Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

On 10/3/2017 at 7:13 PM, Disco Stu said:

Oh sure, I'm not saying he can't write a good melody, just that often it's not his strongest suit.  But also, unlike Patrick Doyle for whom I made the opposite point recently, he's not necessarily a composer who sounds like he needs great melodies all the time.  He's incredibly adept with the orchestra (and more offbeat orchestrations) and controls tone/mood very well.  Godzilla for instance is a fantastic score, even if I'm not necessarily humming tunes from it.

True, though I still believe that Doyle is a FAR better dramatist.  I have yet to feel a single emotion from listening to a Desplat score.  It's like reading a dictionary of film scoring techniques.  

it depends. He seems to suck at scoring blockbuster type movies so far, but there are some scores of his that have really nice themes and melodies like Unbroken and Monument Men

COS In Concert. First Row Center. Was Amazing

could see most of the orchestra except the brass in the back

Seemed a lot more "live" than HPSS where I was further in the back and on the side

I'm offcially going to E.T. in Concert with good seats

they only played Harry's Wondrous World.

Was there supposed to be more?

Also the programme says Fawke's Theme was supposed to be played just a after the inrermission and wasn't

I was a bit confused by that

I never said that you said you didn't appreciate it; I asked if you appreciate it MORE now.  You can like something, then have something happen, and end up liking it even more, ya know?

Well yes, and also the movie itself because the music is mixed very badly in this one. for the  first time I get to hear the music loudly with the film

Nice.  It must have been awesome to hear those cues with the chamber theme in them live and loud enough to hear.  So cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out that Chamber of Secrets will be in Houston December 29 & 30.  Not sure when this was announced and how I missed it.  I managed to get a few decent seats regardless.  I also found out The Best of John Williams concert will be in Houston in April 2018.  So much to look forward to!

Has anybody ever been to PoA live without a choir? I want to buy tickets for Rotterdam, but I'm quite concerned. They did CoS without a choir, and it seems like the same story for this one.

CoS was great by the way - outstanding performance by the orchestra and not having the choir wasn't a big deal. But I've got no idea how they would manage it with a choir-heavy score like PoA.

Also, I must say that I was impressed by how the audience behaved in Rotterdam... very quiet mostly. Nothing like the footage I've seen from SW live in New York!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from this! CSO didn't splurge on a choir, but I didn't miss it too much. Music was mixed amazingly loud (close to "hurt your ears" territory). First time I'd ever had that before! :)

On 15/11/2017 at 9:50 PM, bollemanneke said:

An instrumental Double Trouble could be interesting.

It was played at a concert in Paris (not relate to the Live to picture series though) :

As for the LTP concert in Paris, the first one had a choir so I hope this continues for the upcoming concerts.

• 2 weeks later...

Fighting words!!!! But Chamber of Secrets will be great to hear live.

I went to HPSS last week, performed by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. It was wonderful. Very appreciative audience too. I found out at the concert that we're getting Chamber of Secrets, but I have to wait til October 2018!! AGGGHHH

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Our PS was just standard yellowish.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Same.  The stage lights had no color filter.

Regular concert halls?

I’m seeing this in an arena so maybe that has something to do with it. 

Intermision. 

Enjoying it so far but the gee bag of a conductor asked people to cheer for their favour it’s characters and the gobshites in the audience have done so. Every time a new character comes onscreen there’s a big dumb cheer. I’m here for the music maaaan. 

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Enjoying it so far but the gee bag of a conductor asked people to cheer for their favour it’s characters

Same thing happened when I saw Sorcerer's/Philosopher's.  Asked them to cheer and crap.  Terrible.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

"DOBBY! YEAH! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!"

This is precisely it. It calmed down a bit as the film went on thankfully. 

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Same thing happened when I saw Sorcerer's/Philosopher's.  Asked them to cheer and crap.  Terrible.

You’d think at €86 a ticket you’d listen to the bloody music!

Someone two rows in front of me is having a conversation with someone on WhatsApp about being at this tonight... she’s doing it while it’s on!!

Very enjoyable night. I was rushing for a bus so after playing the first part of the credits I went to leave but the orchestra stopped at that point anyway so I don’t think they played anything after that anyway. Hate having to run but if I missed nothing all the better!

Chamber of Secrets is too long though

11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Regular concert halls?

I’m seeing this in an arena so maybe that has something to do with it. 

Nope, I saw it in an arena.

I'll definitely be seeing this when it shows up in Oct 2018.  For those of you who have seen it live, how did the Quidditch match (aka "Bludger Attack/Chasing the Snitch") sound?  That's one of my absolute favorite cues in the score, so I'm pretty excited to hear it live 

22 hours ago, Bilbo said:

This is precisely it. It calmed down a bit as the film went on thankfully. 

You’d think at €86 a ticket you’d listen to the bloody music!

Someone two rows in front of me is having a conversation with someone on WhatsApp about being at this tonight... she’s doing it while it’s on!!

I liked the audience participation. And sadly, 90% of the public is not interested in the music on our level.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to COS in Concert yesterday and the Houston Symphony was, as usual, flawless.  Amazing performance all around and I so pleased there was a choir since I heard some venues didn't have one.  The music was considerable louder than the film mix which was perfect because it allowed me to listen more closely to the orchestrations and appreciate it's brilliance.  The original music Williams wrote for COS is absolutely wonderful.  Even though there's a lot of existing music, I feel COS still has it's own identity with it's new material.  However, I've always been put off by all the AOTC bits here and there.  It's a shame Williams didn't have more time to dedicate to this one. I was disappointed they didn't play the entire end credits because I was looking forward to hearing Fawkes and Chamber of Secrets in concert form.  Regardless, it was a fun and exciting night.  Williams credit got quite the applause his name appeared, too.

I hope Prisoner of Azkaban comes to Houston.  It's not in the schedule yet. :(