Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait, Gandalf?  What?

He meant that he did not know about Gandalf having a staff in the Lord of the Rings films, so as far as he was concerned his idea to have the Bulgarian boys bang staffs on the ground in the fourth Harry Potter film was an original one.

Mind you, we have had Alien v Predator so why not the franchise mash-up spin-off Gandalf v Dumbledore?  I am thinking Brian Tyler for the music (natch) and can see the tagline now:

"One packs a staff, the other packs a wand.  Together they deliver."

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 9:00 PM, ricsim88 said:

Mark the date...I know I am. On Nov 15 I will finally get to play a full JW score. Our orchestra will be performing HP 1 live. I know it’s not ESB or SW, but hey, for a trumpet player, any JW is better than no JW. Hopefully it sells well and it opens the door to other movies to come here.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:51 PM, ricsim88 said:

...we only have 1 rehearsal on the 14th, dress rehearsal and concert on the 15th...possible repeat on the 16. Going to be intense.

Hay, @ricsim88,

How was the reception for you and the orchestra?

About the rehearsal: Was the film projected on stage while you and the musicians are playing? I would think the sync-track version of the film would play on the conductor's monitor, just above his music stand, so that he can get used to working with it.  Was the film's sound piped through the speakers as you are rehearing?

I know it's too soon to ask, but will the orchestra do any more LTPs in the future?

1 hour ago, SyncMan said:

Hay, @ricsim88,

How was the reception for you and the orchestra?

About the rehearsal: Was the film projected on stage while you and the musicians are playing? I would think the sync-track version of the film would play on the conductor's monitor, just above his music stand, so that he can get used to working with it.  Was the film's sound piped through the speakers as you are rehearing?

I know it's too soon to ask, but will the orchestra do any more LTPs in the future?

The reception was phenomenal. It was quite interesting as a musician to perform while the audience reacts to the on screen action. A lot of fun.

The screen was above and behind the orchestra, and only used on the 2nd rehearsal. It’s a well oiled machine for sure. Everything went super smoothly.

the film and  music tracks were both mixed and sent through speakers. From what I’ve heard, it seemed it was well balanced and the sound quality was good. It was in a big hockey arena.

Overall it was a lot of fun, the conductor was great, he was very precise and knew the score incredibly well.

I would have liked just one more rehearsal....playing Quidditch only once through before the performance was a little nerve wracking...

Hopefully we get to do more in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to a showing of Philosopher/Sorcerer's Stone this September in Stavanger, Norway.  The Stavanger Symphony Orchestra has become very adept at playing film music over the years and I honestly didn't hear a single flub. Only thing I missed was a choir, some of the bigger moments lost their oomph a bit without the voices. 

• 3 months later...

Huh? Harry Potter 1 is coming back to Antwerp in June. That's so weird. They did HP1 a couple of years ago and HP2 the next year, which didn't sell at all. Why not continue with HP3? The weirdest part is that I'm actually considering to go again if I can, but they're also doing POTC1, which I haven't heard live yet, so…

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
16 hours ago, Jay said:

Sorcerer's Stone will be done this summer at Tanglewood!

https://www.bso.org/events/boston-pops-sorcerers-stone

August 26th

Did you see this one in the Tanglewood schedule, @Jay

Temp 1.png

Open Rehearsal: Keith Lockhart conducts Harry Potter and the… | BSO

When I saw, 'Open Rehearsal', I am thinking, "Wow, finally a chance to hear even portions of this score without the film's sound."

Then I saw the time--August 26 at 10:30am--that is the morning of the show.

During my research into this, that schedule suggests that it is the last rehearsal before the show--the dress rehearsal where the orchestra would work with the film's sound, projection and all the technical stuff (the house lights, the click-track, etc).  Still, I'm very surprised that the orchestra-administration would invite the public to any rehearsal of a LTP concert.

I would like to be wrong on whether that rehearsal would have the film's sound with the music playing.  Jay, since Boston is your side of the street, maybe you can check-it out for us.

Woah, that's neat!

I was invited to attend Azkaban rehearsals in London back in 2018, which were also done on the same day as the evening performance.  It was amazing to watch the conductor (Justin Freer in that instance) work through the cues with the orchestra.  Most of the times they'd play it through, he'd give them notes, and they'd have to move on to the next cue.  But sometimes he'd have them play sections again.  They did pretty much the whole movie I think, maybe skipped a few parts.  I don't think the movie's sound effects/dialogue played every cue they did, so it was nice to hear so much music from the score clean ahead of the box set's release.

• 1 month later...
On 02/02/2023 at 6:45 AM, SyncMan said:

Did you see this one in the Tanglewood schedule, @Jay

Temp 1.png

Open Rehearsal: Keith Lockhart conducts Harry Potter and the… | BSO

When I saw, 'Open Rehearsal', I am thinking, "Wow, finally a chance to hear even portions of this score without the film's sound."

Then I saw the time--August 26 at 10:30am--that is the morning of the show.

During my research into this, that schedule suggests that it is the last rehearsal before the show--the dress rehearsal where the orchestra would work with the film's sound, projection and all the technical stuff (the house lights, the click-track, etc).  Still, I'm very surprised that the orchestra-administration would invite the public to any rehearsal of a LTP concert.

I would like to be wrong on whether that rehearsal would have the film's sound with the music playing.  Jay, since Boston is your side of the street, maybe you can check-it out for us.

Did anyone, here, try to get tickets for this?  The above link is dead and I can't find this event in the Tanglewood schedule, anymore.

• 10 months later...