NEW Video: "The Sound of a Galaxy: Inside the Star Wars: The Force Awakens Soundtrack"

rpvee

Some Blu-rays (not many) feature a completely separate, clean audio track with only the score. No sound effects or dialogue, just music. The Alien Blu-ray set is a good example of this, containing both the original scores intended by the composer, and also a film version of the scores (which was radically different in the case of the first two films).

It's probably unlikely Disney will do this because it eats into sales of an inevitable soundtrack double-dip, but you never know!

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Some Blu-rays (not many) feature a completely separate, clean audio track with only the score. No sound effects or dialogue, just music. The Alien Blu-ray set is a good example of this, containing both the original scores intended by the composer, and also a film version of the scores (which was radically different in the case of the first two films).

It's probably unlikely Disney will do this because it eats into sales of an inevitable soundtrack double-dip, but you never know!

Yeah, one would think it wouldn't be in the commercial interests of the studio to do this.

18 minutes ago, zoltan_902 said:

How do you 'isolate' the score? I've seen this dome a few times, but I though the music was always mixed permanently in with dialogue and effects.

The studios who make the film have each audio element separated, of course, so that's how they can put an iso score track on a DVD or BD.  Of course, you don't have to do it that way; Twilight Time will often use recording sessions to build an iso score track from that.

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Realized something just now: all the bonus features of Disney Blu-Rays have 5.1 audio with the music 100% clean on the rear channels (I know that because I got some unreleased music from a few films that way), and now Star Wars is owned by Disney, so...

Wow, really!? Just imagine if they include a 3 hour long doco with clean music in the rear channels!

Let's just hope they mostly use TFA music and not OT stuff like in many featurettes.

2 minutes ago, karelm said:

I can't wait to see next year's Oscar race when our talk is consumed with two octogenarian titans… Williams for The BFG and Morricone for Voyage of Time. 

Why even discuss it it? Just hand JW the oscar now.

6 minutes ago, hornist said:

No. Williams will win this year and next year it is Morricones turn....to lose.

"No Mr. Morricone, I expect you to lose."

blofeld.jpg

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I know, right?

And what did you do with your new found enlightenment?

I see you were completely revivified. It's what a 3 minute JW video does to you. With a 10 minute one you might have felt re-envigorated to the degree that it would have enabled you to take put the bins and make the bed and cook some dinner.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You're a nice guy, richuk, and I like you, but using the "weird name" argument with Morricone is downright stupid!

It's the only factor that matters! So many non-Americans with weird foreign names have beaten John Williams for the Academy Award. Luis Bacalov, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Tan Dun, Gustavo Santaolalla, Nicola Piovani, Jan AP Kaczmarek, Ludovic Bource, Howard Shore. The list goes on forever!

11 hours ago, artguy360 said:

JW got robbed the oscar for Memoirs and Morricone got robbed the oscar for The Mission. Both loss to far inferior scores. Whose justice will be done this year?

If Memoirs would have been a better film, or at least a better received film, then we could enjoy the memory of celebrating his first win during this board's existence.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

A mind-blowing 3 minutes of video, it's changed my life. 

You are being fatuous as ever, but I have to say that these days I do find it rather emotional to see John Williams perform his music.

And as promo's go this was a good one.

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Haven't we moved past pointing out typos yet?

Yes.  we have moved on to throwing temper tantrums anytime a JW fan gets excited about something related to JW. 

6 hours ago, Ricard said:

Wrong villain! :P

And Morricone will win of course...

Nonsense! Bond villains all wish Bond to die and Morricone to lose an Oscar.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

What's that dangling from his arm?

A spare turtleneck, which he keeps on his shoulders.

This thread has everything!  Williams scoring stage antics, Williams being a Ridley fanboy, people getting pissed about excitement over something they deem inconsequential, people getting pissed at the people getting pissed about excitement over something they deem inconsequential, grammar/spelling wars, and worries about Williams' health.

26 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

My grandfather has one of those on his head.  Looks like a cyst that's been drained.  Nothing too worrisome.

I think we should have a John Williams body and cranial analysis thread to go into all these details and speculations.

55 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

This thread has everything!  Williams scoring stage antics, Williams being a Ridley fanboy, people getting pissed about excitement over something they deem inconsequential, people getting pissed at the people getting pissed about excitement over something they deem inconsequential, grammar/spelling wars, and worries about Williams' health.

He who reads a JWFan thread, reads the world entire.

13 hours ago, Michael said:

The reaction of the guys in the background is quite amusing. Like they go "whoa!"

The guy on the right is William Ross.

On 2/22/2016 at 5:14 PM, crumbs said:

Unreleased Rebel fanfare at 0:24?

Can't tell, if its unreleased it could be an alternate of Farewell and the Trip

Great little tease. Hearing the Main Theme take made me even more curious why the one take which ultimately ended up in the movie and the soundtracks was the one which begins sounding like a MIDI synth mockup made by a complete beginner.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Great little tease. Hearing the Main Theme take made me even more curious why the one take which ultimately ended up in the movie and the soundtracks was the one which begins sounding like a MIDI synth mockup made by a complete beginner.

Are you sure it's a different take?