Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

Well, for the first time I'm a bit disappointed by a concert or cineconcert. I mean, it was cool. The live choir was nice to have. I don't no if it was due to the numbers of player (80) or the room or if it was the orchestra (freelance, young orchestra or lack of rehearsals) or the mics but it felt like some parts were weaker than others. And the whole performance lacked oomph especially when some parts were playing alone. Sometime brass or trombones or viola/violin seemed weak/weird. And overall the sound was unusually not that loud. I really was listening the orchestra (some parts) thanks to the speaker despite being close enough to the orchestra. The overall thing was nice though with some highlights. Percussions and drums were beyond cool during the chess scene. And the end credit was really nice but again lacked something… It did not come near close to the LOTR (I know, it's a different score, and a different orchestra, different room, etc) performance, or any other concert/cineconcert I ever attended. 

Nice thing, JW video interviews before the begining of the show. 

I don't know if i'll go see COS. At least I won't pay 120€ if the set up stays the same :)

EDIT : Take into consideration that I consider myself an untrained ear, so it's possible it was just me having a problem with this particular concert. Also, il might very well be because it's a more subtle score than everything I ever heard live (LOTR, Star wars, John williams tribute concert (with mostly great theme or hits, zimmer…) and I'm not used to that in live performances. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well apparently there are enough Harry Potter and John Williams fans in my hometown to sell out two consecutive nights of this HPPS live projection event. I am glad I got my tickets in time. :) 

Hopefully this bodes well for further similar events in Finland.

This will be done in Portugal in May. I'm not convinced by the concept... I like to go to a concert, to hear the music, could do without the actual film. Even more a Potter one... So I'm wondering if I'll buy tickets for this one and drive some 300 km to attend the show.

I'm not convinced too.

I would be afraid that the orchestra makes a mistake, then to look only to find synch problems.

You guys are nuts - these concerts are super fun.  You get to watch a movie you already like with an audience full of people who also like it, and laugh and cheer along with everyone.  On top, you get to watch an orchestra play actual film cues you'll never otherwise hear in a concert.  Generally at these concerts, the film's dialogue and sound effects is mixed lower than usual, so you can really hear the music well.  They are a very worthwhile endeavor, IMO!

(That being said, I haven't see Harry Potter specifically live, nor do I like that film as much as many others I have seen Live to Projection - LOTR, ET, Raiders, Home Alone, etc)

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm not convinced too.

I would be afraid that the orchestra makes a mistake, then to look only to find synch problems.

Depends on your level of OCD and seat position ;) I fell victim to this during Jurassic Park, was watching the streamers on the conductor's monitor a lot of the time, which he wasn't completely in sync with often... which mostly wasn't much of a deal music-wise, I just couldn't take my eyes off them... hypnotic things...

Performance was great, though. I'd say it's really worth it going to these concerts, as long as they are in a decent hall with good acoustics.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

You guys are nuts - these concerts are super fun.  You get to watch a movie you already like with an audience full of people who also like it, and laugh and cheer along with everyone.  On top, you get to watch an orchestra play actual film cues you'll never otherwise hear in a concert.  Generally at these concerts, the film's dialogue and sound effects is mixed lower than usual, so you can really hear the music well.  They are a very worthwhile endeavor, IMO!

(That being said, I haven't see Harry Potter specifically live, nor do I like that film as much as many others I have seen Live to Projection - LOTR, ET, Raiders, Home Alone, etc)

1. I don't like Harry Potter;

2. I don't like to cheer at the film theatre, and at concerts, just clap or bravo or whatever after the conductor rests his harms;

3. I want to watch and hear the orchestra (playing the film cues or otherwise), not the film.

I just attended a concert with the orchestra playing this, and they are a nice ensemble, but just 70-musicians strong -- not sure if that is enough for the first Potter score. Of course they can get extras if needed. I understand that for this, the rest of the audio is mixed at a lower level, but even then, the film is a distraction.

I went to Star Wars in Concert (not the same thing, I know), but even then, could have done without the video projection. Also, they will be playing this on a large arena, which doesn't seems the right choice to hear an orchestra.

Also, there are just a very few films I wouldn't mind watching again at a theatre and Potter just isn't among them... then I'm pretty sure there are all of those there in cosplay, which is yet another thing that annoys me to death.

Jaws, ET, Raiders, I would be there in a heartbeat... Potter, I'll might go, out of the fear the fashion of films with live orchestra doesn't stay around here.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think that it is completely appropriate that different types of concerts call for different standards of decorum.

I honestly don't know if I can call that a real concert... I wonder how many will actually go there for the music.

@Miguel Andrade

You're right, most people aren't there for the music. I'm annoyed too when I show up and people are cheering when the intermission starts even though the music is still finishing, etc. 

But I still love these things. I've been to Home Alone, Raiders, and E.T., and all were incredible experiences. 

The film doesn't detract from the music. It enhances it. I'm sure hearing Adventures on Earth performed in concert would be cool, but in sync with picture it's extraordinary. I have chills through large portions of these things, and my heart is constantly thumping as I wait for the next big cue to begin. 

It also, as others have said, simply gives you the chance to hear smaller cues performed. And, sometimes, newly arranged first half closers and entr'actes. 

Obviously, though, your travel would be a major consideration. Can't offer any input on that. :P

I get a much bigger kick by listening to the music alone. I really don't need the visuals, even though my formation is in the visual arts.

Granted, this will be the only way to hear the full score, and I guess I wouldn't be having second thoughts if this was E.T. or Raiders of the Lost Ark. But I really don't care about Potter. As this will be on a Saturday, I will probably have to take my kids with me (they stay with me every weekend, despite of what the divorce agreement says), which make the whole thing more expensive... but again, I might go just in case this whole thing doesn't really caught up around here.

I was skeptical of the Live to Projection format too, dear Miguel. But after attending the Raiders Live concert last year in Luzern, I couldn't help but feeling gloriously excited. In that case at least, it was all about the music first, and film second. I don't know how Harry Potter works in that context, but the music is so upfront and center in that film that it's likely a chance not to be missed, imho.

On 1/29/2017 at 9:13 AM, bollemanneke said:

A completely off-topic question, but since we're discussing LTP concerts in general anyway, does the Home Alone concert have a live choir sing the church scenes?

IIRC, yes. 

• 4 weeks later...

There are still plenty of tickets for the gallery (standing) section at the Royal Albert Hall priced at £27, as well as the odd few tickets available for the other seated sections if you are lucky.

I have a friend who told me he's interested in going...so it looks possible now

Are these concerts mixed so you hear the music louder than the SFX and dialogue at least?

10 hours ago, king mark said:

I have a friend who told me he's interested in going...so it looks possible now

Are these concerts mixed so you hear the music louder than the SFX and dialogue at least?

Yes the sfx and dialogue are mixed lower and the music is done full justice, which is especially apparent with such a long and wall-to-wall score as HPPS. I attended just such a concert on Friday and it was glorious with the Oulu Symphony Orchesta playing full throttle for two hours. The music was quite thunderous at times and brilliantly performed.  So yes you as a big JW fan should go KM! 😊

P.S. Full report of the event to follow later.

12 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I attended just such a concert on Friday and it was glorious with the Oulu Symphony Orchesta playing full throttle for two hours. 

wait is it a different orchestra depending on the city?

Woah this is coming to Chicago this November!!!

http://cso.org/ticketsandevents/production-details-2017-18/cso-movies/harry-potter/?perfNo=8631

Surprisingly, there seems to be only one performance. I'll have to get tickets quickly. 

This could be the best LTP yet that I've seen/will see!

23 hours ago, king mark said:

this is playing in Montreal April 8-9...

debating to go but it's very expensive (50-160$)

Is Montreal symphony playing? If I was still in Montreal I would go for sure. 

It's some other orchestra I think, conducted by "Justin Freer"

http://placedesarts.com/shows/event.en.html?event.id=19257

My friend got tickets so I'm officially going to this

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Have you ever been to a concert?

I went to Star Wars in Concert , a MSO concert a few years ago that had film music with Adventures on Earth, and last fall some orchestra that had a Star Wars suite