Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is good. I haven't seen this film in years. Great performance but Williams overused Hedwig's theme. It's a terrific theme but there's too much of it in there.

Karol

Undeniably there is a lot of it especially at the beginning but the score slowly becomes more diverse. And by the frequent use of Hedwig's theme Johnny makes sure people remember the main theme after leaving the theater. ;) 

And yes Harry's musical material is lovely and very much captures those emotions you mention in a direct manner.

I went to the performance in the Royal Albert Hall on Friday and thought it was great.  I had not seen the film in years, nor had I listened to the score much recently, but both were much better than I had remembered.  It was brilliant to see and hear a proper choir of about thirty musicians on stage too for the several choral cues, something that was missing from the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park live in concert performances, magnificent as those were nonetheless.  The music for The Quidditch Match and The Chess Game were particular highlights to witness live.

The audience clearly loved the film too.  When Dumbledore was talking to Harry in his sick bed near the end of the film, the girl in the seat behind me (who must have been in her mid twenties) was proper crying, much to the amusement of her friend sitting next to her.  And when Dumbledore announced that he was awarding some extra points in view of the recent Voldemort-related events, someone shouted out, "It's a fix!"

Incidentally, tickets for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets at the Royal Albert Hall in April 2018 are now on sale and appear to be selling well, so I would not be at all surprised if extra performances were added:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

2 hours ago, Omen II said:

Incidentally, tickets for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets at the Royal Albert Hall in April 2018 are now on sale and appear to be selling well, so I would not be at all surprised if extra performances were added:

CoS will be getting 4 performances in Rotterdam rather than 3.

Am I missing something or was all of the pre-concert BTS footage from the original HP1 sessions all previously unseen? I've certainly never seen it before, particularly those shots of JW conducting at AIR with the choir up on the balcony?

Throwing this in here because I'm not sure if it warrants an individual thread.  

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-harry-potter-light-show-20170518-htmlstory.html

Williams created the light show’s original arrangement, which is a medley of music pulled from the films. It was conducted by William Ross, who adapted and conducted the score for “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.”

I imagine it'll be the straightforward arrangements Williams usually plays at concerts.  

30 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Seeing Philosopher's Stone tonight!

Have the best of time! :) 

Excuse me, I'm 10 years old again. 

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

They're selling the OST outside. Wouldn't it have been a brilliant idea to have the complete score available for purchase to coincide with these concerts?

10 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

They're selling the OST outside. Wouldn't it have been a brilliant idea to have the complete score available for purchase to coincide with these concerts?

Well yes. But of course such thing would never happen.

It was a great night though. Looking forward to Chamber of Secrets in December! (And presumably, Prisoner of Azkaban next May)

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone not attending wants to have a look at the program notes, I've done a scan of the UK program (presumably the same worldwide). A nice, but expensive, glossy accompaniment to the live concert experience.

Link for complete program notes:

https://mega.nz/#!xAhVXDZJ!_bir412vdjDjE3kyjJYk9hi8JkQFUrZO3nIT7lvpnnI

HP cover_001.jpg

It's how these shows always work.  They charged something like $15 for the big fancy program at the "Symphony of the Goddesses" Zelda music concert I went to last year.

To be clear, this isn't like a program they hand out at the door just to tell you what's in the concert.  It's a big glossy souvenir.  You'll also find them at every Broadway show.

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

They charged something like $15 for the big fancy program at the "Symphony of the Goddesses" Zelda music concert I went to last year.

They're actually giving them away for free on the symphony's website. But with something like $15 of shipping fees, so there is that...

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's how these shows always work.  They charged something like $15 for the big fancy program at the "Symphony of the Goddesses" Zelda music concert I went to last year.

In Finland they just don't offer programmes, not for money or for free. Problem solved!

• 2 weeks later...

Those HPatPS programs look nive! All they had for Indy here was a colour photocoppied 8.5x11 folded pamphlet.

Hope to see those available here May 17-18, 2018!

Now bring on Jurassic Park!!!

Great review! A few observations:
- I didn't know that that source cue underscoring Mr Weasley's warning was an English horn, always sounded like bagpipes to me.
- Great to hear that Double Trouble was performed by women!
- WINTER's SPELL IS PERFORMED LIVE? YES!!!!!!!
- Yes, they used the HP2 music in HP1 too.
- Hmm, I never noticed they dialed out unimportant sound effects in the LTPs I went to.
- No, people don't care about music. They just want to watch the film again.
- Any chance you could upload all your clips to a filehost like Sendspace or Mega in the near future? I can't access Google Drive and your review is making me really curious. (If these contain video, just the audio would be splendid already.)

Sure I could do that :)

It sounds like English Horn live at least, might have just been a substitute for whatever was actually used in the film. Not sure!

The cue for the Leaky Cauldron source music (the second one, during Mr. Weasley's Warning) is titled "Shawm". Apparently that's some sort of Egyptian woodwind - whether William actually got one, or a soundalike, I don't know. Since the cue is introduced right as Ron is talking about the family trip to Egpyt, it's probably Williams jumping at the chance to do something a bit unusual and maybe a little bit wry.

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

...I couldn't quite tell what it actually was...a gong? Rolling cymbal? Some sort of "sssshhhhhHHHHHHH" sound. Anyway, pretty jarring haha but interesting to note.

I don't know if it's supposed to sound like anything in particular; the music sheets call it a "snake-like hiss" synth. Cuaron seems to have enjoyed, in some bits of the film, making the line between music and sound effects blurred, and this is probably one of those instances. In the film's actual sound mix, the synth seems to follow the ball (if it moves to the left, the synth moves over to the left channel).

why are people clapping and cheering all the time?

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

End Credits

So, is it pretty normal at these LTP concerts for people to just get up and immediately walk out, talking over the orchestra as soon as the film's over, like a normal movie? Maybe I'm naive or looking at it the wrong way, but that felt so disrespectful! Kinda sank my heart a little to see so many just ignoring the orchestra's final performance like

At the Montreal performance of HPSS nobody left during the credits. Who would pay 50-175$ JUST to see the movie again when they can watch it at home. You have to be slightly aware it's a music concert when you buy tickets to this

1 hour ago, Skelly said:

I don't know if it's supposed to sound like anything in particular; the music sheets call it a "snake-like hiss" synth. Cuaron seems to have enjoyed, in some bits of the film, making the line between music and sound effects blurred, and this is probably one of those instances. In the film's actual sound mix, the synth seems to follow the ball (if it moves to the left, the synth moves over to the left channel).

Is that the right spot? I'm talking specifically about this:

Listening to it, it sounds like it was probably just a gong. But they sure went loud with it haha.

1 hour ago, Skelly said:

The cue for the Leaky Cauldron source music (the second one, during Mr. Weasley's Warning) is titled "Shawm". Apparently that's some sort of Egyptian woodwind - whether William actually got one, or a soundalike, I don't know. Since the cue is introduced right as Ron is talking about the family trip to Egpyt, it's probably Williams jumping at the chance to do something a bit unusual and maybe a little bit wry.

Yeah, it sounds to me like they were just using an English horn for the live performance. Not quite as reedy as this.

Thanks for the great report @mrbellamy!!! :)

I have reserved tickets for the CoS coming here next autumn but hopefully they'll also perform POA here soon.

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Listening to it, it sounds like it was probably just a gong. But they sure went loud with it haha.

I'm talking about the sound that comes right after the harp gliss at :50 (I thought that was the shhhhhhh sound you mentioned :P); I think you're talking about the sustained gong that hangs above while Trelawney is speaking to Hermione.

It's a shame people left during the credits. At the 2012 showing of Fellowship of the Ring everyone, and I mean everyone stayed for the credits. At the very end the conductor held the whole score/sheet music up for several rounds of applause.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Nice to hear how much source music JW composed for POA. I'm guessing any complete score will be 3CDs?

People familiar with the score said everything should fit on 2 CDs.

8 minutes ago, RPurton said:

It was in Melbourne, Australia in 2012.

Makes sense. I can't imagine any cheering, hollering or clapping during an MSO LTP performance! Melbourne's quite an art-loving city.

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

The most complete (without superfluous stuff) edit I've seen does not fit on two discs.

I always thought POA was filled with alternates, as Cuaron was quite exacting of Williams. There's plenty on the OST alone!

46 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The OST has plenty of alternates? Never noticed that (though to be fair, I've never really compared the music heard on the disc to the music as heard in the film). Which tracks in particular include alternate stuff (Mischief Managed excepted, since it's basically just a different edit compared to the film's end credits)?

The OST uses an alternate for the sequence where Hogwarts is locked up (Cuaron's fingerprints are all over the far-less-restrained film version):

And also the cue accompanying the bats flying through the Forbidden Forest (only to be snatched by Buckbeak). 

Film version:

There might be others but I'm not super-familiar with the score. The Boggarts! cue doesn't play anything like the film version, but that inserted source music editorially. Maybe the film just had lots of inserts rather than whole alternate cues, as these are short moments.

And the Double Trouble track on the CD isn't reflective of the film version, either.