BloodBoal

Alexander Nevsky (Sergei Prokofiev)

Whoops, didn't realise Max Steiner's King Kong was older.

But in about 20 minutes it will be this:

Can't beat that!

The Pink Panther for me probably

Of course, I've heard TRACKS from older scores on compilations, etc but that I think is the oldest entire album for one film I've heard

The oldest one I own in Jerry's City of Fear from 1959, but I haven't listened to it yet

Jay, you haven't even heard the full album of The Ten Commandments??

You should also check out the Stromberg recordings of The Sea Hawk and The Adventures of Robin Hood, like immediately!

I think Gottfried Huppertz's Metropolis (1927) is the oldest one I own and have listened to apart from the film.

Older than that, I've heard Huppertz's Die Nibelungen (1924) and Wolfgang Zeller's The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) just through watching the movies.

Some of you guys speak about early films as if there was no music before Hollywood. Yet there is SO much great silent film music out there, especially from the 20s.

Like Mr. Bellamy, I believe Huppertz' METROPOLIS (1927) is probably the earliest one I've listened to the most.

I've been wanting to check out Breil's THE BIRTH OF A NATION (1915) for some time, but never got around to it. Is it even available in a decent rerecording?

I believe Saint-Saëns' L'ASSASINAT DU DUC DE GUISE (1908) -- widely considered to be the first original film score -- has never been recorded in any format?

52 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think Gottfried Huppert'z Metropolis (1927) is the oldest one I own and have listened to apart from the film.

Same here, although if we want to count Ezra Read's possible score for La Voyage dans La Lune, then it's that.

10 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Same here, although if we want to count Ezra Read's possible score for La Voyage dans La Lune, then it's that.

I don't think one has confirmed any original score for that film yet?

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Varese re-recording of Sea Hawk is also worth investigating and so is the Moscow Symphony Orchestra double disc featuring the complete score.

About re-recordings, surely on these two ones:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « kunzel rozsa ben0hur »

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « kunzel vintage cinema »

For an entire score, it's John Williams of course:

1961 (TV)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams checkmate »

1967 (Movie)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams fitzwilly »

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That feels surprisingly modern compared to other scores from that period. Or at least it doesn't really feel like film music from that period very much.

His use of bass woodwinds was quite unusual at the time. Heck, I bet it would even work with modern audiences.

Yes, I'm fine. Thank you, Thufir..er, Stefan. :)

It's not modern audiences I'm railing against, it's the arrogance of the studios that think they can put out any old crap, and expect it to sell, which, of course, it does. So many films, these days are empty, violent pieces of PG-13 junk, that appeal to 11-18 year-olds, with absolutely no idea of what a truly great film is. They are being brainwashed into believing that these piles of crap are actually good, when, in reality, they are an insidious, creeping evil. 

Sometimes I give, sometime I take. It is mine to which and when!

(sigh) I despair in seeing the young of this world being force-fed this diet of mindless violence, and destruction. They are all so angry, and the children watching them, are angry. I know this from first-hand experience. These films are aberrations, which need to be challenged, otherwise we are going to have an entire generation of children (if we don't already) that grow up believing that the only to solve problems, is to blow stuff up, and fuck the consequences. 

Richard, we oldies are merely Windows 98 powered by Pentium IV while the new generation is Windows 10, turbo injected by i7. They look upon us with compassion.

They look upon us with contempt, and make no mistake. We are cassette players, in a streaming world - obsolete.

They think they are gods, but

#they're only immortal,

for a limited time#.

Fortunately, the children that I have helped, all have the same issue: relationships, ie lack of. It doesn't take much to relate to a child, if you know how.

It pains me to see their minds, and hearts being poisoned, like this.