Marco Beltrami's Gods of Egypt

crocodile

The album CD will be out next month from Varese Sarabande.

Gods-of-Egypt-Soundtrack.jpg

The score, while modern, is the most old-fashioned Marco Beltrami score in quite some time. Certainly stronger than Seventh Son, and it contains several themes (and even two concert suites!). Not terribly original, of course, and doubt it will be ever lauded as a masterpiece. But it's really enjoyable, especially if you listen to it more than once.

Sadly, I couldn't locate any samples yet. But then, I doubt samples would do justice.

You can read my review here.

Karol

• 1 month later...

Have been listening to this a bit of late. 

This is truly a spectacular score. The best of the year so far, dare I say.

Many of the themes are very interesting (there are atleast 5 clear themes) and they are intelligently applied and orchestrated.

I think this might very well be a 5 star effort.

It certainly doesn't have as much character.  Beltrami, like Tyler, is someone who has yet to wow me, considering their level of musical training.  One wants to blame it on the filmmakers, but for how long is that a sustainable excuse?

Though Beltrami certainly is a better writer than Tyler on a technical level, he lacks a bit of thematic punch for these kind of colourful adventure movies. But it's a burden with many recent composer's themes for this genre: the themes always sound like a computer got feeded all genre clichés and then ejects a tune that sounds somewhat right but never is really memorable. Which, of course, many film music fans never seem to notice if only a 100-piece orchestra is banging it out.

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

3:10 To Yuma. 'Nuff said.

Has some good parts, but overall doesn't make much impression on me.

I have trouble with his very sparse style a lot of the time. It's a case where when it works, it's genius, but when it doesn't, it comes off as a bit boring.

The last Beltrami score I bought was The Homesman, which has some nice ideas, interspersed with some somewhat less interesting passages (exactly like the film).

I think he's a case where the works in the film vs listening experience debate reignites.

13 hours ago, publicist said:

Though Beltrami certainly is a better writer than Tyler on a technical level, he lacks a bit of thematic punch for these kind of colourful adventure movies. But it's a burden with many recent composer's themes for this genre: the themes always sound like a computer got feeded all genre clichés and then ejects a tune that sounds somewhat right but never is really memorable. Which, of course, many film music fans never seem to notice if only a 100-piece orchestra is banging it out.

I will agree with this. Few themes today are really memorable. They sound kinda samey, blend into each other, seem reminiscent of other themes and/or are very generic. 

But few large scale scores even attempt a thematic approach - of having 6-7 themes/motifs for characters and places and building a score around that.

You get soundscapes and what not these days.

So I atleast liked Beltrami's thematic approach and his orchestration and instrumentation is creative and interesting. The themes are infact a big generic but they are nicely applied.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...