No Time To Die (James Bond #25)

Jay

33 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That songs represents all that is wrong with music today.

I am affraid the newer generation has come and taken over...

(No idea where that leaves Zimmer tho)

20 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

Isnt Zimmer an official Boomer?

Well, he was born in 1957, so yeah, he is ;). Along with JNH, Elfman, Horner, and a lot of others. Most of his minions are Gen Zrs, though.

Williams is not even a boomer, he is before them.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Surely you mean Xers?

7 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Yes Gen Z is 1997-Present. Oldest Gen z are about 23 now.

Yeah, exactly.

Eilish is a Gen Z, for instance. I imagine Zimmer trying to suggest some changes to the music, and then she "Ok, boomer".

I didn't dislike the song... Is not great, but I prefer this song than Spectre, for instance. In any case I'm more interested in the score, although I could imagine how is going to be.

I've seen lots of smart, articulate people who sometimes have taste that aligns with mine praising Eilish and her brother.  I've listened to this song and a couple of of her hits, and I just don't hear anything special or interesting.

Of course she's only 18, so maybe their music will develop into something I'm more into.

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

The last James Bond song I genuinely enjoyed was You Know My Name

I don't like that one as much as some, but I guess same for me.  The last one I really really like is "The World is Not Enough." 

Well, I told y'all she was a terrible choice.  

She did not put any of her edgy and quirky stuff into it, so instead of being a train-wreck it is incredibly safe and boring. 

I still think she will win an Oscar for this. You know they are dying to give her an Oscar. She basically won all the grammys. And she has already performed at the Oscars.

The song is nice but I really wish she would do a version without mumbling and with open vocals.

3 hours ago, Romão said:

The last James Bond song I genuinely enjoyed was You Know My Name

It's the best Bond song since at least Goldeneye. While Skyfall is very good, I'll never understand why it gets so much more praise than YKMN.

I like Eilish but on first listen don't care too much for this.   I like the older ones where they basically had singers just belting out Barry's great melodies, and after Man With the Golden Gun, I'm very hit or miss with liking any Bond songs.  I did like Cornell's though.

I take issue with Chris Cornell's voice aesthetically.  That sort of husky sensitive-yet-masculine grunge singer (see also: Scott Stapp, Eddie Vedder) I just find unappealing to listen to.  The song is pretty good though.

27 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Anyone else kinda like it?

I would imagine I'll like it better on a subsequent listen, or on a listen where I'm not holding my phone up to my ear at its lowest volume in my office!

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I take issue with Chris Cornell's voice aesthetically.  That sort of husky sensitive-yet-masculine grunge singer (see also: Scott Stapp, Eddie Vedder) I just find unappealing to listen to.  The song is pretty good though.

I think that's an interesting comparison - I've never lumped Cornell into that "butt-rock" category with Vedder, Stapp, Nickelback Jones or whoever that is, etc.  I might have included STP's Scott Weiland, but Cornell has always seemed like an outlier to me.  Unlike those bands, Soundgarden was always somewhat inaccessible to me beyond the singles - bordering too close to metal, maybe?  Anyway, I never really dig too much Cornell, whereas I could pop on a Pearl Jam or STP album and it would be mindless and fine.  I do like his voice though - he had a heck of a range, and a lot of power.

10 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I would imagine I'll like it better on a subsequent listen, or on a listen where I'm not holding my phone up to my ear at its lowest volume in my office!

Ah, the old "attentive listening in a phone conversation" trick.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I wasn't even pretending - I have my own office, but I just don't like to bother people with noise.  And iPhones don't have headphone jacks, unfortunately.

You need a better phone then. ;)

The only song I didn't like from the current dark and disturbing series was the Sam Smith (?) one. People also gave the Jack Black song shit, but that one was funky and kinda awesome.

I wish!

I hated the Quantum of Solace song, but by and large I haven't liked any of his stuff, so it must just not be for me.

The Madonna song was more of a disappointment for me, because at least I typically like her.