Brad Fiedel's The Terminator - new Milan Records edition coming April 8th

Jay

Dear all,

Yes The Terminator reissue will come out on CD and digital on the same day. 

CD will have a similar presentation to Robocop with a simple digipack. 

But the musical content will be the same as the vinyl. Brad Fiedel spent a lot of time working on this presentation. He went back to the original material to rebuild an album he feels would be a strong listening experience. 

I hope you will enjoy it

best

JC

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=113843&forumID=1&archive=0

Here's the vinyl announcement:

The soundtrack to James Cameron's iconic 1984 action/sci-fi hit The Terminator has long been out-of-print. On April 8, Milan Records will release the remastered reissue of Brad Fiedel's score as part of the Nicolas Winding Refn Presents series. Listen to the main title theme above.

The soundtrack was remastered from the original tapes and sequenced for the first time in the order Fiedel originally intended. It's a double LP on 180-gram red/blue splattered vinyl. Find some packaging shots below.

"I am very happy that I had the opportunity to be involved in this release of The Terminatorscore," Fiedel said in a statement. "It's exciting to finally put out a version of the soundtrack that is in sync with my original vision of how the score should sound.”

The Terminator OST:

01 Main Title
02 Terminator Arrival / Reese Chased / Sarah on Motorbike
03 Terminator Gets Guns / Search for Sarah
04 Reese Dreams of Future War
05 Sarah Watches News / Enters Tech Noir
06 Matt & Ginger Killed / Sarah Calls Detectives
07 Reese & Sarah in Garage
08 Arm & Eye Surgery
09 “I’ll Be Back” / Police Station & Escape
10 Future Flashback
11 “Fuck You Asshole”
12 Love Scene
13 Tunnel Chase
14 Death By Fire / Terminator Gets Up
15 Factory Chase
16 End Credits: Final Suite
17 The Terminator Theme (Extended Version)

0101010101010101TermArt1.JPG?wmode=trans

002020220201010101TermArt3.JPG?wmode=tra

003030303030303030TermArt2.JPG?wmode=tra

http://pitchfork.com/news/63451-the-terminator-soundtrack-getting-vinyl-reissue/

Wow! So this must be the long-awaited release that Fiedel was teasing about on Facebook since 2014. Raises my hopes a little that something can be done with T2's situation...

But this reissue, while presumably introducing new cues, appears to drop three cues from the "Definite Edition" assembly, no?

Cool. So between this, the original OST and the Definite Edition, we should have all the music, or pretty much near all.

So the music is properly mixed this time, it seems.

BTW, the link leads to the Goldsmith Alien post. Here's the real one: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=113843&forumID=1&archive=0

And here's the Main Title:

Oh, I hope this new mix doesn't match the new one in the Terminator Bluray where the music was revised eliminating in the mix certain motifs that you could clearly listen in the original mono audio.

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

Unfortunately, that version of the main titles seems to drop the "knife-scraping" sound from the mono mix of the film

I'm not sure if that one is considered part of the music, but I've read that that sound was mixed in the dialogue track, that's why it's never in the music tracks. (as it wasn't in the 5.1 mix of the film because they had silenced the dialogue track)

I was just going to say something along those lines - basically, how do we know the knife scraping sound wasn't an invention of the film's sound editors and Fiedel had nothing to do with it

Hmm, I guess I always associated that sound as part of the original score and not just post-production tinkering. Here is the excerpt from the 2014 interview with Van Ling conducted by The Digital Bits:

Coate: Which sound mix of the film do you prefer: the original mono or the multichannel remix?

Ling: A tough question, but I think I lean towards the mono just because it was the original. I was the producer of the initial remix done by the great Gary Rydstrom back in 2000, and while I think he did an excellent job, there is something monolithic yet raw about the original mono mix that fits the film. Also, we found out later that there was a glaring omission in the remix, which was the metallic sounds—almost like that of a sword being drawn from a scabbard—of the letters in the title sliding past each other in the main titles. It turned out that the reason they were missing in the remix was that they were not on either the sound effects or the music masters for the film… they were on the dialogue stems for some reason. And those stems had been muted during the remix since there was no dialogue during the main titles! Lame explanation, but true. 

Lots of material was left off. The music for the arrivals of both Terminators. And basically all of the material between the main titles and "Sarah On The Run".

I still hold out hope that the production team behind the 2003 Extreme DVD has copies of the complete score; how else could snippets of unreleased music appear all over the menus?

I heard a little differently. Apparently Fiedel does have the original stems but didn't trust Silva to do the expansion as he thought they were a small label. If this sells well enough, perhaps he can be persuaded to do Terminator 2 as well.

• 5 years later...

Today I am listening to my old "Definite Edition" from Cinerama records, and was reminded about this Milan edition I never picked up.

What does JWFan think of this Milan version?

Does there exist anywhere a comprehensive listing of what's unique to each of the 3 releases, and the film?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Today I am listening to my old "Definite Edition" from Cinerama records, and was reminded about this Milan edition I never picked up.

What does JWFan think of this Milan version?

Does there exist anywhere a comprehensive listing of what's unique to each of the 3 releases, and the film?

None of the three releases are complete, but the Milan release is the closest to the film mix. I tried to put together a Google doc comparing cues across all of the releases, but at some point I lost interest in covering the whole film; you can find it here. I'm a bigger fan of the second film's score

Thanks for that!

It seems I gotta grab this Milan version; Looks like its OOP now though :(

From what I gather, the Milan release was mixed as Brad Fiedel intended it to be. It's a pity it's not complete, but it definitely sounds better in several places over the Definite Edition version. Also, the tracks are rendered in stereo, whereas some of the tracks in the Definite Version were in mono (such as the Main Titles)