LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens includes UNRELEASED music by Williams

Manakin Skywalker

This may look like just another Lego Star Wars game, but since it is only focusing on TFA, there's a small chance it could contain new music!!

Before you guys say "fake!" keep in mind that this was leaked from the YouTube ads, and also briefly appeared on the Xbox Live Marketplace before it was taken down after about 10 minutes.

I was about to post this. Actually, I'm surprised. EA has the license to publish Star Wars games, but TT is owned by WB now, isn't it?

LEGO Star Wars III used unreleased music in its cutscenes, and Lego Indy and Indy 2 also used unreleased music too, so I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Hopefully it does.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Someone please point out where this rendition of the Main Titles is from? It's not an alternate version from TFA is it?

I don't think it's actually from the game trailer. The uploader seems to have filmed recorded the video and dubbed the music over it. Probably just a concert version.

*Edit: Gistech is correct.

Well if the Indy Lego games set any precedent (probably irrelevant so many years later), they might build the game's soundtrack from the original recording sessions. Lego Temple of Doom had lots of material absent from the Concord box set.

I had ruled the possibility of this game out based on Disney's "Disney Infinity" project.  I'll wait for an official release for any new music, but I'm VERY excited to play this game!

I can't grab a YouTube link right now as I'm at work and the work wifi blocks YouTube but they have posted the trailer for the game which is a Lego parody of the first teaser... right down to using the trailer music. So it seems TT has access to the TFA recordings. Of course they might hire Gordy Haab again  to create new music. Or they might use OT stuff for the non-TFA levels.

well, i hope that the late release to avoid spoilers means that the game will be complete (no unfinished scenes like in ROTS...) and that the music will be at least from TFA (even if there is nothing unreleased...)

I dunno.  They hired Chad Seiter to write an original score for Lego Jurassic World.  They'd probably do the same for this one instead of scoring it all with TFA music.  Or maybe not... who knows!

but at least he will be able to drawn new music from Williams finished work, not just from Giacchino sketches in jurassic world (because the game was developed at the same time as the film...)

Anyway, they may hire William ross here... Seiter was chosen because he is from Giacchino's group...

15 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

well, i hope that the late release to avoid spoilers means that the game will be complete (no unfinished scenes like in ROTS...) and that the music will be at least from TFA (even if there is nothing unreleased...)

Me too!  They never finished LEGO The Hobbit with any material from BOFA.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I dunno.  They hired Chad Seiter to write an original score for Lego Jurassic World.  They'd probably do the same for this one instead of scoring it all with TFA music.  Or maybe not... who knows!

Chad Seiter's music in there is quite fitting for the Jurassic World levels.
The music from some other guy(?) in the JP 1-3 levels didn't do much of anything for me though.

It was generally inoffensive, but a far cry indeed from hearing Williams' music throughout.

Normally I would applaud them for having an original score rather than copy-pasting music.

But that worked SO WELL in the other games in the LEGO series and is actually one of the things I had been looking forward to.

So I cannot deny I was disappointed by that.

• 1 month later...

New trailer:

This game looks like a lot of fun.  Hopefully it includes unreleased Williams music.

Unlike with the older movies and the Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park lego games, it appears they are making full games for each episode this time.  No reason to wait.

They will probably make a new trilogy game after all the films have been released or make a pan-trilogy game with all films. But it wont be the individual games re-packaged, but an entire new game (Like indy trilogy and Indy 2 (all 4 movies) games)

I think...

Is the TFA game canon? With all that emphasis on 'know the backstory of character X'...

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

They will probably make a new trilogy game after all the films have been released or make a pan-trilogy game with all films. But it wont be the individual games re-packaged, but an entire new game (Like indy trilogy and Indy 2 (all 4 movies) games)

There's no chance that will happen.  Why would they do that?

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

Is the TFA game canon? With all that emphasis on 'know the backstory of character X'...

I doubt it.

I know.  I just don't see it happening for the sequel trilogy.

I wonder if they'll make a Rogue One game

I wonder if they'd ever release an ultimate Lego Star Wars game with the Original, Prequel and Sequel trilogies all in one.

Maybe some day.  The problem is that the first two Lego Star Wars games (prequels and OT) are pretty dated gameplay-wise compared to any of the LEGO games that have come out in the past 8 years.  The level design, gameplay, and camera movement are clunky (especially in the prequels game, which is the first one that came out in this model). Starting in 2008 with Indiana Jones v2, the games have had significant overworlds with tons of secrets and gameplay outside of the levels.  They redid all three old Indy movies in that release with all-new gameplay and levels, and it holds up today (Indy v1, not so much).

Starting with Indy 2, Harry Potter (Hogwarts castle), Batman 2, LOTR, Star Wars Clone Wars, Marvel Super Heroes, the Hobbit, etc - the games got much more fun.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't really know what the point of that would be.

At this point, the Lego versions of the original 6 Star Wars movies are not available on current-gen systems.  Previous gen versions are OOP now, and not available for paid download, at least on PS3 and Wii - can't speak for 360's marketplace or whatever they have.  It couldn't hurt to have a refresher.

21 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Maybe some day.  The problem is that the first two Lego Star Wars games (prequels and OT) are pretty dated gameplay-wise compared to any of the LEGO games that have come out in the past 8 years.  The level design, gameplay, and camera movement are clunky (especially in the prequels game, which is the first one that came out in this model). Starting in 2008 with Indiana Jones v2, the games have had significant overworlds with tons of secrets and gameplay outside of the levels.  They redid all three old Indy movies in that release with all-new gameplay and levels, and it holds up today (Indy v1, not so much).

Starting with Indy 2, Harry Potter (Hogwarts castle), Batman 2, LOTR, Star Wars Clone Wars, Marvel Super Heroes, the Hobbit, etc - the games got much more fun.

At this point, the Lego versions of the original 6 Star Wars movies are not available on current-gen systems.  Previous gen versions are OOP now, and not available for paid download, at least on PS3 and Wii - can't speak for 360's marketplace or whatever they have.  It couldn't hurt to have a refresher.

OK.  That makes more sense, then!

• 2 months later...

Okay, so I've watched some gameplay on YouTube and here's the deal (the game doesn't come out until later this month but IGN got exclusive gameplay first-looks):

- In the three scenes of gameplay I saw (amounting to about 19 minutes total), ALL of the music heard was Star Wars music by John Williams. I did not hear any music written specifically for the game. It was all excerpts from Williams' Star Wars scores.

- In two of the three scenes (the Jakku village attack and the rathtar chase) the music was from TFA. In each of these two scenes of gameplay, the music heard was from the score for the corresponding TFA film scene. In the other scene (Finn and Poe escape in TIE fighter), the music was from ANH (Battle of Yavin, I think). This was a bit bizarre -- I was expecting "I Can Fly Anything."

- I believe that NONE of the music heard was previously unreleased stuff. 

- Unfortunately (I don't know if this is how all games do their music) the way this game is scored for the most part is by taking a very short clips of Williams music (literally, just a few seconds long), having a few seconds with no music, then another very short bit, etc. And often there're certain bits that are repeated over and over again -- there's really not much variety. Basically, I never heard any complete cues in the gameplay. 

- Notably, what I saw consisted only of actual gameplay; there were NO loading screens, home screens, etc. It seems that if we want complete cues as opposed to just little bits and pieces, those loading/home screens are our best chance of finding it. And hopefully those cues are previously unreleased!

Here are the gameplay videos if you want to watch/hear for yourself. There's someone doing commentary so it's often very hard to hear the music:

Yeah, I watched those clips as well and they suggest that there will be no unreleased music in this. Less disappointing but still disappointing is how cut up the bits of Star Wars music is in the game. The part from The Attack on the Jakku Village is just a tiny snippet on endless repeat. But even the OST track has more music that would have been suitable in longer segments. Sad.

It seems that the game's late release date may not have worked in our favor. If the game is released around the same time as the film (even a couple months after) the film OST has probably not been assembled yet when they are adding music to the game, so the game makers are probably just handed the recording sessions. But perhaps due to this game being released half a year after the TFA film, when they were adding music to the game maybe they just got the OST to work from because that had already been assembled. This is just speculation, of course.

We shouldn't entirely lose hope, though. We've only seen three scenes, it's possible that others have previously unreleased stuff, or maybe the menus will have it. We can hope!