Did John Williams ever play piano on his own scores?

Thor

I know he played piano on IMAGES, but I think that's the only one I know.

I'm talking about original soundtracks here, not later re-recordings on compilations etc.

Yes, he played piano in a few of his film scores, even though he never credited himself as soloist. He did the solos on the Schindler's List end credits, JFK, Sabrina and The Long Goodbye. He also recorded a piano reduction of the main theme on None But the Brave, even though the piece wasn't part of the film soundtrack (it's included on the FSM release, though). I seem to remember a Richard Dyer interview about Angela's Ashes where he said he played some parts in that one as well, but I need to check.

Thanks, Townerfan, this is all news to me  (except IMAGES). I know he's done plenty of piano recordings of his own themes, but I was always unsure if he also did this during film recordings.

There is a fantastic piano flourish in the "montage" cue from the ALCOA PREMIERE episode "Moment of Decision". I've always wondered if that is Williams himself.

The common thread seems to be piano solos; the most notable omission is ET's End Credits, but that was likely recorded as one take with the entire orchestra.

With general piano use in cues, he likely prefers being on the podium.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Thanks, Townerfan, this is all news to me  (except IMAGES). I know he's done plenty of piano recordings of his own themes, but I was always unsure if he also did this during film recordings.

I found the quote of the Boston Globe article about Angela's Ashes:

The film opens with a solo piano line. On the album, Randy Kerber is credited for the playing, which is sensitive throughout, but some of the sensitivity comes from Williams. "I did some of the playing myself - that was my little effort for this thing. I started off the picture with the piano by itself, playing a single line - I thought the simplicity, the directness of the voice, would be useful and good."

And here's the Schindler's List quote, again from a Richard Dyer interview from Boston Globe:

[The theme] is heard at infrequent intervals throughout the film, until near the end; the last time we hear it, it comes on the piano, which is played with great sensitivity by Williams himself, though the credits don't say so.

About the solos in JFK and Sabrina, I seem to remember again quotes on some Boston Globe interviews, but I can't find them at the moment. It does make sense though, as I think Williams definitely has a recognizable playing style, imho (and this might me lead to believe he played also the solo at the end of Lincoln OST).

In a 1997 interview regarding the Academy Awards he claimed that he wasn't so much concerned with the many Oscars he's won as much as all those he's lost over the years to other composers.

Show me this interview!

Didn't he perform on his album with Jessye Norman, in the song cycle written by him? On Sabrina I thought Mike Lang played.

2 hours ago, MSM said:

Didn't he perform on his album with Jessye Norman, in the song cycle written by him? On Sabrina I thought Mike Lang played.

Yes, he did play on the Jessye Norman album, but that's not where his song cycle "Seven for Luck" is (performed by Kathleen Battle, not Jessye Norman). That has never been recorded, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Which is also why we haven't mentioned The Magnificent Seven... :whistle:

Or, like, a couple of dozen others between the late 50s and mid 60s.

So far from the thread, these seem to have Williams at the piano of his own score recordings:

IMAGES 

SCHINDLER'S LIST

JFK

SABRINA

THE LONG GOODBYE

ANGELA'S ASHES

I realize this information is terribly hard to come by in most cases.