Harper Lee Passes Away at 89

KK

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/19/entertainment/harper-lee-obit-feat/

Well another one of the greats of the last century has passed. To say that To Kill a Mockingbird played a big part in my childhood would be an understatement indeed, and I think that goes for most people in the Americas. I never did bother checking out Go Set a Watchman after I heard the criticism, and I'm not sure I want to now. But I know how much she's moved a nation, and the world at that. May she rest in peace.

11 minutes ago, KK. said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/19/entertainment/harper-lee-obit-feat/

Well another one of the greats of the last century has passed. To say that To Kill a Mockingbird played a big part in my childhood would be an understatement indeed, and I think that goes for most people in the Americas. I never did bother checking out Go Set a Watchman after I heard the criticism, and I'm not sure I want to now. But I know how much she's moved a nation, and the world at that. May she rest in peace.

Go Set a Watchman's a bit rough around the edges (would've benefited from the editing her debut novel received), and the circumstances surrounding its publishing remain iffy, but it's definitely worth of a look.

I always wanted to see the prequel, to see Atticus Finch defend at his own divorce hearing, to explain why Scout has no mother. 

Don't tell me she died of fever or something dull, we can retcon it. 

I think people's main problem with it that it showed Finch in a very different light. But I'll take your word for it Alan and check it out eventually.

RIP.

To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my favourites and inspired e.g. one of my favourite film scores of all time. Even though she didn't produce a huge literary body of work afterwards, she earned her immortality on that novel alone.

i have never found the love for the book and certainly not the film. It has the worst child acting. It makes it rough though Brock and Gregory give great performances. 

The book was tedious and the fact that it was used as a teaching tool only made it worse. 

how is not liking an old white lady's one and only true novel racist since I am white as white cornmeal?

On a side note she lived a long and good life, she had a good run.