Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

Not from the live to picture concerts, but here is a nice spooky performance of Double Trouble from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban performed by the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra and Chorus.

35 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Not from the live to picture concerts, but here is a nice spooky performance of Double Trouble from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban performed by the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra and Chorus.

Is this from the official suite?

So JW wrote it? Shame it wasn't recorded in the Azkaban sessions so we could have a definitive edition.

Although I suppose the new release should contain 3 versions as it is: film, album and trailer!

On 10/29/2018 at 1:41 PM, bollemanneke said:

At least it's better than having the concerts accompanied by dubbed movies. Imagine having to sit through Titanic in German...

I'm going to see POA live in Milan this December, and I'm really happy to hear it's a great experience.
I'm afraid the film will be dubbed, but this doesn't bother me that much, I'll just focus on the music.
But I really hope they won't sing the Italian version of Double Trouble, it's horrible.

2 minutes ago, redishere said:

But I really hope they won't sing the Italian version of Double Trouble, it's horrible.

Doppio, doppio, fatica e problemi
Bolla di fuoco e calderone
Sta per accadere qualcosa di spiacevole!
Occhio di tritone e punta di rana
Lana di pipistrello e lingua di cane
La forchetta e la puntura del verme cieco
La gamba e l'ala civetta di Lucertola
Nel calderone, fai bollire e infornare
Filetto di un serpente fenny
Scala del drago, dente del lupo
Streghe mamme, fauci e golfo

Hahahaha not exactly 😂
They didn't just translate the words (not using Bing),

they also tried to match the lip movements so the choice of words is really weird.

Yuck.

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Occhio di tritone e punta di rana
Lana di pipistrello e lingua di cane
La forchetta e la puntura del verme cieco
La gamba e l'ala civetta di Lucertola
Nel calderone, fai bollire e infornare
Filetto di un serpente fenny
Scala del drago, dente del lupo
Streghe mamme, fauci e golfo

Gribbit.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:15 PM, crumbs said:

So JW wrote it? Shame it wasn't recorded in the Azkaban sessions so we could have a definitive edition.

Although I suppose the new release should contain 3 versions as it is: film, album and trailer!

There's really no such thing as a "film version", the film uses the exact same thing you can hear on the album.  They just dropped the beginning and the added croaking frogs over it, something surely done by the sound effects team and not the music team.  Oh, and of course Williams recorded "Something Wicked Intro" to lead into the new "start point" of the cue since the beginning isn't there.

This might interest you http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28950-whats-your-favorite-setting-of-the-double-trouble-theme/&do=findComment&comment=1540317

• 3 weeks later...

According to the CineConcerts/Harry Potter site...

https://www.harrypotterinconcert.com/global-tour

...Azkaban will be in San Francisco’s Davies Symphony Hall this August 2019.

IMO, The San Francisco Symphony Orchestra has done more LTP concerts than any orchestra in the USA.  This past summer, alone, they done 5—3 Star Wars concerts, the Little Mermaid, and Harry Potter…Chamber of Secrets

Now we know what LTP concert the SFSO is giving this summer. That leaves, maybe, 4 more. Let the guessing begin, Bay Area folks

Harry Potter.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2018 at 7:03 PM, redishere said:

Did they do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gIZYO_goXI

(It's a shame that the LLL set did not include this splendid... "alternate" version! :lol: )

16 hours ago, Score said:

Did they do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gIZYO_goXI

(It's a shame that the LLL set did not include this splendid... "alternate" version! :lol: )

Nope, they didn't, I was surprised.
But the sound engineer messed something up: the audio track in the background has all dialogue and sfx, and since the movie was in Italian, the Italian Double Trouble was there, but they forgot to mute the track when the choir started singing, so the first bar had the italian version roaring from the speakers, then they lowered the volume and for a few bars you could hear both versions mixed together, then they realized they had to mute everything (duh), so the refrain and the "something wicked this way comes" part were in english. No frogs, though, 'cause the audio track was muted — then they cranked the volume up right after the "comes", and you could hear the reverberated last italian word of the song. It was the only major issue, but it wasn't the orchestra's fault – they nailed Double Trouble in the end credits. The rest of the performance was pretty good: the percussionists were a little bit lazy, 'cause I couldn't hear them that much, but I was pretty far from the stage so perhaps it wasn't their fault. Apart from this, there was probably just only one glitch in the whole concert (the Sirius Theme statement during Quidditch felt a tad bit off tempo): the orchestra worked really hard, they were perfectly in sync and I was actually surprised by the fact the audience didn't cheer randomly everytime a character appeared; they applauded in the right spots and it was actually cool 'cause it was clear they were praising the orchestra at the end of the most complex and beautiful cues. Too bad they applauded after the Expecto Patronum scene: couldn't hear the Rescue of Sirius cue right after, and they clapped again when Buckbeak took off and left the Tower, before the cue ended.

First time I've heard an Italian crowd applaud before something lands.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, SyncMan said:

According to the CineConcerts/Harry Potter site...

https://www.harrypotterinconcert.com/global-tour

...Azkaban will be in San Francisco’s Davies Symphony Hall this August 2019.

Harry Potter.png

Question:

I went to the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra’s website and looked under the August calendar.  No concerts posted for that month.

https://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/Calendar.aspx#mo=2019:8

SFSO-August.png

That’s because the SFSO’s summer 2019 schedule has not been announced, so, patrons can’t buy them.  Yet, in Stubhub’s website, there are listings of these tickets to that show.

Stub Hub Harry.png

How are these people getting these them?

• 2 weeks later...

Mark the date...I know I am. On Nov 15 I will finally get to play a full JW score. Our orchestra will be performing HP 1 live. I know it’s not ESB or SW, but hey, for a trumpet player, any JW is better than no JW. Hopefully it sells well and it opens the door to other movies to come here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Mostly lurking as of late, but to reply to the above question, I can confirm that the Oregon Symphony will be doing the GOF Live-to-Projection this coming season (can't recall if it will occur in Fall 2019 or Winter 2020).  I've got my ticket and am ready...even if it's not my favorite maestro on this one.  Perhaps the best of the non-Williams scores?  It's been a while since I've heard them all, but perhaps I'll do that soon.

AIFan

• 1 month later...

I attended a Goblet of Fire Live to Projection concert in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. It was a weird feeling to listen to Doyle's music instead of John Williams. It was a different, but still an amazing experience.

You can read it in my report below:

https://soundtrackworld.com/2019/05/harry-potter4-rotterdam/

Harry-Potter-4-2-585x325.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:00 PM, ricsim88 said:

Mark the date...I know I am. On Nov 15 I will finally get to play a full JW score. Our orchestra will be performing HP 1 live. I know it’s not ESB or SW, but hey, for a trumpet player, any JW is better than no JW. Hopefully it sells well and it opens the door to other movies to come here.

November 15 for HP1: Is that the day that you'll be performing to an audience or is it the start of rehearsals? 

8 hours ago, SyncMan said:

November 15 for HP1: Is that the day that you'll be performing to an audience or is it the start of rehearsals? 

Believe or not, we only have 1 rehearsal on the 14th, dress rehearsal and concert on the 15th...possible repeat on the 16. Going to be intense.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 1:17 PM, bollemanneke said:

Can't wait to hear the cheap-sounding choral work during the final battle! :)

• 1 month later...

First act finish.

Highlights: LumosAunt Marge’s Waltz,

Buckbeak’s Flight,  On the Bridge – Remembering Mother, The Big Doors and The Great Hall Ceiling, Quidditch, Third Year, A Walk in the Woods and Bird’s Flight, The Snowball Fight, Summoning the Patronus. 

I love this score!!! :love2:

Second act finish. 

Highlights: The Sentence, Sirius and Harry, The Dementors Converge, Time Past / Saving Buckbeak, watching the Past, The Rescue of Sirius,  Sirius Says Goodbye / Turning Time Back, Mischief Managed. 

4 hours ago, Richard said:

It's the best one!

Now now, we both know Half-Blood Prince in concert will be an infinitely superior experience! Still annoyed they cancelled the series in Belgium...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Attending GOF concert in London. Second half is about to start. The score is really good live and I noticed a lot of the music not on album that I'd like to have. Hopefully we'll get an expanded release soon. :)

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Attending GOF concert in London. Second half is about to start. The score is really good live and I noticed a lot of the music not on album that I'd like to have. Hopefully we'll get an expanded release soon. :)

Karol

That’s great! GOF is one of the few non-JW Potter scores, if not the only one, that stuck with me. Didn’t like it that much at first, but Doyle created really great themes.

I’ve only seen POA live to projection, but I would like to see more HP movies like this.

...and JP of course!

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

More details please! When does the first half conclude?

The second half starts with the ball. There is no overture. As in when the actual ball starts.  The scene with Hermione's dress reveal is what closes the first part and it segues into a copy & paste statement of Hedwig's theme from early on in the score (I think it was the opening?).

There's no chorus chanting or synth stuff. Think most of that was taken from the film. The Quidditch jig is performed live but it sounds much smaller due to lack of overdubs. 

The film follows the film version so all the edits are preserved. It works well, except only for that one comical pause during Harry in Winter scene.

Funnily, the orchestra stopped playing about halfway through the credits. It's bit strange.

Overall, it was really great. This score lends itself very well to live performances exactly because it is not as "nuanced" as Williams'. The bombastic and less subtle nature of Doyle's writing makes it stand out more against the sound effects.

Karol

Thanks! The break seems to be a really clumsy decision and I really dislike that compulsive Hedwig's Theme repetition in all the intermissions. I wonder why the orchestra doesn' tplay the full credits, though, maybe because they couldn't affofrd a singer for Magic Works in every hall? Seems a weird decision nevertheless.

The songs in GoF are... unfortunate. I always have to cut off the credits at that point when I watch the movie. If I saw this live to projection and they attempted that song, my day would be ruined!! It might be nice if they reprised some other music to fill the time though.

I made a very late decision to go along to the evening performance of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire yesterday and was glad that I did.  I had a ticket to the talk with Patrick Doyle before the final concert and thought it might have been a bit rude to bugger off home straight afterwards, so I bought a cheap ticket for the gallery.  I think I had seen the film once when it was on TV a few years ago but remembered almost nothing about it, so it was nice to see it again and on the big screen this time.

Justin Freer announced just before the film started that Patrick Doyle was in the audience (in fact his wife and at least a couple of his grown up children were with him, including Abigail who sings on the track Underwater Secrets on the soundtrack album).  Not only did this mean that he got a particularly enthusiastic and well-deserved cheer when his name appeared during the end credits, but it also meant that he was able to come out on stage at the end to thank the orchestra and take a bow.  One nice little quirk I noticed was that most of the orchestra were swaying from side to side as they played the various waltzes in the end credits!

Here are a couple of my customary blurry photos:

DSC03497.JPG

DSC03501.JPG