Harry Potter - Live to Projection Concerts

bollemanneke

12 hours ago, Jay said:

That was like 4 years ago now.  I guess it didn't pan out

Even if it had been 4 years ago instead of 2, that's exactly how this business works. Some projects just take a while.

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

A Whiff On The Breeze would be a great title for Williams' next concert work.

Isn't that more suitable title for a tragic love theme for the next on-screen romance in Star Wars saga? So the series could finally have a love theme.

It could also work as a title for Han Solo's eulogy song, A Whiff on the Breeze

Goodbye Chewie's friend
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the man that placed himself
Where lives were torn apart
You called out to our galaxy
And you whispered in great pain
Now you belong to heavens
And the stars spell out your name

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a whiff on the breeze
Never fading with twin sunset
When the rain set in
And your footsteps will always fall there
On Starkiller's blown up shell
Your body burned out long before
Your legend ever will.

Ooops. The cat is out of the bag!

OK. Let's get back to the speculation on the release of Harry Potter complete scores! These concerts are a surefire sign! We Williams fans never overinterpret these things.

And on a more serious note, it would be nice if they made a larger tour with these live projections, e.g. to Europe. Places like Finland do not get enough of film music concerts as it is and none of our major orchestras hasn't tried anything like this since the Tampere Filharmonia's great The Fellowship of the Ring concert several years back. I can't remember if it was a major success and was it sold out but I think there would be enough fans of film music in Finland to cover the costs of one of these events. Plus there are Harry Potter fans here by the legion and many of those would surely attend these concerts.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

They really HAVE to do this in the UK.

Well since UK is having Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark and other live to projections concerts I would say it will be more than likely.

Wow, I didn't know Jurassic Park got a live to projection treatment! If they'd do it in the UK, do you think they will do it around the same time as the US? I might be grasping at straws, but isn't it more practical to have everyone perform HP1 instead of, say, Goblet of Fire in the US while Chamber of Secrets is still in the UK?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Wow, I didn't know Jurassic Park got a live to projection treatment!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26017-jurassic-park-latest-live-to-projection-williams-concert/

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Given the rising popularity of these events, why is Star Wars not among the selections? 

Given more time I am sure they'll do it at some point. There could be all kinds of rights issues and legal hurdles and contracts to tackle to get these shows on the road.

And while there is no live to projection of SW scores there has been the Star Wars in Concert tour presenting music from all six previous films in concert setting.

The Star Wars in Concert is good, but imagine ESB from start to finish live. 

Changing the topic slightly, Spielberg should make history and premiere the BFG at an event like this. 

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

Given more time I am sure they'll do it at some point. There could be all kinds of rights issues and legal hurdles and contracts to tackle to get these shows on the road.

And while there is no live to projection of SW scores there has been the Star Wars in Concert tour presenting music from all six previous films in concert setting.

It could also be that, simply, all the music from the HP films is already in digital format (since they are modern scores and I think they were all prepared by Jo Ann Kane), so it can be quickly prepared for performance. Maybe with the original Star Wars trilogy it is more difficult because of the time needed for copying and proofreading everything, which is surely a time-consuming job.

If SW ever got a concert version, I would only go to the prequels. I guess that will make me unpopular here. As for sheet music, I'm still baffled as to how they'll tackle all the microedits/tracked cues/unused stuff in those HP concerts.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

If SW ever got a concert version, I would only go to the prequels. I guess that will make me unpopular here. As for sheet music, I'm still baffled as to how they'll tackle all the microedits/tracked cues/unused stuff in those HP concerts.

I see three options:

1) perform the music as it is warts and all

2) remove microedits where appropriate for synchronization, remove tracked material and/or restore original intentions and include unused pieces back to the score.

3) create a hybrid where each such case is decided individually.

10 hours ago, Score said:

It could also be that, simply, all the music from the HP films is already in digital format (since they are modern scores and I think they were all prepared by Jo Ann Kane), so it can be quickly prepared for performance. Maybe with the original Star Wars trilogy it is more difficult because of the time needed for copying and proofreading everything, which is surely a time-consuming job.

Indeed - E.T. and Home Alone had to be typeset (almost) entirely from scratch by JKMS, if I'm correct.

SnitchSeeker interviewed the concert producers!

http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/harry-potter-film-concert-series-producers-talk-international-tours-jk-rowling-more-103364/

Most interesting comments:

- Rowling had to approve the project. Does she really need to to approve EVERYTHING?
- All the eight scores are strong enough for a live performance. Sure.
- THE CONCERTS ARE A GLOBAL ENDEAVOUR!
- Each soundtrack has unique moments. Sure.
- JW's music will be fun, he composed the iconic tune.
- Doyle's music has amazing power. True that! And GOF has a choral element. Really?
- Nick Hooper's music does not come with an adjective.
- Desplat's music is elegant. Yeah, one could say that.
- They hope to do Fantastic Beasts.

So they are basically recreating the existing soundtrack for these films in the concerts. No attempt to introduce unused material or revise tracking.

Brady: It is exactly the movie from frame-to-frame, complete with the music totally in sync with the film. So everywhere music appeared in the original film, it will be performed by the orchestra conducted in sync by Justin and other guest conductors as it was originally intended in the film and originally seen in the film, except live with an 85-piece orchestra.

If they can do the entire HP series, they can damn right do the entire Indy and SW series.

So everywhere music appeared in the original film, it will be performed by the orchestra conducted in sync by Justin and other guest conductors as it was originally intended in the film and originally seen in the film, except live with an 85-piece orchestra.

I assume they mean how the director intended it, not the composer.

I have experienced something like this at a John Williams concert in Columbus, Ohio back in 2007 where Williams conducted the orchestra to a live performance of the young Indy train chase at the beginning of Last Crusade, but the clip was void of any sound so the orchestra could shine. So, this may be a dumb question, but when they do a live performance to an entire film, is the whole film quiet except for the live music and, if so, what do they do when there is no score to certain scenes?

9 minutes ago, soundwave said:

I have experienced something like this at a John Williams concert in Columbus, Ohio back in 2007 where Williams conducted the orchestra to a live performance of the young Indy train chase at the beginning of Last Crusade, but the clip was void of any sound so the orchestra could shine. So, this may be a dumb question, but when they do a live performance to an entire film, is the whole film quiet except for the live music and, if so, what do they do when there is no score to certain scenes?

When I saw Williams perform the Last Crusade train bit live, there was still film sound effects and dialogue while Williams was conducting the music; Odd that yours was different.

In these concerts, you always hear the film's dialogue and sound effects throughout, over speaks in the room.

In theory it should be no different to watching the film in a cinema, but in reality, the music usually dominates, particularly as the orchestra is live.

Hearing Star Trek with no interference from mixing, was absolutely phenomenal. Moreso than the other LtPs I've seen because of how flat the OST sounds.

The other issue is applause during the film during significant musical moments, such as main titles, classic moments, etc. Personally I don't mind this, because seeing the film is only part of the experience - the other part is hearing the music live, and the collective audience reaction. Watching the build-up to the main title reveal, and Spock's narration at the end, were two moments where everyone was in collective awe. Certainly one of the best cinematic experiences I've ever had.

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Jay said:

When I saw Williams perform the Last Crusade train bit live, there was still film sound effects and dialogue while Williams was conducting the music; Odd that yours was different.

When I saw him conduct that sequence (as well as E.T.) back in 2005 in New York it had sound/dialogue.  It may have been an issue with the orchestra hall or sound equipment they had.

The point of the presentation is to first show the scene with no music at all, to show how how empty it feels, and then play it again with the music added into the mix to show how much of an improvement having music makes.  It'd be odd to show it with music only, and not with the music along with the dialogue and sound effects.

• 3 weeks later...