Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

Harry Potter is finally coming to New England!  

HPSS debuts in Providence on April and I got Marcy tickets for Christmas, we'll be going!

https://www.ppacri.org/events/detail/harry-potter-in-concert-the-sorcerers-stone

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see Prisoner of Azkaban in Rotterdam, and it was amazing. A couple of the great things about it:

- the choir, obviously

- the live back-and-forth mixture of source music and underscore was pretty incredible; must have been a nightmare to conduct and perform.

- you could hear the quieter underscore so much better than in the film; it was almost like listening to new JW music

- they played the entire end credits music (except for the Hedwig theme and Pettigrew motif that closes the film)

- the one drawback of this otherwise perfect film has always been the rather low mix of the score: this live to projection fixes that, and it's just an mind-blowing experience from beginning to ending.

Highly, highly recommended, if you have the chance to go to this.

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

I am expecting POA to be performed in London next year, given that both PS and COS tickets are selling so well.

Karol

I think I need travel to England to see my favorite Azkaban, they have done now the first two Potters  in Finland but probably not the next one.

I attended the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban concert in Rotterdam (The Netherlands) a week ago. If anyone is interested in my thoughts about it, here is my report:

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/01/harry-potter-and-the-prisoner-of-azkaban-rotterdam/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really hope they decide to perform the third film's score here like they did with the previous two.

My wife and I are seeing Sorcerer's Stone live to projection this Saturday night in Providence, RI.  Can't wait!

I went to see Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets this evening at the Royal Albert Hall, the first of five performances over the weekend.  It was fantastic!  The BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by Justin Freer was on excellent form, played the entire end credits music and was also accompanied by the English Chamber Choir.

I had only seen the film once before and that was long enough ago that I did not remember much of it, so it was nice to be able to enjoy it and reacquaint myself with the music.  I had forgotten what a lovely theme Fawkes the Phoenix is, I really must play it more often.

Here is a photo I took at the end, with the mostly female choir top right behind the trumpets and trombones.

DSC02572.JPG

Just found out Prisoner of Azkaban and Empire Strikes Back are performing later this year in Australia! What a double-whammy of two brilliant scores!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So!

I have been given the opportunity to interview Justin Freer, a conductor of the Harry Potter live to projection concerts, this Wednesday afternoon in Royal Albert Hall between the matinee show and the evening show.

If you can think of any questions relating to him or the Harry Potter concerts you'd like answered, leave them here and I'll try to get answers!

Here's some information about him

https://www.cineconcerts.com/composers/2017/11/27/justin-freer

Yes, a brilliant score wonderfully performed by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and the English Chamber Choir.  It was great to hear the round of applause erupt when the name of John Williams appeared in the end credits.

90B719D7-4149-4038-83AA-325D75272124.jpeg

I guess my orchestra, Symphony Nova Scotia,  will be performing HP1 in May, to end our season. As principal trumpet that makes me very happy. Nothing better than some JW before going on vacation. 

Speaking of JW, we're playing a sci fi/super hero concert this weekend.

Superman, Elfman Spidey and Batman, Goldsmith Supergirl, Star Trek medley and 6 pieces from SW (Main title, Leia, scherzo for X-wings, Jedi steps and finale, Rebellion is born, and Imperial march as an encore)

Pretty excited about this concert too.

Goblet of Fire playing in Montreal this month

Totally not interested

I hope it doesn't kill the hype for other  Live to Projection concerts

54 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

I guess my orchestra, Symphony Nova Scotia,  will be performing HP1 in May, to end our season. As principal trumpet that makes me very happy. Nothing better than some JW before going on vacation. 

Who is conducting?

54 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

Speaking of JW, we're playing a sci fi/super hero concert this weekend.

Superman, Elfman Spidey and Batman, Goldsmith Supergirl, Star Trek medley and 6 pieces from SW (Main title, Leia, scherzo for X-wings, Jedi steps and finale, Rebellion is born, and Imperial march as an encore)

Pretty excited about this concert too.

Wow that's a nice setlist.

It was a great performance and experience. Compared to Rotterdam, where the music completely overshadowed the dialogue/effects track, the mix yesterday was more balanced, at least from where I was sitting. As a matter of fact, this was finally the film as it should have been, seeing as its only (or main) flaw is the low mix of the score.

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Goblet of Fire playing in Montreal this month

Totally not interested

I hope it doesn't kill the hype for other  Live to Projection concerts

Please don't bash Doyle's score, it will be great in concert. Hooper's music will kill the experience because people will realise how little the orchestra is doing.

That ain't Harry's Wondrous World, that's Escape from the Dursley's! HWW doesn't even have Nimbus 2000, let alone in its Dursley reduction.