Williams interview on Classical KUSC (February 11)

TownerFan

Jim's interviews Williams better than most.  It should be a good time.  Most we will already know, but there will be a few bits that are brand new.  I wonder if Williams will address his involvement in episode 8.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Jim's interviews Williams better than most.  It should be a good time.  Most we will already know, but there will be a few bits that are brand new.  I wonder if Williams will address his involvement in episode 8.

I think we can expect something interesting as Svedja usually has great rapport with Williams and JW is usually quite forthcoming with more in-depth answers than in your usual PR interview.

Svjeda: "Are you returning for Episode VIII?"

Williams: "Well Jim, I must confess, the higher-ups want the LSO back after reading several complaints about the Los Angeles freelance orchestra in a YouChew comments section."

I'm terrible at time conversions. So what time would this be in Norway?

[Edit: Nevermind. I used an online time converter. Seems like this is 6 in the morning tomorrow. Oh well. Hope it gets uploaded afterwards].

John Williams will be on at 12:AM EST tonight here on the East Coast of the United States. I'll probably listen live, I never even heard of KUSC before. 

30 minutes ago, CapitalJ said:

John Williams will be on at 12:AM EST tonight here on the East Coast of the United States. I'll probably listen live, I never even heard of KUSC before. 

Its the Los Angeles classical fm radio station. 

5 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

JW is on right now! 

Yeah I'm listening now too, they're talking about The Force Awakens  and actually playing some stuff from the soundtrack, this is great!

I liked the moment when JW said that while scoring the action sequences, he often asks himself if he's overwriting.  That might account for his slightly more streamlined approach to TFA.   Referring to the 3 hours of score, he said that they're limited to the amount of music they can put on one CD, but that they just might have to release some more :) 

17 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The interview is over now. It was very pleasant but they didn't really discuss the music in depth. I wish Jim had asked JW more questions about the music itself.

Agreed.  Although it was a much longer program this year, music wise (close to 2 hours). He practically played the entire album.  The last few times JW has been on for Oscar season it's been much shorter.  No word on Ep VIII.  

On 2/12/2016 at 7:47 PM, karelm said:

I recorded it so if they don't post it next week, I'll upload it somewhere.

Let's assume the week is over. Please upload it somewhere, sir! Don't let the unfortunate ones, that couldn't hear it live, suffer anymore. Ease the pain!

1 hour ago, zaddini said:

Let's assume the week is over. Please upload it somewhere, sir! Don't let the unfortunate ones, that couldn't hear it live, suffer anymore. Ease the pain!

Look man, pain leads to fear.  Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.  Suffering leads to pain and something dark side something.  OK I'll upload it tomorrow.

47 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Is this not against MB rules?

What are you, the thread police?   And this is a program broadcast on public radio for non-commercial use.  According to rules for public radio, "You do not need a license to use material for non-commercial,  personal use."

I really don't understand why they didn't talk more about the music itself. Such a shame. They played almost the entire album but barely discussed it. In contrast the interview for Book Thief was super detailed! Of all the scores to talk about...

I was hoping for more insights about the music as well. Just simple requests like "Tell me about the Jedi Steps music?" etc

And it should be illegal to interview John WIlliams without asking him about Episode 8.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Stefan, for the final time: let the mods do the moderating. I've asked you repeatedly to stop this. Next time, I'm suspending you.

I just wrote you a PM. 

Since I have broken no rule that I am aware of I do not appreciate being threatened.

Be a Moderator and uphold those rules. Do not threaten to ban me because you don't personally like something I'm doing.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I just wrote you a PM. 

Since I have broken no rule that I am aware of I do not appreciate being threatened.

You've been claiming that for a few years now though. Yet you keep posting. Perhaps the problem is you rather than the moderation? 

Thanks karelm, for uploading this interview. Really appreciate that!

That being said, I was rather disappointed with the interview itself. You have no IDEA how frustrating it is to see/hear these Williams interviews over the last, say, 10-15, years which NEVER go into uncharted territory. It's such a wasted opportunity, IMO. I know we should be grateful with what we get (just to hear him talk), but my standards are getting higher for every year he gets older and this opportunity remains unexplored.

Oh, well....