Williams wins "Film Score Of The Year" + two others in the IMFCA Awards

Jay

1 hour ago, someonefun124 said:

Williams should have won "Composer of the Year" as well.

For one Score? Yes it's brilliant, but Giacchino wrote 4 big Scores for 4 big films. And they were all good scores. He easily deserves it. 

38 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

For one Score? Yes it's brilliant, but Giacchino wrote 4 big Scores for 4 big films. And they were all good scores. He easily deserves it. 

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Agreed.

Quantity over quality?

I'm glad this association was not hesitant about giving the Score of the Year award to The Force Awakens, despite being written for a commercial blockbuster fantasy film. The prize is totally deserved, and I'm really happy for all 3 winnings. Congratulations to our Maestro!

Wonderful news, congratulations Maestro!

The Jedi Steps and Finale is nearly the second best End Credits suite in the Star Wars saga (behind IV and V). What a delight he's embraced these original suite credits since Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Such an improvement on the edited concert suite reprises.

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wonderful news, congratulations Maestro!

The Jedi Steps and Finale is nearly the second best End Credits suite in the Star Wars saga (behind IV and V). What a delight he's embraced these original suite credits since Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Such an improvement on the edited concert suite reprises.

Another IFMCA winner Homecoming from War Horse is perhaps the most fluid example of these wonderful concert suites in the recent years where Williams gathers most of the major themes into such a summation of the score in the end credits yet still finds ways to develop and explore the material further. The Jedi Steps and Finale is up there with the best of its kind from the Maestro.

6 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Another IFMCA winner Homecoming from War Horse is perhaps the most fluid example of these wonderful concert suites in the recent years where Williams gathers most of the major themes of a score into such a summation of the score in the end credits. The Jedi Steps and Finale is up there with the best of its kind from the Maestro.

Well said. Homecoming, The Peterson House and Finale and Finale (from KOTCS) are amazing representations, perfectly surmising the tone of each score while simultaneously presenting each score's primary ideas and themes with such creative flare. That he weaves from one idea to the next with such ease is a reflection of the man's genius.

The Book Thief (final track on that OST) is another masterful piano piece. Was that pieced together from other tracks on the album or another End Credits special? I'm not too familiar with the score.

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well said. Homecoming, The Peterson House and Finale and Finale (from KOTCS) are amazing representations, perfectly surmising the tone of each score while simultaneously presenting each score's primary ideas and themes with such creative flare. That he weaves from one idea to the next with such ease is a reflection of the man's genius.

The Book Thief (final track on that OST) is another masterful piano piece. Was that pieced together from other tracks on the album or another End Credits special? I'm not too familiar with the score.

The end credits piece for The Book Thief is I believe a new arrangement although it does incorporate the elegy heard in The Visitor at Himmel Street in its entirety in the latter half but I think the performance is new, not just edited together with the preceding material. The album version of the piece also ends with one additional rendition of the Death/Providence theme on piano, which does not appear in the film version. Such a beautiful piece.

I really wish we had the chance to ask Williams obscure questions like that; why he decided to stop (at some point in the 90s) and re-start writing these new arrangements for the credits, rather than recycling his concert suites? I can only guess personal fulfillment, or perhaps an epiphany that repeating music from elsewhere on the OST was musically unsatisfying?

Ah, the mysteries we all cling to as JW fans! 

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

I really wish we had the chance to ask Williams obscure questions like that; why he decided to stop (at some point in the 90s) and re-start writing these new arrangements for the credits, rather than recycling his concert suites? I can only guess personal fulfillment, or perhaps an epiphany that repeating music from elsewhere on the OST was musically unsatisfying?

Ah, the mysteries we all cling to as JW fans! 

If given the chance, I would use (at least) one full hour just talking about his work from the late 50s to 1975. And maybe his childhood. Screw the rest! ;)

2 hours ago, Thor said:

If given the chance, I would use (at least) one full hour just talking about his work from the late 50s to 1975. And maybe his childhood. Screw the rest! ;)

Yeah! And this coming from the guy who didn't like TFA!! What the hell is wrong with you? Interested in the scores whe he just practiced with terrible sound. Versus the mastery with brilliant sound/performance. Screw the old ;)

8 hours ago, hornist said:

Yeah! And this coming from the guy who didn't like TFA!! What the hell is wrong with you? Interested in the scores whe he just practiced with terrible sound. Versus the mastery with brilliant sound/performance. Screw the old ;)

This applies to the pre-1969 output right?

15 hours ago, hornist said:

The old rules, the new sucks! These are the facts of life.

On 19 febbraio 2016 at 2:13 PM, crumbs said:

I really wish we had the chance to ask Williams obscure questions like that; why he decided to stop (at some point in the 90s) and re-start writing these new arrangements for the credits, rather than recycling his concert suites?

I think it's actually the other way round--he generally takes the piece written for the end credits roll as the basis for the concert suite, for example The Terminal, Seven Years In Tibet, Harry Potter, Sabrina, Angela's Ashes etc. Sometimes he makes further extensions and/or revisions for the published concert score.

I do wonder how different my perception of a score like TFA would be if the concert suites were not included, and I only had the end credits to rely on as the singular forms of the concert suites.

Or even with something like The Phantom Menace.  I think a Duel of the Fates concert piece needed to be on the album, but what about Anakin's theme?  I think I would appreciate the theme and end credits better if that concert piece hadn't been released separately.

On 18.02.2016 at 6:25 PM, someonefun124 said:

Williams should have won "Composer of the Year" as well.

Nah, this award should to go Giacchino, Pemberton, Morricone or Horner. 

Karol

2 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

John Williams should win composer of the year even in years he has not written anything for films.

Hmmm...you raised an interesting point. Does a composer have to compose anything to be nominated Composer of the Year? Does a writer have to write anything to be nominated Writer of the Year?  Does a director have to direct anything to be nominated Director of the Year? They're still a director if they've directed something in the past, right? Argh my head.

I always regarded "best composer" category in order to recognise personal achievements. It doesn't necessarily represent best music per se, more how a person grows and develops. Horner had an eclectic bunch of scores last year (one of which was very far from his comfort zone), and he also entered the concert world. That counts as some sort of achievement.

I'm not sure whether Williams did anything for his career in 2015 that deserves such recognition. He composed the best score and won in three categories for that. But from a career point of view nothing significant happened. And even his score, while great, isn't exactly anything new or daring for him.

That is how I see it.

Karol

LOL at Giachinno composer of the year, Prolific composer perhaps, but when all you do is write forgettable film score music time after time... 

9 minutes ago, Joey said:

LOL at Giachinno composer of the year, Prolific composer perhaps, but when all you do is write forgettable film score music time after time... 

They're just giving away 'Composer of the Year' awards these days.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Will any of his 4 scores be remembered 4 years from now?

It doesn't matter. It has nothing to do with that. Or not quite.

Karol

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Bollocks!

Karol

You cannot seriously defend him, his output is admirable, but he writes background noise, not music. The only memorable music in Jurassic World is John Williams music which only serves to show how weak and insipid MG's "music" is. 

I don't even remember his score for last years forgettable Disney pixar film.

3 minutes ago, Joey said:

You cannot seriously defend him, his output is admirable, but he writes background noise, not music. The only memorable music in Jurassic World is John Williams music which only serves to show how weak and insipid MG's "music" is. 

I don't even remember his score for last years forgettable Disney pixar film.

This!

Yeah, but nobody besides film music fans remembers The Force Awakens score either. As great as it is, it made little or no impact on the film music landscape. I don't they sold that many albums or that kids are humming new themes. It's all in our tiny community. Fair or not, but true.

Karol