‘Star Wars in Concert’ to return in 2016 to a city near you (Cancelled)

Ricard

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/02/star-wars-in-concert-to-return-in-2016-to-a-city-near-you/

A couple of years ago in 2009-2010, Lucasfilm put on an amazing concert tour featuring the best music from the epic Star Wars saga. Performed by a live orchestra while clips from the films played on a screen, the performance was hosted by C-3PO actor Anthony Daniels who would also narrate the story of Star Wars between music pieces.

The official website for ‘Star Wars in Concert‘ has now been updated with information making it clear the concert will be making a return in 2016. The description on the official website reads:

Take part in an unforgettable concert experience with cutting-edge visual technology and sound design. The iconic music of John Williams will guide you through the legendary battle of light and dark and immerse you into the worlds, characters and story of Star Wars.

No dates or venues have been announced yet but you can now sign up for a newsletter that will make sure you receive the first word on when tickets will go on sale and other exclusive special offers. Also no word yet if this version of the concert series will feature music from the new Force Awakens movie.

It would be better if they performed this in halls, the orchestra doesn't work too well in the arenas when I saw this in (O2 Arena London, Sheffield Arena, MEN Arena Manchester). I will say though when I saw it at the O2 they mixed it in a way that sounded like the original soundtracks, really close mic'ed Brass etc... 

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

It only would be cool if they added three The Force Awakens suites into the programme.

Karol

I can't imagine that the Force Awakens won't feature in this new version. 

Star%2BWars%2BIn%2BConcert%2B2016.png

The Font of 'In Concert' is the Force Awakens font ;) 

They will very likely insert the Scherzo, the Resistance March and Rey's theme into the program, probably at the expense of something else.

I agree this would be much better in a proper concert hall, but the event as it's conceived isn't feasible for regular orchestra venues--huge LED screen, lightshow, a kind of celebrity host (Anthony Daniels aka C3PO) and a big display of ancillary items. They want to draw rock concert-like size of audiences, hence sport arenas are more likely.

However, a lot of orchestras around the world (including some major ones) are programming more regularly Star Wars-themed concerts, as they draw a lot of people who aren't exactly regular concert-goers.

If this comes around Philly then 2016 would have brought me a John Williams conducted benefit concert, performances of his violin and cello concerti, the latter starring Yo-Yo Ma, E.T. live to projection, and a massive Star Wars concert.

Not too shabby.

• 9 months later...

The 2016 concerts were cancelled and apparently they are no longer producing the 'Star Wars in Concert' shows (their website now redirects to the official SW site).

A number of Star Wars concerts are planned for next year to celebrate the 40th anniversary though :)

21 minutes ago, Ricard said:

The 2016 concerts were cancelled and apparently they are no longer producing the 'Star Wars in Concert' shows (their website now redirects to the official SW site).

:(

I hope they're falling into the trend of live-to-projection, rather than the weird Star Wars in Concert.  The venue I saw it in was not great, acoustically.  There were still dialogue and sound effects.  Overall, if you're going to go that route, I'd prefer the full score.

21 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I hope they're falling into the trend of live-to-projection, rather than the weird Star Wars in Concert.  The venue I saw it in was not great, acoustically.  There were still dialogue and sound effects.  Overall, if you're going to go that route, I'd prefer the full score.

Yeah it really is leaving piles of cash on the table to not do Star Wars live-to-projection concerts.  They would leave the other films that have gotten that treatment in the dust, in terms of popularity.

I, for one, loved the Star Wars in Concert tour and found the presentation fantastic. I guess I don't feel the need to be a snooty snob about "perfect" accoustics and so fourth. The rock show presentation was great. A full live to projection would be fantastic as well however if you sit through 2 hours of A New Hope you don't get The Imperial March or Duel of the Fates. In my opinion there is a place for both types of concerts and judging by the crowds and plethora of videos on YouTube there are tons of people who very much enjoyed things on the first tour.

I'll hold out hope until there is an official cancellation from Lucasfilm. But then again Disney has already made a number of terrible decisions that hurt fans so I'' take my memories of the first tour and keep them close. Save for the idiots who tried to turn the encore into a ho-down. 

My ideal would be a concert hall setting, of the same material (or close) without any accompanying sound effects/dialogue.  The music sounded really crappy in the arena I saw it at.  I saw Fellowship of the Ring live to projection, and honestly that wasn't for me either (and that's likely my all-time favorite movie AND score).  To me, a concert is all about the music - the other stuff is just too much of a distraction.

On 12/5/2016 at 2:06 PM, mstrox said:

My ideal would be a concert hall setting, of the same material (or close) without any accompanying sound effects/dialogue.  The music sounded really crappy in the arena I saw it at.  I saw Fellowship of the Ring live to projection, and honestly that wasn't for me either (and that's likely my all-time favorite movie AND score).  To me, a concert is all about the music - the other stuff is just too much of a distraction.

It can be a distraction, but often it puts the music in its proper context, remarkably enhancing the effect, at least at LTP concerts. Of course, if they're just montages of film highlights I'd rather the music be the only sound, of course.

Star Wars Oxygen talked about this.

David W. Collins says he's heard from multiple sources that it's not happening. "There was a bit of jumping the gun there, maybe some wishful thinking."