For the first time ever, older albums outsold new ones last year

Jay

This is just the beginning!

The only thing that actually sold better in 2015 were vinyl albums. I should start considering a turntable, for when they start releasing expanded versions of Williams' scores in LP.

Everything returns!

People are buying less music now because its so easy to stream it.  Spotify is one of the best and most useful apps I've ever had

20 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

So what you're saying is, more people prefer the OST.

This isn't a thread about film music, its about popular music :P

1 hour ago, Jay said:

People are buying less music now because its so easy to stream it.  Spotify is one of the best and most useful apps I've ever had

True.  I listen to mostly Classical and there's so much of it available that I almost don't have a reason to bulk buy CDs like I used to.  I would go on purchasing binges.  Spotify has cured me of some of my materialistic urges.

43 minutes ago, Drax said:

Listening to downloaded music at the computer was a cool gimmick in 2000-'01, but I couldn't imagine doing it all the time like people seem to these days.

Computer, wha?  I listen to spotify at work; working out; cleaning; doing laundry; driving around; playing poker; washing dishes; making dinner; etc.  Get with the times man!

I'll never stop buying CDs.  You rip them once, put them on the shelf, then listen to digital files forever!

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He's just trolling again. Soon he will respond that he prefers listening to music on MiniDisc or cassete tape rather then via streaming.

Yawn...

I completely bypassed minidiscs because they were an exotic late-1990s tech that came and went, and my parents couldn't afford it.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Computer, wha?  I listen to spotify at work; working out; cleaning; doing laundry; driving around; playing poker; washing dishes; making dinner; etc.  Get with the times man!

I believe serious music listening should be reserved for when you're sitting on your lounge in front of your hi-fi, put your CD* in the player, press play and let it go from beginning to end.

The current music-on-the-go movement is too mind-boggling for me. Why distract yourself with other mundane tasks of your daily routine while the music is calling for your undivided attention? Is this the way people carry on at concert halls now, surfing the net, checking emails, playing with themselves?

*or LP if that's what you're into - I'm too scared to play them or else I'll wear them out.

1 minute ago, Drax said:

Is this the way people carry on at concert halls now, surfing the net, checking emails, playing with themselves?

Well, people are cheering whenever they recognize a melody, so you can't even listen to the music there.

• 4 weeks later...

Walking canes should make a come back. I'd really love to sport one while walking nonchalantly.

Or much better still, extensive use of white tie! And black tie, for the more informal ocassions.

2 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

Walking canes should make a come back. I'd really love to sport one while walking nonchalantly.

Or much better still, extensive use of white tie! And black tie, for the more informal ocassions.

Horse and carriage/coach should make a comeback. Arriving at the restaurant or any other event with your finery on in one of those would add a touch of class to the occasion.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Horse and carriage/coach should make a comeback. Arriving at the restaurant or any other event with your finery on in one of those would add a touch of class to the occasion.

I totally agree. Well, I've read White Tie still gets much love in Finland, is that correct?