Stepmom: Is it Worth It?

Every time I go to the music store, there is alway a copy of Stepmom. Right now, I pick up Jw cds that I really want, and sometime ones that are a few years old for fear of them going OOP (and than the only place I can get them is at ebay, which I'm not allowed to use). Anyway, I know I've heard alot of different feedback about it; some people think it's Jw's worst, and some like it alot. I just want your opinions about it, all in this thread; do you like Stepmom, and is it worth buying?

-Jason

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...I can say this...the theme's good! I've seen the movie and I think most of the music was pretty decent, in a Stanley and Iris kind of way. It's just the theme with some melodic underscore and that's it.

If you had to choose between Stepmom and something like ET go with E.T. but the theme is nice and heck it's John Williams!

Pick it up if it's for a good price. :music:

Justin -Who just has lousy CD-R of Stepmom but likes the score none the less. :)

Is it worth buying?

Impossible to answer. Depends highly on YOUR personal taste.

All I can say is that Stepmom is one of Williams' most overlooked scores. To me; it's much more attractive and rich than his other 'quiet' scores like Stanley And Iris or The Accidental Tourist.

There is at least one amazing, somewhat hidden gem on the album called Taking Pictures. It supports one of the latter (and more emotional) scenes in the film and it's really, really great. The stuff you'd expect from Ennio Morricone or Nicola Piovani.

The final track, the End Credits (which is actually a re-arrangement of the second track The Days Between - or the other way around?) is worth the price of the CD alone. Really.

BUT - like I stated in the opening of this reply, it really depends on your personal taste. Perhaps you're not into this kind of scoring at all. Avoid it then.

But you already know that The Imperial March won't be on this album?

Bye,

Roald

Why not see the movie to get the feel for the music? It's a nice low key score that doesn't overbear the film with more sentimental stuff than it needs. It has some of that nice holiday-like quality of Home Alone, and Christopher Parkening's guitar gives it a nice touch, particularly for the aforementioned "The Days Between."

(My review of the album can be found in the February 1999 issue of FSM.)

I actually like that score a lot! It's gentle in a Satie sort of way and has a great theme that sounds part impressionistic french and part John Williams. I mean, it IS John Williams but you know what I mean, it's quieter than most things he composes. To me I would say YES! A good score. I have no idea why some people would call it his worst. I can think of so many other scores that could take that honor.

ocelot

By all means, get it. Is is worth having, of course its John Williams.

Joe, who would say that even if it were Hook.

I've only ever been disappointed by a Williams-score twice. One of those disappointments was Stepmom (the other being Earthquake). I wouldn't buy it and I certainly think other quiet scores of his like Always or Stanley and Iris are far superior. But in the end it's just up to you.

Joe, who would say that even if it were Hook.

:mrgreen:

Justin -Who thinks Joe might be slowly turning from the dark side. :music:

Don't get your hopes up. I am not in anyway finding any value in Hook other than as a completist.

And believe me I am not a true completist. I am a completist for John Williams and Steven Spielberg films.

Joe.

Stepmom?.Big disappointment for me,and I do like some of the quieter Williams scores,like Stanley and Iris and even Always.IMO if you a collector get it eventually,but if you have limited cash and other more notable Williams c.d's to buy,get something else.

K.M.Who listened to the album twice,the second time incompletely.

If there is one John Williams score that bored and disappointed me the most, then it would be Stepmom. I do NOT see the appeal in those supposedly special guitar solos, and the film was so boring that for the first time ever, I stopped watching a film mid-way that had a Williams score.

I like the acoustic guitar work in Jane Eyre much better (That IS a guitar in "Trio-The Meeting" isn't it? It's beautiful). (And the elactric guitar in The Eiger Sanction, and AOTC are better to me as well! LOL).

Just look at the cover, too! I was embarrased to buy it so I had my mom buy it for me for my birthday! How wussy looking! I think Steef STILL hasn't bought it for the cover alone, correct? LOL

Now, this DOESN'T mean that I am sugegsting that you not buy it. If you are a Williams completist like I am... then get it before it goes OOP. Ebay usually finds the lesser known and not as popular Williams CDs cheap though, even if they are OOP.

I know that some of you LOVE Stepmom, hence I am coming down so harsh on it. I am GLAD that some of you love it because I don't, and it's good that Williams didn't miss the mark with everybody. I like it when a score that I don't care for is liked/loved by somebody else.

But JoeJoeJoeJoeJoe... :roll: Dammitawltohell Joe!!! Give me your address! I will see about sending you the COMPLETE Hook score JUST to shut you up about it!!!! AAARRGH! :evil: :twisted: :mrgreen:

-Chris, Who can understand that some do and some don't like Stepmom, but cannot fathom how Joe does not like Hook's score (I'd understand disliking the movie, but the score??? Oh well... At least Hook doesn't have O.J. Simpson in it! :music: ).

I do NOT see the appeal in those supposedly special guitar solos.

I agree,but Alan or Roald (I forget ),thinks The Days Between cue is one of Williams all time best music.To me that cue is just what it's name implies,it seems to drag on for days. LOL

K.M.Who hates all Julia Roberts movies appears in.

quote]

I agree,but Alan or Roald (I forget ),thinks The Days Between cue is one of Williams all time best music.To me that cue is just what it's name implies,it seems to drag on for days. LOL

Like I said... I'm glad that others liked it because I thought Williams really did lose it with that score. Then we got gems like TPM, A.I., Potter, and AOTC! :music:

-Chris

Like I said... I'm glad that others liked it because I thought Williams really did lose it with that score. Then we got gems like TPM, A.I., Potter, and AOTC! :music:

-Chris

And The Patriot.

K.M.

And The Patriot.

K.M.

That too. But leave off Angela's Ashes. :music:

-Chris, Who didn't like that one either, but still haven't seen the film so maybe that opinion will change... unlike Stepmom... :mrgreen:

All I can say is that Stepmom is one of Williams' most overlooked scores. To me; it's much more attractive and rich than his other 'quiet' scores like Stanley And Iris or The Accidental Tourist.

The quote says it all. I completely agree with Roald here.

Just remember it's a slow, broody and dark score, but absolutely

worth listening to. It actually grows every time you listen to it.

Buy it - definately buy it.

World Cup: Uruguay - Denmark 1:2. Yippikayeah....... :jump:

World Cup: Uruguay - Denmark 1:2.  Yippikayeah....... :jump:

OT:

That remembers me that I still have not chosen a country which I will support, since the Dutch are not present :(:(:(

I guess I pick South Korea, since they have a Dutch trainer: Guus Hiddink.

That too. But leave off Angela's Ashes. :music:

-Chris, Who didn't like that one either, but still haven't seen the film so maybe that opinion will change... unlike Stepmom... :thumbup:

You won't.

to me AA has only one really standout cue,and one of his best too...Back To America,but the thematic material has nothing to do with the rest of the score,just like the best cue in Seven Years in Tibet,Regaining a Son,has nothing to do with the rest of the score.

K.M.

I got it for free. The price was right.

Figo, whose head starts to hurt whenever K.M. and C.C. post back to back.

One of you guys has to change your avatar!

Figo, whose head starts to hurt whenever K.M. and C.C. post back to back.

One of you guys has to change your avatar!

The Presence of the dark forces of the Phantom Zone Trio is strong in this thread.Now we need a reply from stefancos and this thread will oose with evilness 8O

K.M.Who thinks Crusher's original avatar without the girl was much better and closer to mine(he sent me a preview)

The Presence of the dark forces of the Phantom Zone Trio is strong in this thread.Now we need a reply from stefancos and this thread will oose with evilness  

8O

Agreed. 8O

K.M.Who thinks Crusher's original avatar without the girl was much better and closer to mine(he sent me a preview)

Awww... but Massy liked it. Maybe I'll change it, since she doesn't have the time to visit this board, nor is she a Williams fanatic (athough she loves what she heard from him... and she's even reading Harry Potter, LOL).

-Chris, Who reminds his girlfriend of an old Harry Potter except for the blue eyes... Noooo!!! :(

I never said I think The Days Between is *one of Williams all time best*. Thanks king mark.

Bye,

Roald

I think he was just generalizing, Roald. He wasn't trying to demean you or anything. :mrgreen:

Some people do think that track is one of his best works, and I'm glad they do because I think quite the opposite on the matter. :devil:

I never said I think The Days Between is *one of Williams all time best*. Thanks king mark.

Bye,

Roald

Well,i said you OR Hlao-roo,I didn't remember,so I guess it narrows it down to Alan. :mrgreen:

K.M.

• 1 year later...

Check this old fossil out!!! I was just searching for something in posts from the past and stumbled across this one. I've been toying with the idea of buying Stepmom for some years now and I'm slowly but surely doing my research and working my way up towards actually making a decision. One of the things I really do have to do is see the bloody film first! Anyway I have a few questions which can hopefully be answered:

1. At David Vincent's website, the total running time for the 15 track CD is 57:05. Over at Tracksounds they claim the CD length is 65:50!!! Check it out here:

http://www.tracksounds.com/reviews/stepmom.htm

As you can see, all the tracks are the same but a lot of them have vastly extending running times. Is this just an error on either Tracksounds or David's part or is there actually more than one version of this score available?

2. Other than a nine second difference, are "The Days Between" and "End Credits" basically the same track or are they actually distinct e.g. separate performances, different orchestration etc?

Thanks guys :).

CYPHER

Always and Always runs 19:05 instead of 3:41?

Isabel's Horse and Buggy runs 8:08 instead of 1:28?

Seems to me somebody is stealing someone's wrongly track lists. :oops:

----------------

Alex Cremers