NEW Video: "The Sound of a Galaxy: Inside the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Soundtrack"

rpvee

Hmm.. so did John Williams actually conduct "Main Title" and "End Title" at one point? The album lists Gustavo Dudamel as guest conductor for those pieces but maybe he conducted some of the takes used?

Great little video! love that Williams talks in the language of Themes. My favourite thing about scores is the discovery of different thematic ideas and how they begin and grow into their ultimate shape. And the fact that themes are the single most important thing in his writing process is wonderful. First thing he says in the video is that he was very happy to be able to continue adding to the glossary of themes.

Also Daisy Ridley and John Boyega continue to be adorable no matter what they say or do. 

I think this video bodes well for a longer feature in the bluray/dvd release. If Disney has taken the time to make this short video just to advertise the album, imagine the kind of behind the scenes look into the scoring process they'll put together for the movie home release. I hope its a loooong behind the scenes look.

Unreleased Rebel fanfare at 0:24?

Great little video! He hints that he wrote Rey's Theme as an undeveloped piece which doesn't realise its full potential in this score. Let's hope he comes back to develop it in VIII!

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Great little video! He hints that he wrote Anakin's Theme as an undeveloped piece which doesn't realise its full potential in this score. Let's hope he comes back to develop it in episode II!

Fixed!

I like how Disney is emphasising the score for this movie, and it very well deserves it too. As artguy said, I'm also hoping for a solid documentary on the music for the blu-ray release.

This has made my entire week. Thanks so much for sharing. So great to hear the Maestro share his thoughts on the scoring process and his part in the franchise as a whole. 

Screen Shot 2016 02 22 at 9 17 45 PM

I think this might be my new favorite picture of Williams. 

And, lastly, below are the top 3 comments on the YouTube version of this video. Warms me heart
John Williams Seuss

2 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Wonder if all this publicity will help him win the Oscar?

While a couple months ago it seemed doubtful, I'm definitely much less skeptical now and a lot more optimistic regarding his chances. 

1 hour ago, zoltan_902 said:

That's nice, but on the BD disc, I want a 1 hour documentary talking about the music. This was just a painful tease.

Yeah, I hope and expect there to be a lot of extensive making of stuff on the blu-rey. 

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Come on, Morricone deserves this. Though he could get another chance with the new Malick film, Voyage of Time.

I've not seen Hateful 8 (not a Tarantino fan), but the best composer should win, not just JW for the sake of his fan boys.

Thank you for sharing the video rpvee!

2 hours ago, zoltan_902 said:

Morricone's success at the GG's and BAFTAS indicate heavily otherwise.

Williams lost to Santaolalla after winning both GG and BAFTA for Memoirs of a Geisha. What a travesty that was.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Williams lost to Santaolalla after winning both GC and BAFTA for Memoirs of a Geisha. What a travesty that was.

But golly, what a memorable 17 minutes of guitar solos that score was! 

It should replace E.T. in their closing credits suite.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:
1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Don't forget the next year's winner Babel. It made sure Santaolalla has more Oscars than Jerry every did. Or quite a few other prominent film composers. Not that I am bitter or anything.

Also to the topic at hand I have to say it's always wonderful to see the Maestro at work with the orchestra. Even though he is such a gentle and kind soul it is always great to see the consummate professional music maker emerge when he steps onto the podium, a professional who knows what he wants and guides the orchestra firmly to the desired result and enables them to give the best possible performance for him.

This is why I don't give a shit about awards. :P

As for the new video, I'm loving the little glimpses of sheet music for the following:

* the main title (titled simply "Opening", no slate number)

* an unused/unreleased alternate cue entitled "1M1A (Free Version) (Opening / Starry Night)"

* "Rey's Theme (10/7/15 longer version)"

* the beginning of a sketch for a scene featuring both 3PO and BB-8 - possibly the cue that starts off the OST's "Rey Meets BB-8"

* a bit of full score (?) for the FYC's "Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle" (it doesn't show the original cue title)

Great video! I love how Daisy reacted the same way as nearly all of us would :D

It’s always nice to see Williams recording with the orchestra, it just feels right. Boy I hope somehow he is immortal :D

I’m depressed that here in our country’s most famous movie site there are only 4 comments to it (but at least they posted it), and from that 4 comment 3 is the same complaint that you’ve all heard before. I mean, come on, one says the typical “prequels were better, Duel of the fates, only Rey, if I listen to the old stuff they’re beautiful”, the other says “It breaks my heart but he should be replaced”, and the third simply said “nothing memorable”, without real arguments.

I don’t know if that’s really a Hungarian thing, to be this negative, but I’ve read as much negative things about the film in general on this site as on any other site or forum combined. Is it general bitterness, different generations, or just nostalgia goggles?

Anyway, I love hearing Williams talk, you can hear that he’s an intelligent person just by listening to him. That was my first reaction when I heard him, and that was my mother’s first reaction when I showed him a video. And she’s a more traditional classical music lover, but one that absolutely respects him too.

All in all, lovely video :)

I'm sure there's more unreleased stuff that we can imagine. I also happily noticed the cue titles, and I'm confident we'll eventually get the complete recordings on a future edition. I don't know when it will be done, but I'm pretty sure we'll get it.

It's a better video than the usual PR stuff, with some actual talk about construction of the themes.

Williams seems to be more open about people hearing the unreleased material in this case. Combined with Disney's understandable need to milk the franchise, I can see an expanded set being possible. Even an isolated score would be better than nothing.

I will be amazed if it doesn't go to Morricone. Everything is in his favour - GG & Bafta wins, token voting, weird name, no 'real' oscar for a life's work.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You're a nice guy, richuk, and I like you, but using the "weird name" argument with Morricone is downright stupid!

Yeah we all know it is going to be a "pity" win for Morricone for all the lost Oscars.

I hope Williams could get a pity win but alas he is beyond pity with his 5 oscars and a name everybody knows.

1 hour ago, Scarpia said:

I'm sure there's more unreleased stuff that we can imagine. I also happily noticed the cue titles, and I'm confident we'll eventually get the complete recordings on a future edition. I don't know when it will be done, but I'm pretty sure we'll get it.

The bonus features are usually a treasure trove of unreleased music because they use the film's score in menus, documentaries and whatnot.

And don't rule out an isolated score (unlikely, but possible!)