No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

hmmm probably in the film bond will work on his own outside MI6. the new 007 girl will help him. the will continue retired...or die. If the femaler character works and people like her...she will probably be the new "bond" for the future films. So 007 will remain for the franchise but with name change with every reboot when the actor/actress gets too old. so we will see very diverse "bonds" if the future...wich seems what some people wanted (instead of creating original films about secret agents...)

After some of the other title rumours ('Genoma Of A Woman', anyone? Yeah, thought not) No Time To Die is fine by me. 

This is actually only the 4th time in 25 movies that 'Die' has featured in the title, BTW. 

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

hmmm probably in the film bond will work on his own outside MI6. the new 007 girl will help him. the will continue retired...or die. If the femaler character works and people like her...she will probably be the new "bond" for the future films. So 007 will remain for the franchise but with name change with every reboot when the actor/actress gets too old. so we will see very diverse "bonds" if the future...wich seems what some people wanted (instead of creating original films about secret agents...)

Better end it if that's their plan. Christ.

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

hmmm probably in the film bond will work on his own outside MI6. the new 007 girl will help him. the will continue retired...or die. If the femaler character works and people like her...she will probably be the new "bond" for the future films.

Naah, Bond will shag her and get his 007 back, and we’ll never hear from her again.

So, random, but, I made a list of the actors’ ages when they did James Bond movies:

Sean Connery 32-41; 53 - average 38

George Lazenby 30 - average 30

Roger Moore 45-57 - average 51

Timothy Dalton 41-43 - average 42

Pierce Brosnan 42-49 - average 45

Daniel Craig 38-52 - average 45

Kind of interesting how originally James Bond was a young man, but now he’s a daddy figure.

3 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Naah, Bond will shag her and get his 007 back, and we’ll never hear from her again.

So, random, but, I made a list of the actors’ ages when they did James Bond movies:

Kind of interesting how originally James Bond was a young man, but now he’s a daddy figure.

He never looked or came off that young.

3 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

I think Bond is the one single original mainstream hero that is meant to be an older man. I might actually think that a Bond younger than 35 might be too young. Bond has to be an older man. A worldly man. A man with experience.

I think you get that sense from the books too. You never think of Bond as a young man. I think that would be a wrong reading of the character.

I think Bond is and has always been adult entertainment despite its rating. Marketing will tell you otherwise and want it to be a four quadrant blockbuster. But it is by its nature a franchise aimed at older audiences. I could easily see it with an R rating and always wondered that they never ever tried with that. But I guess the US rating system leads the way so they are stuck in the PG13 groove.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I haven't really been paying attention to the developments with this film, but noticed recently that Neal Purvis and Robert Wade aren't the primary writers of this one, after they have been on every Bond film since TWINE.  Fukunaga himself co-wrote the script with some dude I'd never heard of named Scott Z. Burns.... and then they brought in Phoebe Waller-Bridge to, according to the source used on the wikipedia article, "provided a script polish in April 2019 to add more humour and to make the characters more believable"

PWB is someone who wasn't on my radar whatsoever until a few weeks ago, when we started watching her TV show (she writes every episode and stars in it), Fleabag.  Fleabag is pretty funny, but it's also super dark, and I later realized she's the same writer who created Killing Eve, which we also watched.  Killing Eve is about British intelligence agents, so that gives her some pedigree to be hired to this I guess... however while season 1 of Killing Eve was fine, season 2 was a clustercuddle of lame writing,   Wikipedia says she wasn't the head writer for season 2 though, and no episodes are credited to her, so maybe she wasn't that involved.

Anyways, if the kind of humor she's adding to the script is similar to the Fleabag style of comedy, I can't see that meshing with the current Bond films at all, but I suppose she's probably talented enough to have a good idea of the right kind of humor to add.  I also saw this on Wikipedia "Producer Barbara Broccoli announced that Bond's attitude towards women would change in No Time to Die as a response to the Me Too movement.  Waller-Bridge argued that the character of Bond had to stay true to its original creation and that it was the responsibility of the wider film industry to treat women more respectfully."

I'm sure it'll be much ado about nothing, the purported change in attitude.  Bond has always changed with the times to some degree.  Who can forget Judi Dench calling Brosnan a "sexist, misogynist dinosaur."

On 9/27/2019 at 11:20 AM, Jay said:

some dude I'd never heard of named Scott Z. Burns

Burns actually co-wrote The Bourne Ultimatum and was the main writer on a handful of Soderbergh thrillers, like The Informant, Contagion and The Laundromat.

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Informant, Contagion and The Laundromat.

I really like the first two and I'm looking forward to the latter!  I didn't realize Contagion had haters until recently, I thought it was a fun disaster thriller.

Yea I liked Contagion too!  I've liked every Soderbergh film I've seen I think, other than the disappointing Ocean's sequels that didn't need to exist

On 9/27/2019 at 10:38 AM, Disco Stu said:

I really like the first two and I'm looking forward to the latter!  I didn't realize Contagion had haters until recently, I thought it was a fun disaster thriller.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:44 AM, Jay said:

Yea I liked Contagion too!  I've liked every Soderbergh film I've seen I think, other than the disappointing Ocean's sequels that didn't need to exist

I really enjoyed Contagion as well. Cool electronic score from Martinez!

On 9/27/2019 at 7:24 AM, Disco Stu said:

I'm sure it'll be much ado about nothing, the purported change in attitude.  Bond has always changed with the times to some degree.  Who can forget Judi Dench calling Brosnan a "sexist, misogynist dinosaur."

I relic of the Cold War...

I don't expect or particularly want to see the likes of Bond 'forcing himself' on Pussy Galore from Goldfinger, threatening to break Andrea's arm unless she tells him what she wants to know from Golden Gun or 'playfully' slapping Moneypenny's arse from The Living Daylights ... it's 2019, after all. 

That said, 'woke' Bond sounds quite cringeworthy so Waller-Bridge's comment that the industry has to change as opposed to the character is welcome.       

On 9/28/2019 at 12:20 AM, Jay said:

I also saw this on Wikipedia "Producer Barbara Broccoli announced that Bond's attitude towards women would change in No Time to Die as a response to the Me Too movement.  Waller-Bridge argued that the character of Bond had to stay true to its original creation and that it was the responsibility of the wider film industry to treat women more respectfully."

(Y) Let the films tell the stories they want, let everyone else make their own minds up on the current climate. 

I see what you're saying, Steef, but it comes back to this: Bond kills people for a living. He kills who he has to, when he has to, where he has to, and how he has to. Sometimes, that includes women. He said so, in SPECTRE. There's no way that can be made "PC".

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I see what you're saying, Steef, but it comes back to this: Bond kills people for a living. He kills who he has to, when he has to, where he has to, and how he has to. Sometimes, that includes women. He said so, in SPECTRE. There's no way that can be made "PC".

He's just a tool.

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Bond is a "sexist, misogynist dinosaur", and long may he continue as one.

Wasn't he temporarily a henpecked sissy in the shape of Dalton who portrayed him as 'the new man'?

29 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm afraid I don't know who John Wick, lol is.

No? He's the main character of his trilogy, played by Keanu Reeves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wick

All of the three movies are great. Reeves gives a fine performance, the fight/chase scenes are brilliantly choreographed and the worldbuilding is impressive. Also, the character is probably the best action hero new to the movies since Damon's Bourne, so I recommend you checking out the movies.

In any case, the joke was that this stuff of killing anybody he has to describes almost every action hero, not only Bond.