Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't want to wait till 2023 to see them all.

Maybe by 2023, they'll make huge breakthroughs in stem cell therapy and you will be able to see them. 

Well, just coming back to see this. I am happy but I wasn't overblown by it. I thought the mixing was right (you barely heard the SFX and mostly the music), but I felt the music itself could have been louder with more oomph. It was a bit like listening to the recording sessions at mid volume

Also the movie just started right away with no introduction whatsoever. I was expecting maybe they'd mention John Williams had composed the music somewhere in the presentation, or have a little biography of  him, or an interview clip  but no...the only time you saw his name was during the End Credits

It was mid volume, but still  louder than if your just hearing the score mix on the bluray.

But by loud I mean like like the mix in Zimmer  or RCP scores nowadays where it's almost deafening

Did you enjoy watching the film again with an audience?  Did they laugh and cheer?  Did you enjoy watching the musicians play the music you've heard a million times before?  Did you notice any interesting instruments used that you never realized were used just by listening?

Yeah I did enjoy all that, just not as much as I was expecting.

I didn't hear too many odd instruments. Is some of this performance dubbed with the recording sessions for some of the instruments or the choir bits?

Some of it sounded a lot  like the OST and recording sessions. I  never got the feeling that it was a different take on the music.

I still wonder if  the recording sessions are playing in the background and the orchestra is just doubling certain instruments.Sometimes a lot  of the orchestra members didn't seem to be playing anything

i might still see Chamber of Secrets in October

12 hours ago, king mark said:

I still wonder if  the recording sessions are playing in the background and the orchestra is just doubling certain instruments.Sometimes a lot  of the orchestra members didn't seem to be playing anything

What kind of phony concert did you attend? Pretend orchestra using playback? :lol:

I just ordered my ticket for the Chamber of Secrets next October. :)

14 hours ago, king mark said:

Some of it sounded a lot  like the OST and recording sessions. I  never got the feeling that it was a different take on the music.

You need to go to more live concerts.

I still wonder if  the recording sessions are playing in the background and the orchestra is just doubling certain instruments.

Absolutely would never happen.

Sometimes a lot  of the orchestra members didn't seem to be playing anything

Not every cue uses every instrument...

i might still see Chamber of Secrets in October

You should!

I'd have to get a hotel room since getting home at 2 or 3 in the morning is not ever going to be a choice I'd make.  Once you start having kids, you can't just drive off to concerts any time you want!

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

To be fair, I'm perfectly happy choosing my children over a John Williams concert any day of the week :P 

I should hope so!

15 hours ago, king mark said:

I  never got the feeling that it was a different take on the music.

Actually, I do get what you mean by that. I've always found it a little uncanny how the orchestra sounds so much like the OST. Whereas if you listen to, say, a Pops radio broadcast of Film Night, a lot of the pieces sound quite different. 

I guess it's just because they have to keep the exact same tempo as the film. Also maybe any slight differences (which must exist) are simply unnoticed because of the SFX.

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard Houston Symphony is doing HPSS! Three performances over July 21-22. :) This plus Jurassic Park in the same summer...such yay!

I'm officially in for CoS in October

I'm sitting the very first row in front. Is that good or bad?

You won't be able to see any musicians except the string section and the back of the conductor.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

You won't be able to see any musicians except the string section and the back of the conductor.

what I mean is the sound good in the first row? Your closer to the orchestra, so I figure that yes

Too close may not necessarily be good thing.  In my experience, the mid-point in a standard concert hall, is usually the best, or first tier front.

The second part was always stronger. People were not leaving during end credits. I'm in shock.

Is it just me or did they use more chorus in this?

Karol

It actually sounded very good with the chorus added. Hearing the score today made me realised how good Harry's theme actually is. Innocent and sweet but with a sense of longing.

Karol