complexity AND a healthy dose of melodic and harmonic accessibility. Williams' action music has shifted a bit more towards the former in recent years, which is why something like "The Falcon" (which I happen to be listening to right now) doesn't entertain me as much as something like, say, "The Asteroid Field", which is also very hectic and dense, but with better musical storytelling, IMO. "The Falcon" just kinda goes and goes and goes, moving from one chaotic passage to the next while neither creating a larger story arc nor grabbing my attention with some memorable motifs.

Just my opinion, of course. And I absolutely love "The Quidditch Match." :)

2 hours ago, Ricard said:

I find it even better than the main themes.

You know what?  Me too!

4 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

If they'd has kept "Follow Me"and "The Falcon" as one cue on the regular album, that would have been great 

TOTALLY agreed.  The one misstep of an otherwise finely assembled album program is breaking that sequence in half and putting Rey's Theme in the middle

22 hours ago, loert423 said:

Everyone keeps yapping on about how Williams writes amazing themes and melodies, about how the awesome the Star Wars theme is, or Jurassic Park, E.T., Schindler's List, Harry Potter, blah blah blah...

But almost nobody talks about the action music, and I don't understand why. Is it because there's usually no discernable melody, so there's nothing to latch onto? Yet I find it so fun to listen to all the stabbing trumpets, aggresive tremolo strings, woodwind runs, timpani hits, and the sheer thrill of hearing elements like this in combination. What Williams' action music lacks in "song-like" content, it makes up for in thrill, energy, wit, and overall 'soundscape'. "The Falcon" is probably my most played track from the TFA score, because of this reason. Yet it's almost like these tracks go under the radar in public. :(

I once sent a friend "The Quidditch Match" because I wanted to see what he thought of it, and he said something like: "Meh, I don't feel anything when listening to it." I just couldn't understand it! I guess it comes down to difference in personal taste...

:(

I love JWs action cues maybe better than his themes. His action cues are so musicallly and artistically well constructed that they're often much more interesting than the mein themes. There's so much going on regarding instrumentation, harmonization and counterpoint, it's AMAZING how much effort JW's seems to put in his action music.

To paraphrase Brahms: whatever material JW uses as action music and underscore, people like us use for contructing our main themes.

On 1-2-2016 at 9:11 PM, Jay said:

T-Rex Rescue & Finale might be my favorite action track of all time

I can rewind 2:42-3:49 all day long... The violin part from 2:42 onward is one of the most thrilling violin parts ever written in an orchestral score!!

Btw, this cue is influenced by Bartok's 'Miraculous Mandarin' score, for who's interested ;)

I don't quite know how to say this but TinTin has really fun, kinetic action music that is at once both musically interesting and completely forgettable. I like the fast pace, the light orchestration, the strings in particular, the kind of playful melodies and the sometimes super noisy percussion. It all makes for a fun listen but it leaves almost no lasting impression.  

6 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Hook cannot be omitted from such a discussion. That final battle features some truly incredible writing.

Also, welcome! :)

Thanks!

I am particularly fond (read: obsessed with) of this section from about 5:30 to 6:20: