No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

Yes, and while I respect Mendes' work for that film, and to a lesser extent SPECTRE, it's pretty clear they wanted a Nolan-like movie, but they cannot get Nolan to direct a Bond film without giving him complete final cut rights, not Tarantino, or any serious "name" director. And since they apparently don't wanna do they they should just go for competent craftsman.

They're only Bond films by the end of the day, after all.

Agreed.

I for one wish they'd drop the entire subtext of Bond's past in these films. IMO it's OK to know a little about Bond's past, but certainly no more than the glimpse we got in Skyfall.  I understand Craig is all about personalising the character to an extent never before, but I think you can only take that so far before Bond loses some of his mystique. 

It worked well up until SPECTRE. We meet Bond's long lost foster brother and Bond doesnt give a shit.

Bond's aloofness worked in Skyfall, when he went back to his roots. It doesnt work with the person who's supposed to be his Nemesis.

Come to think of it. If Skyfall firmly established Bond doesnt give a shit about his childhood, who give him a brother?

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

while I respect Mendes' work for that film, and to a lesser extent SPECTRE, it's pretty clear they wanted a Nolan-like movie, but they cannot get Nolan

I like Christopher Nolan, but I would never consider Sam Mendes to be a step down.

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It worked well up until SPECTRE. We meet Bond's long lost foster brother and Bond doesnt give a shit.

Bond's aloofness worked in Skyfall, when he went back to his roots. It doesnt work with the person who's supposed to be his Nemesis.

Come to think of it. If Skyfall firmly established Bond doesnt give a shit about his childhood, who give him a brother?

Just because he doesn't give a shit about his brother doesn't negate the fact that he has a brother.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I like Christopher Nolan, but I would never consider Sam Mendes to be a step down.

Artistically he isnt. Far from it. But if Nolan directs a film it is a CHRISTOPHER NOLAN film. He's far more a name director than Mendes.

Financially I'm sure EON could hire him, but I don't think they would ever wanna give him full creative control over their next film.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Good point. In a similar contradictory fashion, Skyfall has Q's magnificent 'Were you expecting an exploding pen? We don't really go in for that sort of thing any more' ... only for him to present Bond with an exploding watch in SPECTRE.     

58 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Never Say Never Again is not an official Bond film, PERIOD!

Yeah, I know. ;) 

But to be fair, the film is included in almost all Bond rankings that I've seen, and there's a great deal of affection for it among many Bond fans.

BTW, if you haven't seen this, it's very entertaining and probably one of the best rankings of these films I've seen from a pretty knowledgable group. It's long, but worth a listen for those truly into Bondage.

So...is THUNDERBIRDS not official because it wasn't made by Gerry Anderson?

Is STAR TREKs II to XIII not official, because they weren't made by Gene Roddenberry?

Is EPSISODES VI to IX not official, because they weren't made by George Lucas?

Is NU WHO not official because it's not made by Newman/Lambert?

When does something become "unofficial"?

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

So...is THUNDERBIRDS not official because it wasn't made by Gerry Anderson?

Is STAR TREKs II to XIII not official, because they weren't made by Gene Roddenberry?

Is EPSISODES VI to IX not official, because they weren't made by George Lucas?

Is NU WHO not official because it's not made by Newman/Lambert?

When does something become "unofficial"?

Have any of these spend decades in court over this matter?

I think you can not deny that legally speaking, NSNA is in no way an official Bond film

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Have any of these spend decades in court over this matter?

I think you can not deny that legally speaking, NSNA is in no way an official Bond film

Which Quicksilver is "official"? The one on the X-Men universe or the one in the MCU?

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Actually, Nick, I'm English, and the correct phrase is "NOW SEE HERE, MY GOOD MAN, IT'S NOT CRICKET!"

I originally wrote English, but I wasn't sure. But you're also British in any event! Deal with it. ;)

NSNA doesn't have the 'gunbarrel' opening, or the Bond theme music. It has an insipidly crap song, a villain performance from Klaus-Maria Brandauer that seems to be from another movie entirely, Le Frenais and Clement recycling a joke from 'Porridge' (the 'beaker filling' exchange), and it wastes Rowan Atkinson. 

Thunderball is much, much better.        

• 2 weeks later...

There is this certain sound effect David Arnold used in some of the Bond songs he produced that always caught my attention. I don't know exactly what you call it, but it's this weird electronic buzzing sound right before kd Lang starts singing in "Surrender". You can even hear it in the songs he remade with artists on the Shaken and Stirred compilation album, and he would go onto use it for Bassey's "No Good About Goodbye".