Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

and Star Wars of course have no choir.

Though I'd be curious to see how they will handle RotJ when they finally get to it.  They certainly won't bring out a male chorus just for one cue, but the effect would be diminished if they didn't at least track it.

I'm speaking more about the one very important cue that we all know and love.  While I'm aware that there's some choir in other spots because of the Emperor's material, "The Dark Side Beckons" almost can't go without it.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

ROTJ has male choir in several cues, iirc

If memory serves me well, though, its a very small male choir which, unfortunately, lends itself to a synth substitution.

for someone to actually bother to assemble a live choir for such an event, it requires a certain volume of choral work and a certain size of choral forces to be present in the score for the effort to be worthwhile.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm pretty sure the orchestra used a synthesized celeste.  And they did use the pre-recorded choir.  Actually, do any of these Harry Potter concerts use live choir?

There was a live choir for Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone at the Royal Albert Hall in London earlier this year.  There was also a live choir for the one-off Independence Day live performance at the same venue last year.

We had a live choir in Paris and a live player for the celesta (synth) if I remember correctly.

They announced HP2 for next December. But I don't know if I'll attend given my experience with HP1 

This time the place has changed though but I must figure out what orchestra will be playing before purchasing tickets :) But there are also both Danny Elfman and Howard Shore concert so I don't know. I won't be able to attend all, that's for sure…

Well I just got an e-mail informing me that the HP CoS concert in Espoo, Finland which was to take place next month has been moved to February 2018. Oh well something to look forward next year.

No. The announcement just mentions "production technical reasons" (suomeksi tuotantotekniset syyt) as the cause for the delay.

They don't understand why there is so much tracked music and are wondering if they have a workprint version of the film.

"We already played all that music during the Philosopher's Stone concert! Are you sure you have the correct version of the film? Where's the new music?"

19 hours ago, Incanus said:

I'll attend the three Williams scored films and then pass any subsequent ones.

19 hours ago, Richard said:

Although I like the five remaining scores, the films got a little "teen angst" for me, just two rungs above Twilight.

Interesting.

To me, its the Chris Columbus films that are WAY too juvenile.

I like the music, but not nearly as much as I need in order to sit through those films, especially Chamber of Secrets.

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’d definitely see Doyle’s very good score performed.  But none of the others.  Still perplexed by the love that Desplat’s got.

Who loves those Desplat scores here? I like them, but nothing more. Would DEFINITELY go to GOF, though.

27 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Interesting.

To me, its the Chris Columbus films that are WAY too juvenile.

I like the music, but not nearly as much as I need in order to sit through those films, especially Chamber of Secrets.

Don't get me wrong, Chen; I like the scores, but I just don't want to see Potter being asked to "zip me up, will you?" 

Yikes!

I get it.

Its certainly not my favorite element of Harry Potter films, although since it comes hand-in-hand with the narrative growing progressively darker (in that the characters and the narrative "grow up") I'll take it over a stakeless two hour and forty minutes of retreaded exposition any day.

Its not like any of the Harry Potter films are these cinematic masterpieces or critical darlings.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Me too, but its not that great that It would lead me into sitting through upward of two and a half hours of british actors chewing the scenery to no end.

If that is the price you have to pay to hear this music live then I'll glady do it.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The price you have to pay is more like $200!

Scenery chewing British thespians and 200 € then (for all three JW scored films)! My final offer!

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Who loves those Desplat scores here? I like them, but nothing more. Would DEFINITELY go to GOF, though.

I don't know so much about this board, but in other places (like film score review sites/other messageboards) the Desplat scores get a lot of love.  5 star scores in many places.

I'm a fan of the Desplat scores, especially for Part 1. They're kind of subdued, which doesn't necessarily help the languid pace and the feeling of dead air that pervades the last two films, but they're still a good listen on their own, and do support many of the scenes well.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I get it.

Its certainly not my favorite element of Harry Potter films, although since it comes hand-in-hand with the narrative growing progressively darker (in that the characters and the narrative "grow up") I'll take it over a stakeless two hour and forty minutes of retreaded exposition any day.

Its not like any of the Harry Potter films are these cinematic masterpieces or critical darlings.

Also, and as much as I like the other scores, I'm not prepared to pay £35-plus to hear them live.

35 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I'm a fan of the Desplat scores, especially for Part 1. They're kind of subdued, which doesn't necessarily help the languid pace and the feeling of dead air that pervades the last two films, but they're still a good listen on their own, and do support many of the scenes well.

I especially don't get the love for "Lily's Theme" which I find so boring and unmemorable as a melody and as a theme.  I really like many Desplat scores, but for me melody is not his strongest suit.

On 9/27/2017 at 10:54 AM, Disco Stu said:

I especially don't get the love for "Lily's Theme" which I find so boring and unmemorable as a melody and as a theme.  I really like many Desplat scores, but for me melody is not his strongest suit.

I haven't listened to much Desplat, but I know this melody is absolutely gorgeous (probably one of the best of the 2010s):

Oh sure, I'm not saying he can't write a good melody, just that often it's not his strongest suit.  But also, unlike Patrick Doyle for whom I made the opposite point recently, he's not necessarily a composer who sounds like he needs great melodies all the time.  He's incredibly adept with the orchestra (and more offbeat orchestrations) and controls tone/mood very well.  Godzilla for instance is a fantastic score, even if I'm not necessarily humming tunes from it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to Chamber of Secrets this Sunday

I'll examine the Programme to see if there's any mention of William Ross contribution to this score