Battle of the Heroic Marches

Tom

Flag Parade vs March of the Resistance   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Using the concert version of the Flag Parade, which do you prefer?

• Flag Parade
    • March of the Resistance

Two SW marches in a similar vein.  Heroic but focused more on determination than optimism. 

For my part, I love both, but I have always loved the celebratory, yet menacing vibe to the Flag Parade. 

They really arent similar at all IMO.

The Flag Parade is a Rozsa' like Roman epic "celebratory" march. While March Of The Resistance is a far more grim WWII- movie style Ron Goodwin type affair.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Flag Parade is a Rozsa' like Roman epic "celebratory" march. While March Of The Resistance is a far more grim WWII- movie style Ron Goodwin type affair.

Agreed. I voted for 'March of the Resistance' because I love its down and dirty, "in the trenches" feel.  That's a real war of attrition march.

I currently find March of Resistance to be more compelling.

but I am fond of the flag parade because when I first got the ep 1 soundtrack, flag parade is the one track that I played on loop non-stop continuously.

I feel like they are too different to judge in comparison with each other. The Flag Parade has a sporting quality to it and it's much lighter in fitting with the general texture of TPM. The Resistance March is another beast entirely. On the other hand. some SW themes seem to invite comparison like Leia's theme, Han and Leia's theme, and Luke and Leia's theme. 

I voted for MotR before listening to both again. I think I might have voted for Flag Parade instead if I had listened to them afresh.

Pardon my not having instant recollection of the Flag Parade as I am not as thoroughly familiar with TPM score as I should be. But damn that's a great piece of music. Simply musically speaking, flag parade is the superior piece. Just so much pomp and grandeur, you can literally picture an enormous arena with tens of thousands of flags or people marching in a procession. MotR gives more the feel of a covert military operation.

Oh, I definitely prefer the Flag Parade cue. Just love the chromaticism there - lends the piece some ambiguity not unusual for Williams. And of course, you have characteristics such as the usual celebratory planing major chords and woodwind runs and trills that define most of the Prequel Trilogy's fanfare type underscore. The Resistance march cue is a bit too over the top for me to enjoy it as much as I enjoy the other, but that might have more to do with the dynamic compression on the OST. I like the more classy statement upon the heroes' arrival at the Resistance base, though, and I like the various playful high woodwind statements sprinkled throughout the score.

I’ve listened to both just now and voted for MotR because I prefer the more militaristic tone it represents. And as I see others share this view too :)

But honestly, I love them both, Flag Parade is still one of my favourites, I love all kinds of fanfares and marches, loved them since I was a little boy.

So it was a close call :)

On 4/2/2016 at 3:00 PM, Stefancos said:

Totally agree here, March of the Resistance is not an heroic march as the Flag Parade is, having both pieces basically different character and purpose.. I greatly enjoy both marches, and really coudn't pick one of them over the other. Interesting poll anyways!